The Daily for Saturday 05/28/2022

richwmn

Today is Amnesty International Day, International Jazz Day, and National Hamburger Day

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.--Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Francese
Drink of the Day - Bakers Midnight Manhattan
Wine of the Day - DeLille 2019 Chaleur Blanc 25th Vintage White (Col
Destination of the Day - Kanazawa, Japan

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 05/29
Noordam   Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05/29
Rotterdam   Destination Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland

Boston, Massachusetts

Zaandam   07:00 - 17:00

Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy

Oosterdam   08:00 - 20:00

Marseille, France Riviera

Nieuw Statendam   11:00 - 19:00

Seattle, Washington

Eurodam   07:00 - 16:00

Skagway, Alaska

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 21:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Portland, OR

Westerdam  

0528World.thumb.png.fada0937bc787b59afeda74188b1868d.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 12

Thank ALL of you so much for brightening my days.

I don't post much.  But I read most of each thread every day.  I appreciate each and every one of you for the time you take to post.

Charles

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We must support human rights around the world.  Hubby enjoys jazz more than I do.  I like hamburgers and cheeseburgers, maybe that will be dinner tonight.

The meal suggestion sounds good, but I think I will save that recipe, when posted, for another night.

I'm sure I'll like the drink, hope the wine is good too.

It's warming up around here, finally.  I hope to get some laundry out on the line and save the dryer today.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Amnesty International does great work and amnesty sounds like a great concept after yesterday's Daily.  I love jazz and appreciate a good hamburger, especially the ones on the Pinnacle Grill Lunch menu. I have not been to Kanazawa.  Running late and I'll have my alternative menu suggestion later.

Today’s care list:

Healing for the Dailyite family
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Wildfire near durango scots
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems ad problematic bone scan
From the rotation:
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu

Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17
St. Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome back erewhon, Judypops, Copper10-8 and others
Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway for Rowsby
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
cunnorl weekend wedding trip to Naples(FL)
lindaler move nearing completion
USNA Graduating class
JAM37 help with my IPAD
Bon Voyage Dismomx5 and lazey1 (Koningsdam 5/28 to 6/4)
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31), Atexsix (Discovery Princess to 5/29), kochleffel (NCL Jade to 5/29) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 38
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon from a sunny 55°F North East coast of England.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for your dedication in giving us the opportunity to post on a new Daily every day.

Thank you Roy @rafinmd for supplying important lists every day.

Amnesty international and human rights are very important for all of us.

I Love music but jazz is probably my least favourite music.

Hamburgers are good if you want a quick meal from a fast food takeaway.

The quote can be true but people who know me know I always try to do and say the right thing and never try to kid anyone.

As always I look forward to seeing photos of any port especially one's I have never been too.

My prayers for everyone who is unfortunate to be unwell.

Nice to see so many people on or due to get on cruises.

I Hope everyone can find peace and enjoy life even when things are down.

Very best wishes everyone.

Sincerely Graham.

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich! It is a lovely morning here after an afternoon & night of storms.  A busy day today. Yard work, the new Top Gun movie and then the celebration dinner for my 14 year old grand nephew’s graduation the other day!

@richwmn. Rich, I read your message about the Daily. I can never thank you enough for morphing the Fleet report into this wonderful gathering place. But I also know how guilty I felt when I was up in New England after my cousin passed, and I was not posting the wine info. I consider it an obligation, now. I still enjoy doing it, but the nuance is different. If you eliminate all info but the fleet reports next year, I would not mind. 

But, I also would continue to post and share my life. I might share a wine discovery or a great recipe. Or a meme or picture. I would continue to pray and cheer.  I love seeing all the posts. After dealing with a gazillion work emails a day, this is fun. And again, I really appreciate this gift you gave us. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites. Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

DeLille 2019 Chaleur Blanc 25th Vintage 

This white blend sounds amazing. I seem to be gravitating towards red & white blends lately, and white blends are a bit rarer. Excellent - superb ratings and a reasonable price. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $26.95.

Winemaker Notes

This energetic, canary yellow wine presents a complex nose with aromas of grapefruit, golden hay, lemon zest, petrichor, and pastry dough. The 2019 Chaleur Blanc offers fresh fruit flavors of apricot and white peach on the palate, deliciously balanced with savory herb notes of basil and tarragon. This vintage is well proportioned throughout, with integrated barrel notes and the cuvee's traditional crisp acidity.

Blend: 69% Sauvignon Blanc, 31% Semillon

Critical Acclaim

JD94
Jeb Dunnuck

One of the best Bordeaux Blanc blends coming out of Washington, the 2019 Chaleur Blanc checks in as 69% Sauvignon Blanc and 31% Semillon that was barrel fermented and aged in 60% new oak. Honeyed grapefruit, white flowers, sappy, green herbs, and a kiss of minerality all define the bouquet, and this beauty is medium-bodied, with a beautifully balanced, concentrated mouthfeel and a great finish. It ranks with the top examples of this cuvée I've tasted.

JS93
James Suckling

Dried apple, pear skin, herbs, lemon and cedar on the nose. It’s medium-to full-bodied with bright acidity and tight, textured layers. Concentrated and focused with a long, toasty and balanced finish. 69% sauvignon blanc and 31% semillon. Drink or hold.

RP92
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Chaleur Blanc celebrates its 25th year with a blend of 69% Sauvignon Blanc and 31% Sémillon. Opening with a beautifully floral nose lifted by the elegance of French oak, the wine has aromas of crushed citrus blossom with subtle notes of cheese rind, juicy yellow apples and Key lime pie nuances that capture your attention. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is broad, waxy and textured, ending with energetic acidity on the long, pleasing finish. The wine was 90% barrel fermented in French oak, 60% first fill.

WW92
Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
COMMENTARY: The 2019 DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc is a classic blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon. TASTING NOTES: This wine pleasingly combines aromas and flavors of dried herbs, citrus peel, and stone fruits. Pair it with a plate of grilled prawns and mussels. 
WE92
Wine Enthusiast

With 69% Sauvignon Blanc and 31% Sémillon, this wine is still in its shell at present. It offers aromas of toast, nut oil, tropical fruit and lemon zest that need time to get going. The palate is all about sophistication, showing a pleasing sense of depth and polish, along with vibrant acidity. It has all the stuffing to excel in the cellar. Best from 2024–2029, with plenty of life beyond that.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone.  Thank you for the report, recipes and lists.  I’m getting my second Covid booster this morning, hopefully I don’t have to same reaction that DH is currently having from getting his yesterday.  We shall see.  Human rights are precious and deserve to be recognized.  Jazz and hamburgers are a winning combination in my book.  I don’t pretend to be anything other than what I am, it make for sound sleep!  The meal sounds delicious as does the wine.  I’ll wait and see on the drink.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today!  With all of the colleges and universities graduating here now there are many joyful faces out and about, it’s a great time to be in Boston!

• Like 28

Good morning.

Thank you to Rich and Roy for the lists.

I hope everyone is doing well today.  

I like the collection of days. Amnesty international is a great organization.  I like jazz and have been know to consume a hamburger now and then.

i especially like the meal.  Chicken Francese is a favorite and i like to make it.  I will be interested in seeing the recipes that @dfish Debbie comes up with.  It may give a new flair to a tried and true receipt that I have.

This is the second day in a row that I am feeling good.  I am almost afraid to say it for fear I will be jinxed. I am moving around with no pain.   It makes no sense, but I’ll take it.

As for yesterday,  I hope everyone is in a better place today.   As for me, I am happy to read all the posts.  Some days i don’t get to all of them, but that’s my fault.

I really don’t care how many photos people post, I love seeing them.

I also don’t care how many times people post, if that is what makes them happy.

As i said yesterday, this is my happy place.  My soft place to fall and I know you will all be there to pick me up when I do.

Have a great day everyone.  Happy Memorial Day Weekend and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to keep our land free.

God Bless every one of you.

Terri

• Like 41

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to @dfish recipes and pictures.  It’s a wet morning here today with more rain in the forecast.  Tomorrow should be better and hopefully I’ll get in some much needed yard work done.

I finished reading yesterday’s daily.  I appreciate this daily thread and while I don’t post every day I do read it daily.  The past two plus years have been difficult for many of us and this thread has been a lifeline to people outside of our homes.  When locked down this was a better view of life than the news reports.  I appreciate the virtual family that this has become and I’d like to meet many of you on a BHB.  Just like a family we don’t always agree on everything and that’s ok.  I do appreciate different points of view.  I enjoy everyone’s pet pictures and memes.

Even when I haven’t left the house to go to work my pets have been a great comfort and helped me on those dark days.

image.thumb.png.a675f83fb3b73004431c924e468c2070.png

• Like 37

Good morning, everyone!

Gray skies this morning are supposed to give away to sunshine this afternoon. I'm starting slow today because my back is in revolt.  Either the pool or the passage of a weather front will  help it, I'm sure.  

Today's meal looks and sounds wonderful.   I think it is the lemon that makes it sound good to me.  The first recipe comes from Tyler Florence at the Food Network.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-francese-recipe-1951951

875362936_chickenfrancese1.jpeg.3788da1942be5d75a5daf0319cc33136.jpeg

Francese is a preparation (much like Milanese) that can be used with all types of meat and seafood from shrimp to veal. For chicken it involves dredging cutlets in flour and beaten egg, creating a pseudo batter. The cutlets are then pan-fried and made crispy, albeit temporarily. See chicken Francese is one of those dishes that epitomizes "crispy gone soggy" - a texture sensation that is one of my absolute favorites. In this case, the chicken becomes "soggy" because you finish them by simmering in a rich, lemony sauce that will knock your socks off.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a37094087/chicken-francese-recipe/

1293703688_chickenfrancese2.thumb.jpg.f77f82d073f7e63919cdf6c3f9bfc7bd.jpg

This next one is very similar but comes with suggestions for variations in seasonings.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/chicken-francese/

1990724112_chickenfrancese3.thumb.jpg.ea577eba66197c4e7b95b05c6fc1beef.jpg

This next recipe creates a lemon cream sauce for the chicken.  Looks really good to me.  https://simply-delicious-food.com/creamy-chicken-francese/

501149293_chickenfrancese5.thumb.jpg.db3b92edee33e962049c41adb41f5e63.jpg

I hope that hits the spot for everyone.  If I could eat rich foods I would make it for lunch.  But, I'll have to save it for the future.  

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who face struggles and challenges.   Cheers to all who are celebrating.  May today bring calm and peace to all of us.  

• Like 31
  • Thanks 13

Bakers Midnight Manhattan:

Ingredients
2 parts Baker's® Bourbon
1 part Averna® Amaro
1 dash Angostura® Bitters
1 dash Orange Bitters
Garnish: Amarena Cherry

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in mixing glass with ice. Stir until well chilled. Strain into a chilled coupe glass and garnish with an Amarena cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 8.00.43 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Thank you @dfish Debbie for those recipes.  I do it a bit differently but will try one of those versions.  Not today, but maybe tomorrow.  Luckily, I have a wonderful butcher that pounds the chicken breasts into cutlets for me.  So they are all ready to go.

Hope your back gets better once you get in the pool.

Terri

• Like 26

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Human rights are very important. I like Jazz and hamburgers.

I like the quote, although, IMO it is best to just be yourself. The meal sounds great.

It saddened me as I read the second half of yesterday's Daily. I really still don't understand what it was all about. I did not "join" this family until August 2021. My husband was extremely I'll with Covid to the point he was sure he was going to die, I was feeding him a half cup of jello twice a day just to get some sort of sustenance in him. Some of you may remember he was sick for seven weeks. From the very beginning I felt welcomed and realized I had somehow come across a group of loving, caring people. As many have said before and again yesterday...this is my happy place, a safe place. I would hate to see it disappear. That being said, @richwmn I am willing to help out if/when needed. I understand what @cat shepard is saying and maybe others would be willing to take over the everyday posts if the ones who have been doing it for over two years want a break. Maybe there could be a three or six month rotation. Just suggestions.... Words cannot express how much I appreciate the dedication of @richwmn, @rafinmd, @cat shepard, @summer slope and @dfish.

I will be forever grateful for the Daily family, their prayers, cheers and shares. Prayers we get past yesterday's issues and continue sharing and caring here for a long time. 

I agree with what several of you posted late yesterday, but I think @marshhawk and @Cruzin Terri really nailed down how I feel. 

Sorry for the long post...I will get off my soap box now.

Wishing each of you a blessed Saturday. May we each find some joy in our lives today

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning  everyone. It is going to be a rainy day so I think we will celebrate Hamburger  Day tomorrow.I will certainly salute Amnesty  International and Jazz.

I made the Czech burgers last night,  @marshhawk  and they were well worth the effort.The recipe for today sounds like a great idea. 

We have not been to the port. I always love to see pictures and look forward  to it.

• Like 27

Good morning everyone. Yesterday I resolved my email issues but not sure I  wasn’t, scammed. I followed all google instructions and used a second method of verification to retrieve my account and entered the code I was given. I was told my account would be restored in 48 hours. Well, 5=days went by and there is no phone number for Google. When I found a number it was for a web based company that took control of my computer and said I was hacked by someone from Canada. They spent two hours and restored my account on my phone, desktop and iPad. It cost me about $169 and everything is back. I changed my bank password and a few others and am praying the company was legit.

Our outdoor pool is supposed to open today but if it rains that won’t happen.

Stay safe everyone and prayers for all on our list,

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you @dfish Debbie for those recipes.  I do it a bit differently but will try one of those versions.  Not today, but maybe tomorrow.  Luckily, I have a wonderful butcher that pounds the chicken breasts into cutlets for me.  So they are all ready to go.

Hope your back gets better once you get in the pool.

Terri

I'd be interested in what you do differently.  One thing I've learned about cooking is that there is no one way to do it.  I often look over several recipes and combine them.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Going to be another beautiful day here in Paradise. It will also be the start of hoards of tourist arriving which does put restrictions of where we go. Where it would take ten minutes to drive a distance in off season could take 30-40 minutes and more. It’s great for our economy and besides tourist many folks are moving here permanently. A multitude of military bases and post keeps the economy vibrant year round.

Last night we enjoyed cedar plank salmon on the grill which is always a treat. Debbie,  I have to say your dish of the day looks wonderful but we rarely have anything close to fried or pan fried. That could be an exception! Thanks for your loyal postings.

Thanks Rich for your Daily Fleet post. Roy for your contributions and to all who make the Daily a enjoyable part of our lives. I hope we can keep it that way. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1