Civitavecchia NEW shuttle bus stop

little britain

The location has moved from the white tented area opposite the fire station. 
It is now an 8 min walk from the fire station to where the new bus stops are.

Pic showing walking route.

If you want to go from

ship to train station the €3 shuttle bus now starts from the ship itself - you no longer take the shuttle bus then swap to the station bus.

Pic showing busses at the cruise terminal 

102A2D65-C83B-40FB-8B80-3D5712084957.png

75112AB5-12E2-45D6-A8A3-3F6AFAF21917.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, good to know. We’re in no rush to get to the train train station and then on to the airport. We’re staying at the Hilton at the airport because we’d never make a 9:15 flight the day of  Edge returns to port.  Cheap train ride, yay.  

Edited by eileen5412

6 hours ago, little britain said:

The location has moved from the white tented area opposite the fire station. 
It is now an 8 min walk from the fire station to where the new bus stops are.

Pic showing walking route.

If you want to go from

ship to train station the €3 shuttle bus now starts from the ship itself - you no longer take the shuttle bus then swap to the station bus.

Pic showing busses at the cruise terminal 

102A2D65-C83B-40FB-8B80-3D5712084957.png

75112AB5-12E2-45D6-A8A3-3F6AFAF21917.jpeg

Thanks for this information. Do you know if the shuttle buses from the train station go directly to the ships or do you have to change shuttles at the new stop to get to your ship? Thanks.

7 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Thanks for this information. Do you know if the shuttle buses from the train station go directly to the ships or do you have to change shuttles at the new stop to get to your ship? Thanks.

It goes directly to the cruise terminal and it cost 3 euros per person.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

If you want to go from ship to train station the €3 shuttle bus now starts from the ship itself and is direct 

38 minutes ago, little britain said:

If you want to go from ship to train station the €3 shuttle bus now starts from the ship itself and is direct 

Thanks. I want to go from the train station to the ship. Was hoping it was direct to the ship rather than having to change shuttles at the shuttle stop.

18 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Thanks. I want to go from the train station to the ship. Was hoping it was direct to the ship rather than having to change shuttles at the shuttle stop.

It’s direct in both directions 

• Thanks 2

It might be a better solution if you're on a mega ship/docked at pier #25 but if you're at 10 - 13 it would be faster to walk.

On foot you can walk out the fortress gate right to the station, the bus must travel to the other end of the port and exit there, tripling or quadrupling the distance covered.

If you're out at the end of the long quay, at #12 or #13 you can use the free port bus to the fort exit, the walk from there is only 600 meters/four-tenths of a mile.

Edited by euro cruiser

The fortress gate isn't on your map, it's just south of that area.

It will be a little confusing to try and compare the two maps, but the port map found here (Map of the Port | Port Mobility Civitavecchia) gives you a fuller view of the area.  Unfortunately, it's not oriented like a typical map with north at the top.  In this map the top is actually west.

So, where your map says "the rock of Civitavecchia" is #4 on the port map.  If you look to the left on the port map, which would be just off the bottom of your map, you'll see "varco fortezza".  That's the pedestrian exit.  Years ago this was a vehicle entrance as well but not anymore (other than emergency vehicles).

You can see that what the buses do is drive you in the opposite direction of the train station.

Prior to Covid there were two different shuttle bus runs from the Vespucci cruise terminal (at pier #12), one direct to the Largo della Pace exit and one that stopped at several points within the port, one of which was the fort so you could get off and walk from there.

I don't know if the shuttle bus that stops at the fort is running again.  The last time I was there (a few years pre-Covid) we walked from the ship to the station, bypassing the shuttle bus altogether.  We were berthed at #12 (I think) and it was about a mile walk.  Since then, in May of 2018, the Vespucci terminal opened.

Edited by euro cruiser

Do you know roughly how many buses there are waiting at any one time? The link mentions they run every 20 minutes so I’d assume that there may be several especially if you’re looking at a ship with 1000’s of passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

Best. News. Ever.

I'm a consummate planner and I have everything ready to rock but for some reason this piece was stressing me out the most because we have a day in Rome before/after our cruise so we won't be coming from the airport on a transfer.  Can't beat door to door service, it was dumb that you had to get to the intermediary stop (I'm sure the taxi drivers are mad!).  I imagine buses at the train station will be marked with your ship name then?  (For departure)

Edited by WorkerBee74

This is fantastic as I have a Civitavecchia embarkation cruise in October.  Perhaps I have a slight masochistic streak in that I enjoy sailing from Civitavecchia but have ended up just getting a taxi direct from the train station to ship the last few times.  Just couldn't face the two bus scenario with kids and heat. 

This is an absolute Godsend.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:48 PM, Albert_Park said:

Do you know roughly how many buses there are waiting at any one time? The link mentions they run every 20 minutes so I’d assume that there may be several especially if you’re looking at a ship with 1000’s of passengers.

I've always been surprised how few cruisers actually do the train journey as opposed to private transfers - even on really busy days. In the past I've never been on a crushed bus from the station and would guess they were about 20 mins apart to take you to that intermediate bus stop.

How long is the journey from ship to station via bus. I’ve booked the 9.07 express to Rome, so would getting off the ship around 8.15am give us enough time?

For info I presume we’ll be at dock 25 as on Wonder of the Seas. Also coming mid July and it’s looking like the ship will be near enough at full capacity of 7,000 passengers.

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, Albert_Park said:

How long is the journey from ship to station via bus. I’ve booked the 9.07 express to Rome, so would getting off the ship around 8.15am give us enough time?

For info I presume we’ll be at dock 25 as on Wonder of the Seas. Also coming mid July and it’s looking like the ship will be near enough at full capacity of 7,000 passengers.

I'm wondering the same as I would like to pre-book the high speed express train as well. Hope someone can answer.

Are you disembarking or is this a port day?  If the former, you'll have some latitude to set a departure time.

Also, on departure days we've been hearing that there are buses directly from the ship to the station, but not on port days.

If you have to do the shuttle bus to Largo della Pace, followed by the local bus to the station, I'd allow at least 30 minutes.  These are very short distances (a mile or less in each case) but it takes longer to load the bus than to make the drive.