9 Euro Flatrate for Public Transport in Germany

AnhaltER1960

10 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

You are fine on all routes (if you use RE/RB orS-Bahn trains, of course). No confusion, as long-distance trains cannot be used anyway.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I did some playing around with the AP last night. If you put in 2 travellers on the route you only get the “normal regional “fare ie 34€ for 2 travellers. You need to put in 1 traveller for the 9€ ticket to be offered. Then of course buy 2 tickets - 1 in each name.

There won´t be any trains going to Garmisch for the next few days.... Unfortunately a train derailed today - so far 4 people are accounted dead and 30 injured. The train derailed shortly past noon and lots of school kids were in the train (last day of school prior to the 2 weeks Pentecost school break). There are also reports of soldiers having been on the train who did help others to get out (not sure whether US or German soldiers). The train was on it´s way from Garmisch to Munich and the accident happened shortly past Garmisch. Two cars derailed and also the engine (which was pushing the train not pulling).

Currently trains from the South have to turn around in Garmisch, trains from the North turn around in Oberau. There are busses going between Oberau and Garmisch. The reason for the accident is unknown so far. But I expect that part of the rail system to be closed for at least a week or two until they were able to salvage the derailed cars and engine. After that they have to repair the tracks. Not mentioning the investigations.

steamboats

Latest news is that the train tracks are supposedly closed for about two weeks. Next to the train tracks there´s the major highway for this region B2 (the interstate/Autobahn A95 ends and turns into B2). This has to be closed for the rescue and salvage operations. A95 and B2 will stay closed at least for the weekend. As all cars are still connected and two cars turned over the salvage operation is not easy.

steamboats

There are two excellent reports in our news hopefully all injured recover well. One report did mention that the train may have been fuller than normal because of the 9€ tickets and that they expect the cause to be technical rather than anything else.

They think that about 140 passengers were in the train. It was the major train for school kids to return home. And unfortunately a 5th person has been found underneath the derailed car and it´s a school kid.

15 soldiers from the German mountain forces were in the train and the first ones to help others out. A fire commander and his collegues were driving by to pick up a new fire engine. He immediately took over control and stopped the traffic asking the people to help as first responders. A US soldier driving along in his car did see the train derailing - according to the news reports.

The street - which is a major connection to Austria - will be closed at least until mid next week.

steamboats

We just got back from Germany and the 9 Euro pass for each of us worked well.  On Wednesday midday from Karlstadt to Frankfurt was totally full (not used to that), and it worked for getting to the airport on the Sbahn.  I will say from  Karlstadt to Veitshochheim and return and from Karlstadt to Frankfurt--no one check our ticket.  The db bahn person did not come through at all, maybe train to Frankfurt was just too packed?

We saw the news about the train in Garmisch while we were in Germany, so sad.

• Like 1

Yes, they hardly can control the tickets. Actually I for my yearly ticket I have a plastic card with no name on in. Just a number and an expiry date (which is just a technical one and does not have anything to do with my ticket). The card has a chip and the people checking the tickets here in Munich do have a special device which can read the number on the chip and then checks online my name and the validity of my ticket. But the DB staff does not have those machines (except for Munich S-Bahn). So I already wondered how they want to check my ticket. Just trust me that I do have a valid ticket? I received a letter from DB telling my that my plastic card serves as a 9 Euro ticket. Maybe I should carry that with me in case I´m using a train.

I only went out to the airport this week (single ticket it 12.30 Euro) for meeting up with a friend for dinner.

steamboats

• Like 1