Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If only to break even why not just order a la carte and not have the pressure/need to get all those drinks each day?   

Most time when you order the package for something you get a discount? Discount is only if you sit and drink all day and night and get plastered each  and every night. Doesn't seem right to me, but some it does they just keep buying at these crazy high prices and that is why Royal keeps raising their prices.

This is either a genuine misinterpretation of my post or a strawman.

I was not claiming that people must struggle to break even.  I know people who can, without any difficulty or effort, drink like 10 drinks over the course of a day while on vacation.  The drink package is obviously a huge discount for them.  There is no "pressure."

What you are likely seeing is RCI recognizing that there is a significant number of people who are getting a bigger discount than RCI is comfortable with when the package is priced at, say, $50.  So RCI jacks up the price to one where it thinks it is profitable for RCI, i.e., where it thinks that people will probably not break even on average.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

I remember when the drink prices were MORE than reasonable.  Like around $2 for beer and $3.50 or so for mixed drinks.

Was this in the 80s?  Those prices seem crazy low.

5 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

You expect ridiculous prices when you're at, say, a ball game or some other "couple hour" event....but when you're a captive audience, it riles me a bit.

I mean, prices are high both at those events and on cruises because you are a captive audience.  

The market will dictate the pricing and from what I've seen on the ships, they're having no problem finding a market for the current prices. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try and bump them a little more to test the waters.  They can always have a "sale" if the higher price isn't working.  

1 minute ago, badvector said:

The market will dictate the pricing and from what I've seen on the ships, they're having no problem finding a market for the current prices. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try and bump them a little more to test the waters.  They can always have a "sale" if the higher price isn't working.  

For my August sailing, prices for the DBP have been bouncing (rather slowly) between $73 and $78.  Refreshment:  $23 and $30.

I am in agreement with the OP and others, when other lines can show you the pricing for drinks or packages with wifi and tips(which I will pay) it makes no sense with Royal,.

if this was a stand alone product with no competitors the price point makes sense, otherwise they have really done their homework to find a price that will still have general buy-in with maximum profit and minimal blowback.

I’m Loyal to Royal and thankfully not enough of a liquid guy besides water that I can live without it, but I guess I’m just embarrassed at this particular practice by my favourite cruise line

Edited by CanadaRob

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

You should try the new Virgin Cruise line.

Beers are $5 - $6, mix drinks are $9, Wine under &10...

What is the cruise price compared to Royal?

• Like 1

Prices have really sky rocketed in the past few months.  I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase the drink package for 55.99 for my upcoming  cruise.  With gratuity it is 66.07 per day.

If the price were higher I might not get it, but the flexibility and the all-inclusive feeling is a big plus.

With the current cost of drinks it would take 4 to 5 alcoholic drinks per day to break even at the price we got.    Adding in four to six bottled waters, Diet Coke, fresh juice, a beer here and there and specialty  coffees and the number for us goes down to three or four per day.  It could even be two and we could still break even.  

One  13.00 drink is 15.34 with gratuity.  

This would more than break even and does not include any cocktails.

Fresh orange juice or a mimosa at breakfast.  

Get a few bottles of water each after breakfast.

Specialty coffee mid morning or a smoothie in the Solarium

A glass of wine with lunch

Several sodas and more waters in the afternoon.  Maybe a beer or two. 

A couple of glasses of  wine at dinner.

We have taken on soda and water before and frankly it is a chore that I can do without.  I’m on vacation and want to relax.  Having the package helps me do that.  

• Like 3

I don’t really understand the consternation about the price. We all have a number that we’re fine with spending on drinks during a cruise. At the most basic level, if the DBP is above that number, don’t buy it, if it’s below, buy it.

It seems like the primary issue is that people are peeved that the cost of the package means they can’t get “more than their money’s worth” as they previously did. If that’s the case—then that pretty much answers why RC raised the prices. They aren’t pricing this to lose money. 

Just be a smart consumer—determine what you believe is what you will drink over the course of your cruise, price it out, add in what you believe the “convenience” is worth of having the package and then buy it—or don’t.

I bought it at the price where I knew I wasn’t going to be fleeced at the price, because I know our drinking habits. As long as we’re roughly in the ballpark, I’m fine with that because I price the “convenience” pretty high. 

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Don’t you hate it when some business doesn’t price their product the way you think it should be priced. 

Exactly, then don't buy it, make the calculations on your use and make a business decision. 

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Last cruise I figured out that hubby and I together drink about the cost of one single DBP, so I purchased enough OBC to cover the cost of one drink package.  We ended up using about $50 less of the OBC, so we spent it on lunch at Jamies on the last day.  Given the ridiculous increase in price for the DBP in the past six months, I probably wouldn't even put in for that much OBC, but it will be nice getting a refund for what we don't use.

This is brilliant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Discount is only if you sit and drink all day and night and get plastered each  and every night. 

No, not even close. The package is a great value if you take advantage of all it offers. 

2 specialty coffees      $10

2 fresh squeezed OJ   $10.

2 bottles of water        $8

2 sodas                          $6

2 beers by the pool      $13

pre dinner wine             $12

total                               $59

Not plastered, probably not even legally driunk. I can easily throw down 2 more waters and an energy drink before lunch making your comment completely false. The DBP is more than alcohol.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

We have taken on soda and water before and frankly it is a chore that I can do without.  I’m on vacation and want to relax.  Having the package helps me do that.  

YEAH!!! What he said!!! Don't have to be falling down drunk to use the DBP to save money.

• Like 3

Drink package is a choice.  It makes Royal money or they wouldn't offer it.  Eventually they will reach a point that most people won't buy it and that may lower prices, but we've never found it to be worth it.

• Like 1

Just now, VaTech8912 said:

Wish they would regularly have the 10 drink punch cards.  That was perfect in the past.

Those were usually offered the last few days of the cruise as an incentive to sell more alcohol.

8 minutes ago, BND said:

Drink package is a choice.  It makes Royal money or they wouldn't offer it.  Eventually they will reach a point that most people won't buy it and that may lower prices, but we've never found it to be worth it.

I know their bean counters are watching. We cruise tomorrow on Harmony and paid $71 for DBP and Internet for me and $17 for refresh package per day for my sife. We are diamond. My lovely wife might have 3 alcoholic drinks the whole 7 days. For her the DBp is never a good option. At $71 for DBP and Voom it was a good price. I actually considered cancelling but it would cost me more to drop DBP/internet and go with refresh/internet. 

I will have two juices at breakfast. I will have 2-3 specialty coffees (can get them in diamond lounge as well). I will have an energy drink or 2 every day. I will have 4 or more waters every day. I drink at least 96 ounces of water every day. I am almost break even before I have my first alcoholic drink. 

Our choice is easy at the price we paid thsi cruise. If Royal stops allowing just one of us to get the drink package or keeps this ridiculous rates this might be our last time buying DBP.

3 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Recently paid $22 a drink at a Garth Brooks concert.   It's when I decided I could afford a $72 drink package!!

Except drinks on RCI aren't $22 each.

1 hour ago, wayne_trisha said:

No, not even close. The package is a great value if you take advantage of all it offers. 

2 specialty coffees      $10

2 fresh squeezed OJ   $10.

2 bottles of water        $8

2 sodas                          $6

2 beers by the pool      $13

pre dinner wine             $12

total                               $59

Not plastered, probably not even legally driunk. I can easily throw down 2 more waters and an energy drink before lunch making your comment completely false. The DBP is more than alcohol.

Don't know how many DBP people get only 3 alcoholic drinks in  a day, also don't know how many people are getting 2 specialty coffees, and 2 fresh squeezed OJ and  then getting 2 bottles of water and on top of that 2 more soda's in a single day. I would be in the bathroom half the day drinking all this. lol

Heck lets make this example even better lets say everyone has 3 of each of all you listed above. Then is really sounds like a great deal but  49 out of 50 people  aren't buying the DBP to drink coffee, OJ and Water.

But face it, the DBP is over priced..........don't act like I'm the first to say this on cruise critic. Why do  some people on here continue to say Royal can do no wrong. Their price structure for the DBP is fine.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Recently paid $22 a drink at a Garth Brooks concert.   It's when I decided I could afford a $72 drink package!!

The $22 per drink is for one day, per drink. The $72 is per day times the number of days, say 7. 7 x $72 = $504. Must be the new math.

Or book a suite on the Allure and get drinks at no additional charge in the suite lounge from 11 - 11 . I booked the cruise last September at about half price.

Problem is i dont drink very much . Guess i will have a couple of beers and a glass of wine, and some bottled waters .