Covid testing at Pier

NW Pacific

For anyone that actually arrived at any US port without a negative test, did NCL provide testing at the Pier, obviously for a price??  Chatline and our assigned personal cruise consultant says yes they do.  I know all about the proctored test online, but just asking if in fact anyone got their test done prior to boarding from their embarkation Port.

@NW Pacific I cannot give a broad answer about "any US port" and NCL providing testing at the Pier.  But, I can vouch for NYC - Euro Fin partnering with NCL to do testing at the cruise terminal (MCT) for a fee - they're setup near the entrance.  

There was (is) apparently a need for it and folks willing to pay for the service, at whatever established rates (I believe the specific charge vary depending on the where & what, etc.)  They looked pretty busy, don't they 😷

PXL_20220327_140057832.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

There was testing in Boston, but I'm not sure if that was open for everyone or just the unvaccinated minors that required the test.

Boston had testing.

Our friend did not receive her results in time so paid $75 for a quick antigen test.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:27 PM, NW Pacific said:

For anyone that actually arrived at any US port without a negative test, did NCL provide testing at the Pier, obviously for a price??  Chatline and our assigned personal cruise consultant says yes they do.  I know all about the proctored test online, but just asking if in fact anyone got their test done prior to boarding from their embarkation Port.

I found this for $15 (BYO test)  Certified Teleservice COVID Testing - OnPoint Testing.  I haven't found anything cheaper.  Certainly, Eurofins would cost more though I'm not sure of that cost.

As an aside, now that you can test beforehand, I'd never show up at the pier -- or even get on a flight to the port -- without results in hand.  When I last cruised in December the pier tests were mandatory and it was a stressful 15 minutes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phillygwm said:

As an aside, now that you can test beforehand, I'd never show up at the pier -- or even get on a flight to the port -- without results in hand.  When I last cruised in December the pier tests were mandatory and it was a stressful 15 minutes.

To put this in more perspective, we flew to San Juan for a 12-26 cruise and we dropped our bags off and THEN got bused to a hotel that was doing the testing and THEN waited 15/20 minutes with the other cruisers for resultd and during that time we watched folks in white protective gear pull people out the room to "retest" due to positive/Inconclusive tests.  All that travel to get there and you can't even rent a car and drive home because you flew to this island. Mandatory 10 day quarantine at that same hotel.

We did test on a rapid at home test prior to leaving but man the peace of mind to be able to know 2 days in advance if you are gonna be able to board is just such a big relief and saves a bunch of travel if u do test positive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We use the eMed home tests. Our insurance reimbursed us 100% of the costs. 

You have better insurance than I do!  Mine explicitly excludes all Binax telehealth proctored tests. 😞  Between the tests sent by the gummint and ones I ordered which are covered by insurance, I have about 20 unused tests from various manufacturers.  I prefer the iHealth, possibly because I'm just used to using that one. 

Oh well, the $15 will be a rounding error in my vacation budget.  🙂