Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

55 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Who says CC isn't educational? I legit learned a new word today, so thank you. 

What is the best synonym for avaricious?

Some common synonyms of avaricious are acquisitive, covetous, grasping, and greedy. While all these words mean "having or showing a strong desire for especially material possessions," avaricious implies obsessive acquisitiveness especially of money and strongly suggests stinginess.

Guess Greedy about sums it up..............because that is what Royal is doing.
having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth or power
Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Booking It said:

We finally bit the bullet and paid $72/pp for my solo and cruise with the hubby. I watched every single day for it to at least go back to the $65/pp when we first booked, but no dice. It still works out well for us, as I drink at least 3 freshly squeezed orange juices each day, more Cokes than I care to admit, 7-8 bottled waters, speciality tea, and lots of cocktails. 

On our last cruise, his bar bill alone showed 133 drinks, sooo…. 🤣.

I think you are the rare example of someone really getting full value of the package and giving RC a run for their money. When most people figure out the numbers, they’re mostly adding up how many drinks they’ll consume knowing they have the DBP. They don’t use the quantities they’d be looking at if they did not have the package.

We’re sailing the 12 day  Anthem TA in October….no hot days by the pool, no cocoa cay, and while they are lots of sea days, I can’t see drinking extra to make a DBP worthwhile, especially since the last time I had DBP I ended up with wicked heartburn halfway through a 7 day on Oasis that lasted for days. No more drink marathons for me lol

Even the non-alcoholic drinks, I don’t need 2 glasses of fresh OJ, I never drink it at home, fresh or otherwise. I can get by through most of the day with tap water from WJ and water enhancers, wine with dinner, and occasionally Bailey’s after dinner if I’m not having dessert.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

That’s something to be proud about. What would it have been if he paid by the drink, still 133? I think not.

These are the people who start with the price and their objective is to beat it.  As opposed to "what should I spend to have an enjoyable cruise".

I can get obliterated in my back yard a lot cheaper; it's not my objective on a cruise.

My planned spending in March was 3 bar drinks per person per day @ $15 plus my soda package.  That was about $750 total for two people.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, mattnday said:

I knew it was expensive but the last time we did it for 7 night it cost like $850. 

This go round it it over $1200 for our 7 night Carribean trip on the Allure coming up in November. 

They have finally got me to the point where I just wont dot it. I was expecting $1000 but not $1200

The total BS part is this is the lower sales price of what I have seen as part of one of their sales.

The normal price was closer to $1400 through my portal. 

It's very hard to justify the costs of the drink package on most any lines these days. On the Carnival Mardi Gras in March it was only $55/pp per day for the 7 night cruise, but we passed on it and went ala carte. We saved about $500 vs. the 7 day drink package.

For our upcoming Symphony OTS sailing in December, the current price is hovering $75/pp per day. We'll be going ala carte again and will definitely save money again. I like my cocktails and specialty coffees, but those drink packages are crazy. We might do the refreshment package. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jackhall226 said:

Take $1200 cash and apply to ur account as needed.  At the end of ur cruise I bet you end up with cash left over…

I mean, this is basically asking people to just calculate how many drinks they would have otherwise.

For a couple, 7 drinks each a day at $13 with 18% gratuity would be around $1500, not including drinks on top of the 7, coffee, juice, etc.

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

But face it, the DBP is over priced..........don't act like I'm the first to say this on cruise critic. Why do  some people on here continue to say Royal can do no wrong. Their price structure for the DBP is fine.

Is it, though?  What does "overpriced" even mean?  That is not a rhetorical question.  Say that X% of DBP purchasers will save money on the package.  What X would be the tipping point between under- and overpriced?

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

That logic still doesn't mean it's not over priced just because SOME people are buying it at it's current price. I can guarantee if they would lower the price  of it, ALOT more people would buy the DBP where it was more reasonable and better value then it is now.

Sure, and if those many people are all drinking 10+ drinks, Royal may not be maximizing profits at a lower cost.  

21 minutes ago, baelor said:

I mean, this is basically asking people to just calculate how many drinks they would have otherwise.

Which is not what I think most people do when they justify the package…..it seems more like the question is can I drink enough to make it worth it, rather than would I normally want to. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Which is not what I think most people do when they justify the package…..it seems more like the question is can I drink enough to make it worth it, rather than would I normally want to. 

I am not so sure.  I imagine that at least some people have experience with all-inclusives.  Most of them have waited service in all outdoor areas.  A lot of patrons order about a drink an hour for most of the day and are completely fine.  Add in meals, coffee, etc., the package would more than pay for itself after half a day, let alone a whole day.

I am not so sure why people on this forum are so small-minded sometimes.  Unless you have actual statistical evidence about how people think and make decisions about X, it is really fallacious to make definitive claims about how others behave. 

You personally don't drink OJ at home, or you cannot imagine yourself having more than three cocktails a day?  Good for you; go have a cookie about it.  But that really has no bearing on what the thousands of other cruisers do or how they decide to vacation.  I know it is shocking, but people have *gasp* different preferences and priorities. 

1 minute ago, baelor said:

I am not so sure.  I imagine that at least some people have experience with all-inclusives.  Most of them have waited service in all outdoor areas.  A lot of patrons order about a drink an hour for most of the day and are completely fine.  Add in meals, coffee, etc., the package would more than pay for itself after half a day, let alone a whole day.

I am not so sure why people on this forum are so small-minded sometimes.  Unless you have actual statistical evidence about how people think and make decisions about X, it is really fallacious to make definitive claims about how others behave. 

You personally don't drink OJ at home, or you cannot imagine yourself having more than three cocktails a day?  Good for you; go have a cookie about it.  But that really has no bearing on what the thousands of other cruisers do or how they decide to vacation.  I know it is shocking, but people have *gasp* different preferences and priorities. 

There’s no need to be nasty, I’ve worked in the service industry and observed behavior for over thirty years. Have a nice day. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

There’s no need to be nasty, I’ve worked in the service industry and observed behavior for over thirty years. Have a nice day. 

The last part of my comment was not responding to you specifically; it was invoking statements made by numerous users over the course of not only this thread but others on the same topic.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:24 PM, Biker19 said:

Don’t you hate it when some business doesn’t price their product the way you think it should be priced. 

Well the price of alcohol isn't exactly a mystery in the world and a drinks package used be under 30$ a day for beer and wine. They cancelled my cruise with a $48 drinks package and put me on another with a $89 one plus grass and tax on top. 

The Price in Europe is $127 a day per person per day. Royal has openly said that Americans pockets are full of money and they want to take it from them. Well rather than improving things and selling new experiences they have just decided to hold their guests hostage and force them to pay up more for generally worse food, worse service and a worse covid impacted experience. 

If this wasn't a lift and shift id just go to all inclusive land holiday 5 star and save myself a fortune. The food experience in the MDR has gotten so poor that I can't bring myself to eat in there any more. Which explains why 1 meal in Chops is now $72 per person. 

I know inflation is bad in the states but blimey, maybe we do need a good recession to bring some reality back to the prices of things. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, baelor said:

$13 is cheap for a drink where I live.

And cheap compared to resort hotels, Disney World, etc

Someone used the term "greedy" in what cruise lines charges.  It is called supply/demand.  Basic economics and the base of capitilization.

If you don't like the price of the UDP don't buy it.  If enough people don't buy it at the offered price they will lower it.

For me before we made Diamond I would normally  buy the package based on a cost analyst taking into account if it was a port intensive intenery. 

After making Diamond the equation change so don't buy it as often.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gatour said:

Someone used the term "greedy" in what cruise lines charges.  It is called supply/demand.  Basic economics and the base of capitilization.

If you don't like the price of the UDP don't buy it.  If enough people don't buy it at the offered price they will lower it.

I have posted basically the same thing several times on threads on the same topic.  Royal wouldn't offer it if it didn't make them money.  If people stop buying it, or enough people stop buying it, prices will drop.  As long as people keep buying, they'll keep raising the price until they hit that tipping point.   Basic economics seems to be a hard concept for some people.

• Like 2

Ive also just noticed that if you book with a TA you can get it for £40 instead of £68 so basically RCCL just punishing people who booked direct or had L&S or FCC bookings. 

Im personally feeling annoyed because I turn Diamond 7 days in to the 14 day cruise and I get no discount on the DP because its only D+ and P so basically I get 4 drinks free on a cruise ill pay max price for the DP when others are getting discount for not booking direct.

I think ill make sure I give away 8 drinks to random strangers so royal loses $104 per day in drink sales they wont make.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gatour said:

For me before we made Diamond I would normally  buy the package based on a cost analyst taking into account if it was a port intensive intenery. 

After making Diamond the equation change so don't buy it as often.

100%. I’m a craft beer drinker and a 16 oz can of beer costs me $12.50 at a hockey game. Many beers I like can run me upwards of $1/oz and that’s retail pricing. I don’t even blink at paying $22 for a four pack of beer anymore.

On vacation, the only way to drink cheap is to literally go to a condo or something and buy your own beer from the grocery store. That’s typically what we do every year. But about every five years we “splurge” and go on a cruise, so perhaps my view is a little different in that I already view the cruise as a bit of a “luxury” vacation from what we typically do. 

I mean, our other vacations we clean our own place, make our own food, and, well, basically don’t get waited on hand and foot.   And god, compared to a place like Disney World, a cruise is a freaking bargain. I would estimate even with the DBP, I’m paying about 60% of what I paid to go to Disney for a week 5 years ago.

Is a Royal cruise more expensive than renting a condo for a week in NC? Absolutely. But it still tends to be a pretty good bargain considering what you get for the money. I would estimate for what we paid in fare, which includes our food for the week since we don’t specialty dine, I’m about even for what a week in NC costs us since we 1) stop halfway and spend the night, 2) drive there and gas is expensive. My flights to Florida were free because I used airline points.

The DBP is certainly an aspect that pushes it to be more expensive than the condo but all in all, I’m paying $850 more for a vacation where 1) I do no dishes 2) prepare no meals 3) don’t drive 9 hours and 4) have someone pick up after me. And that’s before adding that the Caribbean tends to be a much nice place than North Carolina lol

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, mattnday said:

I knew it was expensive but the last time we did it for 7 night it cost like $850. 

This go round it it over $1200 for our 7 night Carribean trip on the Allure coming up in November. 

They have finally got me to the point where I just wont dot it. I was expecting $1000 but not $1200

The total BS part is this is the lower sales price of what I have seen as part of one of their sales.

The normal price was closer to $1400 through my portal. 

You are right, Cruise Planner prices have increased a lot!

I don’t use the Deluxe beverage package, but do like the Refreshment package.  It’s $$ higher lately,  and Surf and Stream as well.   

I got great planner deals for my next two cruises ( purchased items before the cruise planner increases), but nothing yet for the following two.  While I hope prices would lower, they are probably going to increase more 🤦🏻‍♀️ .

Edited by ocean sounds

28 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

100%. I’m a craft beer drinker and a 16 oz can of beer costs me $12.50 at a hockey game. Many beers I like can run me upwards of $1/oz and that’s retail pricing. I don’t even blink at paying $22 for a four pack of beer anymore.

On vacation, the only way to drink cheap is to literally go to a condo or something and buy your own beer from the grocery store. That’s typically what we do every year. But about every five years we “splurge” and go on a cruise, so perhaps my view is a little different in that I already view the cruise as a bit of a “luxury” vacation from what we typically do. 

I mean, our other vacations we clean our own place, make our own food, and, well, basically don’t get waited on hand and foot.   And god, compared to a place like Disney World, a cruise is a freaking bargain. I would estimate even with the DBP, I’m paying about 60% of what I paid to go to Disney for a week 5 years ago.

Is a Royal cruise more expensive than renting a condo for a week in NC? Absolutely. But it still tends to be a pretty good bargain considering what you get for the money. I would estimate for what we paid in fare, which includes our food for the week since we don’t specialty dine, I’m about even for what a week in NC costs us since we 1) stop halfway and spend the night, 2) drive there and gas is expensive. My flights to Florida were free because I used airline points.

The DBP is certainly an aspect that pushes it to be more expensive than the condo but all in all, I’m paying $850 more for a vacation where 1) I do no dishes 2) prepare no meals 3) don’t drive 9 hours and 4) have someone pick up after me. And that’s before adding that the Caribbean tends to be a much nice place than North Carolina lol

Curious, where do you stay in NC at? We live in Virginia now and have vacationed at Southport, NC........just looking for other locations to check out. Recommend anywhere we should check out/

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Curious, where do you stay in NC at? We live in Virginia now and have vacationed at Southport, NC........just looking for other locations to check out. Recommend anywhere we should check out/

We love Ocean Isle Beach—been going there for a while now. Any of those Brunswick Co beaches are great (Ocean Isle, Sunset, Holden, etc)—though I think Southport is Brunswick too

Edited by doppelganger2621

Is there any difference in service depending on if you have the drink package or not?

I keep going back and forth on whether to get the package. With numerous lift & shifts, we ended up in a suite, some coffee and alcohol will be complimentary. 

Edited by goldfish65

On 5/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, firefly333 said:

Get to diamond and free drinks. Probably cheaper to just buy anything extra. 

On 5/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

For those that like Drink Packages, Internet and pay their gratuities, Royal is NOT a good value - Princess, Celebrity, Holland or NCL often come out at a better value all-in.  This was true even before the recent price hikes for all the ancillary items with Royal, and is why I have stopped sailing with them.  Sad as I'd love to try a Quantum Class ship and really love the radiance and Vision Class vessels.

Celebrity might be the best value for those looking for the all inclusive experience.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

We love Ocean Isle Beach—been going there for a while now. Any of those Brunswick Co beaches are great (Ocean Isle, Sunset, Holden, etc)—though I think Southport is Brunswick too

That is very close to Southport, as far as North we went was Oak Island. We also checked out Surf City which is north of Wilmington which was nice too.

You were close to Myrtle Beach , we stayed a Myrtle Beach too for a week in the fall last year.