Why hasn't Celebrity offered a Covid test the last afternoon of the cruise for those that need it.

TomTN

Guest ldtr
5 hours ago, lexmiller said:

AGREE!  This is not 2 years ago!!  We now have vaccines and boosters that protect from severe disease - many people who get covid now don't even realize that they have it - no symptoms whatsoever or cold symptoms!  It is time to treat covid as an endemic disease - it is here and it is here to stay.  Everyone must get vaxxed and boosted - this is not the bubonic plague.  This is not March 2020.  We must all take responsibility for our own health and the health of others by getting vaxxed and boosted and that's it - time to move one with our lives.

While vaccines have resulted in far fewer serious cases, the death rate for Covid is still 3 times that of the flu.  Even with that, the most serious impact going forward. is not the risk of death, but instead is the other long term impacts and the increase is the odds of a major medical event.  Studies show that the chance of clots, cardiac events, stokes and type 2 diabetes, is more than 50% higher in the population that has had covid (including minor and asymptomatic cases) in the previous year, compared to the population that has not had covid in the previous year.

We clearly are going to have to live with Covid going forward, but do not underestimate the impact upon health in the US, even with reductions in the number of serious cases.

As more and more people consider it to be cold like, fewer will bother with the vaccines and boosters.  One additional concern is that numbers of serious cases may start climbing again as protections wane over time since ones last vaccination.

Health statistics will be interesting for the future in looking at the overall impact of covid. 

Guest ldtr
9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

How about 2-3 hours on a domestic flight? Is that any safer? Where do you draw the line?

If one masks 2-3 hours on a domestic flight is much easier than 10+ hours on an international flight.

One biggest risk when traveling by air is inside the terminal prior to and after the flight, as well as during the boarding and disembarkation process when everyone is moving around and many people come within close range.

When seated risk is limited to a relatively few people within a couple of rows.  The airflow on modern aircraft is top down with inlets and the top of the cabin and exhausts near the floor.  That air flow tends to move are down below ones face.  That  combined with the high number of air exchanges and the quality of the air filter systems makes air travel fairly low risk.

7 minutes ago, ldtr said:

If one masks 2-3 hours on a domestic flight is much easier than 10+ hours on an international flight.

One biggest risk when traveling by air is inside the terminal prior to and after the flight, as well as during the boarding and disembarkation process when everyone is moving around and many people come within close range.

When seated risk is limited to a relatively few people within a couple of rows.  The airflow on modern aircraft is top down with inlets and the top of the cabin and exhausts near the floor.  That air flow tends to move are down below ones face.  That  combined with the high number of air exchanges and the quality of the air filter systems makes air travel fairly low risk.

Great points and agree.  Problem is that many Americans do not (cannot?) follow simple protocols for keeping themselves and their fellow passengers safe.  Vaccination rates in the US are well below those within the EU.  While people around the globe are crying for vaccinations, many Americans eschew being vaccinated, go maskless in high density areas, and and will not abide by simple and easy to follow procedures.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 2:25 PM, Expo67 said:

lol Gee can you imagine how the wifi onboard would react to 1000+ paxs getting online for a proctored video conference. 😵💫 And the cruiselines wonder why folks are reluctant to cruise overseas it out of country where a negative test results is required to fly in. 😂 Time for the CDC to get their heads out of their you know what and rescind the mandatory neg test. If people can fly domestically as well as drive, take a train or bus into the country without a neg test then the requirement for international flights for fully vaxed people of US citizenship should also be amended. My 2 cents worth. 🤭

There won't be thousands as the number of guests who immediately fly back to an international destination that requires the tests is very low.

But the onboard internet is completely useless to begin with and that includes XCelerate Stream. You can't rely on that for completing your test within 20 min of super stable connection. I can't think of a single X cruise where the supposed "stream" connection was even close to satisfactory.

You best bet would be to establish a connection through your cellphone or ipad once in port.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:02 PM, Silkroad said:

I agree with some of the reasoning in previous posts, but I have an additional point. Medical is already stretched thin managing Covid cases on some cruises. They haven’t time to administer tests for disembarking pax.

They had enough time before so to suggest that suddenly they're too busy is laughable. Last year they even offered PCR tests onboard.

You don't need staff from the medical department to certify/supervise approved antigen tests. Just like last years tests weren't taken by the medical team.

The only purpose why this isn't being offered anymore is because Celebrity (and other lines who follow the same MO) don't want to be responsible for positive cases anymore. Be it for accommodation, transportation or even a simple case count.

One solution could be to take your own test and if you test positive the day before disembarking report to medical. Or don't say anything and find another solution depending on where the ship docks. Easier to get back to the U.S. from Vancouver via land border (no test required) than from Europe for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

Guest ldtr
26 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

There won't be thousands as the number of guests who immediately fly back to an international destination that requires the tests is very low.

But the onboard internet is completely useless to begin with and that includes XCelerate Stream. You can't rely on that for completing your test within 20 min of super stable connection. I can't think of a single X cruise where the supposed "stream" connection was even close to satisfactory.

You best bet would be to establish a connection through your cellphone or ipad once in port.

I suspect that Celebrity and the other lines would prefer if people tested with eMed after they got off of the ship.  After all if someone tested positive you would expect that they would contact the medical center to document the positive case such that expenses would be reimbursed.  Though some would probably rebook their flight out of Seattle and find land transportation across the border and not tell anyone.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

In theory it moves from top to bottom but people are moving , talking etc , so the flow is going all over the place 

I will always wear a mask when flying 

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

While vaccines have resulted in far fewer serious cases, the death rate for Covid is still 3 times that of the flu.  Even with that, the most serious impact going forward. is not the risk of death, but instead is the other long term impacts and the increase is the odds of a major medical event.  Studies show that the chance of clots, cardiac events, stokes and type 2 diabetes, is more than 50% higher in the population that has had covid (including minor and asymptomatic cases) in the previous year, compared to the population that has not had covid in the previous year.

We clearly are going to have to live with Covid going forward, but do not underestimate the impact upon health in the US, even with reductions in the number of serious cases.

As more and more people consider it to be cold like, fewer will bother with the vaccines and boosters.  One additional concern is that numbers of serious cases may start climbing again as protections wane over time since ones last vaccination.

Health statistics will be interesting for the future in looking at the overall impact of covid. 

All understood, trust me, I read - a LOT.  But we cannot continue like this any longer.  The economic impact is crippling the world.  The mental health effects have been DEVASTATING.  By and large, the world has moved on. The virus today is not the virus of two years ago.  Mutations have made it much weaker, herd immunity is probably already here.   Self responsibility is huge, people must take responsibility to take care of themselves - wear a mask if you feel you should, if you are immunocompromised, then take appropriate precautions.   It is time to take responsibility for yourselves - vaccinate, boost, and keep up vaccinations and boosters as the virus evolves over the years.  AND LET LIFE CONTINUE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

But I'm sure every possible conspiracy theory to defraud, cheat, or otherwise make their customers as inconvenienced and miserable as possible has been identified by posters here.

... or you could just possibly entertain the thought that it makes good business sense for Celebrity to do what they are currently doing, and very little sense from their perspective to do something that they are not required to do, but if done would potentially increase their operating costs...

It is hardly a 'conspiracy theory' when they are behaving in a manner clearly designed to have the tests done after leaving the ship.

Equally I wouldn't describe it as an attempt to defraud or cheat their customers, or an attempt to make them miserable, that is over-egging it a bit too far...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

My husband did an EMed test mid-day on APEX last week. The only problem he had was when trying to log into EMed it didn't recognize his log-in and he had to create a new one. We talked to others who experienced the same thing. No problem staying connected and we did in on a cell phone. The ship was on it's way back to Amsterdam and it was a sea day.

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
55 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

All understood, trust me, I read - a LOT.  But we cannot continue like this any longer.  The economic impact is crippling the world.  The mental health effects have been DEVASTATING.  By and large, the world has moved on. The virus today is not the virus of two years ago.  Mutations have made it much weaker, herd immunity is probably already here.   Self responsibility is huge, people must take responsibility to take care of themselves - wear a mask if you feel you should, if you are immunocompromised, then take appropriate precautions.   It is time to take responsibility for yourselves - vaccinate, boost, and keep up vaccinations and boosters as the virus evolves over the years.  AND LET LIFE CONTINUE.

Life can continue just fine, with people taking precautions.  I am vaccinated and boosted, I also mask when in crowded areas.  That has not stopped be from spending 36 days on cruises so far this year, Taken land trips to 4 countries outside of the US, as well as visited 6 different states inside of the US.

There is really not an economic impact in people taking reasonable precautions.  Travel is booming.  air lines are crowded.  International resorts are doing well.

This is not the time of shutdowns when the virus was new.  However, that also does not mean that one should ignore it and not take precautions.

Actually if you look around the world, restrictions in many countries are tighter than the US, where pretty much the only remaining is testing before flying to the country.  

While the strains are less virulent in terms of serious illness, they are now more infectious.  Even with vaccines and the number that have had the illness the mortality rate is still 3 times the flu.  The impact as far as on future health events due to infection (even with the recent strains) are now starting to show up in the data.  So while the symptoms of active illness might be similar to a cold, it is an illness that does have impacts on the bodies systems and does increase ones risk for future negative health impacts such as cardia events, strokes, etc.  The end impact on health care costs are going to be fairly substantial.  Probably more so than the impacts that exist today with fairly minimal restrictions.

23 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Like many other people, I have both seasonal and year round allergies. Anyone who is wearing scented products shouldn’t be surprised if some - including me - begin sneezing. Also, those who have COPD may need to cough frequently. Please don’t make assumptions about everyone who coughs or sneezes (into their arms or tissues, I hope). 

You raise a valid point.  Not all who are coughing or sneezing are contagious with Covid.  That said, unfortunately one can never tell which is which.  But based on some of the comments on these boards, as well as posts on other social media, there are way, way too many people who plan to not report, as well as people who plan to get on an airplane anyway even if positive (in some cases, flying into Canada, driving across the border, and then flying home).  And then there are the blatant I-don't-give-a-hoot-about-others folks.  I was sitting next to a couple on my last cruise at the table next to me.  One was sniffling, with a red nose and her partner asked her if she was feeling better.  Cold?  Allergies?  It implied the former.  The one sitting across from her kept blowing her nose and mentioned a couple of times that she thought she was coming down with a cold.  I couldn't believe the ignorance and selfishness of that group!  I actually mentioned it to the maitre d afterwards and told him I didn't want to sit next to them and for the sake of the wellness of his staff and other passengers he might want to place them at a corner table.  He did that once, and then the next morning they were sitting in the middle of the restaurant.  Frustrating.

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

In theory it moves from top to bottom but people are moving , talking etc , so the flow is going all over the place 

I will always wear a mask when flying 

Actually there are many studies done on aircraft air flow, including particulate movement studies.

As I mentioned the periods of major risk are when boarding or leaving the aircraft.  Most of the time the amount of movement around the plane is relatively low.  Unless of course you are seated back near the restrooms.

The window seats are safer than aisle seats due to some occasional traffic in the aisles.  By the same token in a wide body seats on the sides are safer than the middle section.

Also keep in mind that the maximum number of people that one can come in close contact with is limited to the number of passengers and crew.  Depending upon the incidence rate the question becomes how likely that even one infected person in among the couple of hundred of people on the plane.  Compared to the numbers of different people one comes in close proximity while walking through the air port, or for that matter spending days on a cruise ship.

That said I also mask most of the time on an air craft, less when flying business internationally where density is pretty low.

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

How about 2-3 hours on a domestic flight? Is that any safer? Where do you draw the line?

Testing one day before for an international flight into the US will decrease the chance a Covid positive passenger is sitting next to me! 

Edited by mauimary
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mauimary said:

Testing one day before for an international flight into the US will decrease the chance a Covid positive passenger is sitting next to me! 

Hmmm 🤔 … potentially unless the the person who has contracted Covid is negative on the day before testing but can still infect you. Each passing week provides more proof that testing on the new variants provides minimal lead time for prevention of spreading the virus unless it is performed the same day of travel. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mauimary said:

Maybe. A friend of mine just flew home from a TA: tested negative at the airport and positive when she got home (like hours later).

2 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Maybe. A friend of mine just flew home from a TA: tested negative at the airport and positive when she got home (like hours later).

Exactly what they are finding in many cases. 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

The only purpose why this isn't being offered anymore is because Celebrity (and other lines who follow the same MO) don't want to be responsible for positive cases anymore. Be it for accommodation, transportation or even a simple case count.

You don't know...you have no way of knowing. You are theorizing. Also,prior, ships only had a passenger load that was a fraction of capacity. Now that is not the case at all. There is a huge difference between accommodating a hundred and 1k

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ldtr said:

Life can continue just fine, with people taking precautions.  I am vaccinated and boosted, I also mask when in crowded areas.  That has not stopped be from spending 36 days on cruises so far this year, Taken land trips to 4 countries outside of the US, as well as visited 6 different states inside of the US.

There is really not an economic impact in people taking reasonable precautions.  Travel is booming.  air lines are crowded.  International resorts are doing well.

This is not the time of shutdowns when the virus was new.  However, that also does not mean that one should ignore it and not take precautions.

Actually if you look around the world, restrictions in many countries are tighter than the US, where pretty much the only remaining is testing before flying to the country.  

While the strains are less virulent in terms of serious illness, they are now more infectious.  Even with vaccines and the number that have had the illness the mortality rate is still 3 times the flu.  The impact as far as on future health events due to infection (even with the recent strains) are now starting to show up in the data.  So while the symptoms of active illness might be similar to a cold, it is an illness that does have impacts on the bodies systems and does increase ones risk for future negative health impacts such as cardia events, strokes, etc.  The end impact on health care costs are going to be fairly substantial.  Probably more so than the impacts that exist today with fairly minimal restrictions.

Be careful discussing death rates.  Overall since 2020 is one figure but not relevant now.  But looking at just 2022 with Omicron-only vs. Influenza is quite different.  And of course hard to tease out the data on people with Covid vaccines, number of boosters, and also people with Influenza vaccines (or not).  And underlying medical conditions. But agree we can all be careful, courteous and cautious, and live with the virus going forward.  No other choice!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

NOT TRUE!

We tested last week on the Apex using the streaming wi-fi onboard. We also tested around noon, so much earlier than what others have posted. No difference in connection or reception on board than in our hotel room prior to departure. Between the 2 tests, we were continuously online for almost an hour.

How it would be if everyone on a European cruise who needed a test decided to test at the same time - I don't know. What affect the location of the ship would have - I don't know. On our cruise, the reception and connection was actually worse in port than at sea. But to blanket say the streaming is not good enough to work is simply wrong at this time and will lead people to make other, possibly less workable choices. We had a back-up plan for poor wi-fi as well as for some other flub with the kit itself, but onboard testing day before arrival worked very well for us.

• Like 2

On board the Reflection right now RT Rome. They just changed their Covid testing rules today to allow passengers that are flying home within 1 day of disembarking to test onboard ($65 each). Testing will be late afternoon/evening on day prior to returning to Rome. Also given option of buying emed testing to be handed out at port or making a reservation at FCO for testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, sherylc said:

On board the Reflection right now RT Rome. They just changed their Covid testing rules today to allow passengers that are flying home within 1 day of disembarking to test onboard ($65 each). Testing will be late afternoon/evening on day prior to returning to Rome. Also given option of buying emed testing to be handed out at port or making a reservation at FCO for testing. 

That's very good news... perhaps an acknowledgement that the cost of having to house positive pax was worth avoiding the negative PR being caused by offloading positive patients in Italy with their tough protocols there.

32 minutes ago, sherylc said:

I wonder if that will be fleet wide…we are scheduled to sail on the Edge in September RT Rome and have been debating how to get our tests done.