Crown, June 11th

GloriaF

51 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

Port Valet was a confused mess onboard. When we didn’t receive the form to fill out in our cabin, we went to Guest Services. They said Princess was not taking part. I filled out the PV form online and took it back to GS. Another person told us they would email our airline (Delta) to be sure they were participating and they would leave a voicemail for us. No messages so we checked again to no avail, so we booked Seattle Express ($42 for pier pickup for 2), then on Friday we received Port Valet tags and disembarkation instructions.  So, we used Port Valet but rode Seattle Express to the airport. We had EZAir reservations. Today when we arrived from Seattle toNYC (JFK) our final flight is canceled. We’re waiting around to see if we can get on later today as stand by, and if not we will get hotel voucher for tonight. Trying to stay positive, but not a good ending!

I hate 'liking' this because there's not much to like other than your attitude!  I hope things turn around for y'all quickly.

1 hour ago, GloriaF said:

It is stressful. Going on 36 hours in the same clothes!  DH sees problems, and I’ve always tried to look on the brighter side. It’s not fun but we will survive. I immediately thought of you when this happened bc I know you’ve been through it. Being Sunday and arriving at 5:30 AM, calling Princess or TA was not an option so went straight to Delta’s “help” desk. 

I meant to finish "you are better in Delta's hands than going through Princess". I completely agree. At least it is going home and not going to the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Glacier Bay was the full time 6 am - 3 pm. We saw GB in 2005, and the regression of the glaciers in the past 17 years was sad. Margerie glaciers is half what I remember from 2005. 

I remember the 2nd time I saw GB was maybe like 3 years after the first time and I noticed the same thing. Looked totally different. I actually thought Hubbard looked better.

$200 obc doesn't seem bad but if you bought already a package, aren't you limited to just overpriced crap in the gift shops, and spa/restaurants that probably now everyone is going to go to and excursions that are either sold out or already booked? They should have made it refundable or just give gift cards imo. 

Edited by The Collie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ktcishot said:

Curious about the weather. Is it worth it to pack any tshirts/shorts? Or is it really not warm enough for that?

Depends on when you sailing is. Just look at the weather a day before you get to Seattle. If you’re going next sat, it looks like alaska will be in the 70s. That’s shorts weather.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:13 PM, The Collie said:

I remember the 2nd time I saw GB was maybe like 3 years after the first time and I noticed the same thing. Looked totally different. I actually thought Hubbard looked better.

$200 obc doesn't seem bad but if you bought already a package, aren't you limited to just overpriced crap in the gift shops, and spa/restaurants that probably now everyone is going to go to and excursions that are either sold out or already booked? They should have made it refundable or just give gift cards imo. 

We did not buy the Plus or Premium, packages.  We don't drink much alcohol or specialty coffee, and it didn't make financial sense.  Wifi was $45 (50% off for elite) for the week.  $200 OBC just about covers gratuities for the week, so didn't matter that it was non-refundable. ($203 for balcony cabin).  We had $750 total OBC, and thought we would be buying perfume or jewelry for Christmas gifts, but we checked at Guest Services and learned they use the non-refundable credits first.  At that time we had about $400 refundable credit, but paid for another shorex and baggage fees to Delta through Port Valet.  Expecting about $200 check for refundable OBC - but not holding our breath about when it will come.  GS said 2-3 weeks, but I'll be surprised if it isn't 10-12 weeks instead.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, ktcishot said:

Curious about the weather. Is it worth it to pack any tshirts/shorts? Or is it really not warm enough for that?

Our week, June 11-18, was wet, cold and extremely windy.  Weather is changeable and where you're from/what kind of weather you're used to makes a big difference.  It was 90 and humid when we boarded our flight in Jacksonville, FL.  I was bundled up the entire cruise!  

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, ImperialLady said:

I hate 'liking' this because there's not much to like other than your attitude!  I hope things turn around for y'all quickly.

Our saga for getting home after the cruise just kept getting worse!  We spent a full day at Sea-Tac waiting for 9:35 Flight to JFK.  We had planned on sightseeing in Seattle, but it was cold and rainy and we decided to forego our plans.  As I mentioned earlier, we arrived in JFK at 5:30 AM Sun, but the Sun flight to JAX was cancelled/we were on standby for 4:15pm flight that was already overbooked.  We spent the better part of Sun At JFK and when Delta finally offered us a hotel about 4 PM (we chose Hyatt Regency), we jumped at it.  Delta provided Lyft vouchers to/from the hotel, which we used but that is another entirely different story - more later on Lyft.  Monday's flight to JAX was cancelled, too, and we ended up going to Reagan in Washington DC on Delta, and had a confirmed American Airlines flight at 8:03 PM for JAX.  Luckily, we got onboard AA as standbys on a much earlier flight, and were home by 2:30 PM.  

Now about Lyft:  First I should say we don't use taxis except when traveling and Uber/Lyft never, we live in a suburban setting and drive ourselves anywhere we need to go, and I have been leary of Uber & Lyft from the beginning.  My two recent experiences just strengthened this belief.  Our driver to the hotel took us into some scary neighborhoods and then announced we were at our destination, which was nowhere in sight.  I said I wasn't getting out of the car and this started an argument with the 20 yr old driver.  He said I was disrespecting him and parked his car at the curb -- finally my husband was able to soothe his feelings and we cajoled him block by block to the hotel by looking at street numbers!  I learned at the hotel another guest had a similar experience. Then today going to the airport, the driver didn't show up and we asked hotel reception for help.  Finally he came but only if we would give him an additional $20, which we did - we were desperate to check in for our flight  that we didn't know was cancelled, and TSA at JFK is a zoo in itself.  What a day!!  We had nice long naps when we got home and hopefully tomorrow will be a normal day!!

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 2

One more thing ~ I believe life is an adventure, some good, some bad, but all colored by your attitude and reactions, and all having some good to be gleaned from every experience.  I try to always look at everything in a positive light.   I find this quote from the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to be a good way to cope with the trials and tribulations of life in general:

"It will all be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it is not the end."  (hope I didn't misquote this) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

One more thing ~ I believe life is an adventure, some good, some bad, but all colored by your attitude and reactions, and all having some good to be gleaned from every experience.  I try to always look at everything in a positive light.   I find this quote from the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to be a good way to cope with the trials and tribulations of life in general:

"It will all be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it is not the end."  (hope I didn't misquote this) 

I was unable to edit.  The proper quote from Sonny in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel:

"Everything will be all right in the end ... if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end." 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, JeffT237 said:

Yes I was on the May 7th and yes I would agree we got the worst of the Crown cruises so far.  Multiple last minute itinerary changes, late ports, plumbing issues, 2200 passengers, lack of staff, closed restaurants that they advertise and equipment out of service on a ship that was idle for 2 years. I am aware that your cruise got more compensation than us, and I'm glad cruisers got more as IMO this was avoidable.  I'm also aware that some other sailings got less or nothing at all.  The amount of compensation we received is what I want to discuss with someone from Princess's management.  I've sent many emails and placed several calls and have given multiple timelines from CS that someone from the management side would reach out to me, they have all come and gone. It appears what Princess is doing by announcing changes last minute is a benefit to the company at the expense of the paying customers.  And I am quite aware of the contract that I signed, I think it's awful that Princess wants to hide behind the contract for issues that were known.  This has the appearance of a bait and switch situation.  

At this point in addition to my numerous attempts to contact Princess (as of now I've only asked for a return call to discuss my experience and ask for more FCC) I have filed a complaint with the BBB, and my next step is to file a complaint with the Federal Maritime Commission.  Beyond that I've thought about contacting a local consumer reporter for assistance.  I only took these recent actions because I do feel Princess is ignoring my complaints. Yes I am aware that I am opening myself up to criticism especially from the Princess loyalists, but what would you suggest? Again I've only asked for a return call to this date which I've been told is coming from Princess.

FMC:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1727

Reviews of the Crown, plenty of cruisers were unhappy:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/princess-crown-princess-alaska-cruises_cl28-sh347-de115/mra/

Thank you all for sharing.  It is awful that you have had to go through this, but because of reviews such as this, we just cancelled our Sep California Coast Line cruise as they have no intentions apparently of repairing the ship until they put it in dry dock on October 2nd!!!!

I do feel bad for the company, 2 years no business and then this - BUT - it doesn't excuse them for sailing a ship that is not sea-worthy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kruzin2010 said:

Thank you all for sharing.  It is awful that you have had to go through this, but because of reviews such as this, we just cancelled our Sep California Coast Line cruise as they have no intentions apparently of repairing the ship until they put it in dry dock on October 2nd!!!!

I do feel bad for the company, 2 years no business and then this - BUT - it doesn't excuse them for sailing a ship that is not sea-worthy.

For what it's worth, when I attended the Captain's Most Traveled Luncheon, someone at our table asked Captain Ruggero about the propulsion problems.  Whether truth or Princess propaganda, the Captain said it was ongoing routine maintenance and should be finished by August.  Make of this what you will....

48 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

For what it's worth, when I attended the Captain's Most Traveled Luncheon, someone at our table asked Captain Ruggero about the propulsion problems.  Whether truth or Princess propaganda, the Captain said it was ongoing routine maintenance and should be finished by August.  Make of this what you will....

I vote for propaganda as one of the engine is ongoing maintenance but all of the letters they sent to the passengers talked about a second engine.  Plus, if it was ongoing maintenance, you wouldn't be running into constant schedule changes every week.  one week you have the ship getting to juneau at 4pm instead of 530pm.  another week it gets there at 530 while the passengers are told 4pm. or icy straits is on the schedule and last minute (every week??) it's dropped.  For the captain to say all of this is due ongoing maintenance?  i don't think so. ongoing maintenance should not cause this much headache.

17 minutes ago, wolvey said:

I vote for propaganda as one of the engine is ongoing maintenance but all of the letters they sent to the passengers talked about a second engine.  Plus, if it was ongoing maintenance, you wouldn't be running into constant schedule changes every week.  one week you have the ship getting to juneau at 4pm instead of 530pm.  another week it gets there at 530 while the passengers are told 4pm. or icy straits is on the schedule and last minute (every week??) it's dropped.  For the captain to say all of this is due ongoing maintenance?  i don't think so. ongoing maintenance should not cause this much headache.

ongoing maintenance is not routine maintenance...

j/s

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Our saga for getting home after the cruise just kept getting worse!  We spent a full day at Sea-Tac waiting for 9:35 Flight to JFK.  We had planned on sightseeing in Seattle, but it was cold and rainy and we decided to forego our plans.  As I mentioned earlier, we arrived in JFK at 5:30 AM Sun, but the Sun flight to JAX was cancelled/we were on standby for 4:15pm flight that was already overbooked.  We spent the better part of Sun At JFK and when Delta finally offered us a hotel about 4 PM (we chose Hyatt Regency), we jumped at it.  Delta provided Lyft vouchers to/from the hotel, which we used but that is another entirely different story - more later on Lyft.  Monday's flight to JAX was cancelled, too, and we ended up going to Reagan in Washington DC on Delta, and had a confirmed American Airlines flight at 8:03 PM for JAX.  Luckily, we got onboard AA as standbys on a much earlier flight, and were home by 2:30 PM.  

Now about Lyft:  First I should say we don't use taxis except when traveling and Uber/Lyft never, we live in a suburban setting and drive ourselves anywhere we need to go, and I have been leary of Uber & Lyft from the beginning.  My two recent experiences just strengthened this belief.  Our driver to the hotel took us into some scary neighborhoods and then announced we were at our destination, which was nowhere in sight.  I said I wasn't getting out of the car and this started an argument with the 20 yr old driver.  He said I was disrespecting him and parked his car at the curb -- finally my husband was able to soothe his feelings and we cajoled him block by block to the hotel by looking at street numbers!  I learned at the hotel another guest had a similar experience. Then today going to the airport, the driver didn't show up and we asked hotel reception for help.  Finally he came but only if we would give him an additional $20, which we did - we were desperate to check in for our flight  that we didn't know was cancelled, and TSA at JFK is a zoo in itself.  What a day!!  We had nice long naps when we got home and hopefully tomorrow will be a normal day!!

OMG!!  What a horror story for you.   I have never used Lyft or Uber and never will. I have heard too many stories likes yours. So glad you are home safe and sound.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GloriaF said:

And he probably told passengers in May it should be finished by July. Who knows? I don't believe him when they haven't been upfront and honest so far. Anyway, it didn't help my cruise.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Expecting about $200 check for refundable OBC - but not holding our breath about when it will come.  GS said 2-3 weeks, but I'll be surprised if it isn't 10-12 weeks instead.

I've been back for over 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for over $1,000 from cancelled shore excursions that should've been refunded to my credit card since they we're booked before the cruise and not onboard. Princess put them on my onboard account as credits, how shady.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

OMG!!  What a horror story for you.   I have never used Lyft or Uber and never will. I have heard too many stories likes yours. So glad you are home safe and sound.

There are many, many more people who use Lyft/Uber without issues than those who do.  I’ve always used Taxis when traveling - many trips per year for work.  Uber and Lyft have greatly simplifies travel for me for years now.

To the OP - sorry about all of the challenges on this trip, but glad you’ve maintained a sunny disposition about it.  A good attitude may not be able to salvage a bad trip, but a bad attitude can make any every trip worse.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kruzin2010 said:

I was on the ship in Jan 2020.  It had the same problems then.  They knew it then and didn’t fix it in at least 2.5 years.  Who knows when the problems started? It could have been 2 years before that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

I've been back for over 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for over $1,000 from cancelled shore excursions that should've been refunded to my credit card since they we're booked before the cruise and not onboard. Princess put them on my onboard account as credits, how shady.

I would expect 6-8 weeks. It will probably arrive as a check in a white envelope with the return sender being "Bottom Line, Princess Cruises". It often looks like junk mail.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 10:12 PM, GloriaF said:

Sorry to read about this experience. I assume you have complained to Lyft. Also, I assume you are sure this was a Lyft driver and you were monitoring through the Lyft app. I have had experiences in NYC where taxi drivers would say they were Uber drivers. We have been using Uber for years both in the US and Europe and have never had an issue. In fact, I can relate two positive experiences, both in Fort Lauderdale, where I never take taxis since being charged $10.00 for address lookup, because I couldn't tell him the address of the Embassy Suites.

1. After being dropped off at my hotel, I noticed I had left my wallet in the car. I contacted Uber who contacted the driver. He arranged to meet me at a restaurant across from the hotel and returned the wallet.

2. After being dropped off at the Enchanted Princess prior to a transatlantic cruise, I noticed I had left my iPhone in the car. I called it on my wife's iPhone and the Uber driver answered on the third attempt. He said he had a fare, but could be back in an hour. I called in an hour. He was at security and I had to ok it, since he didn't have a passenger. 

Uber has many safety features and I can't recommend them highly enough.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

I would expect 6-8 weeks. It will probably arrive as a check in a white envelope with the return sender being "Bottom Line, Princess Cruises". It often looks like junk mail.

I left the Enchanted Princess on May 4 and received my check yesterday (June 21}.

• Like 3

I'd still like to go back to Glacier Bay this summer. Last summer we had a week without sun on my Majestic cruise. It's still beautiful. According to Wikipedia, Margerie Glacier is stable--neither advancing nor retreating. Hubbard Glacier is still advancing. Lamplugh Glacier is retreating 50-100 feet per year according to the National Park Service. 

The place I noticed the most difference was Tracy Arm. It's retreated more than a mile. Does any Princess ship still go there? I see Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier listed for the Discovery's cruises this summer.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:44 AM, ktcishot said:

May28-June4 Northbound from Vancouver, I got more sun then I get at home. Had to buy sunscreen.