which cabin type to choose

rizello

Hello:

I'm getting ready for my first river cruise and trying to decide which cabin type to choose.  I figure there are lots of threads on this topic already, so if there is somewhere I should look, please direct me.  I'm also guessing that it doesn't matter the brand of the ship, as the room types are pretty consistent across lines.

Should I save $ and book a swan level room?  Or splurge a bit to book a veranda?  

People tell me you aren't in your room much so it doesn't matter.  Some threads mention that there is more engine noise in swan level rooms, but that verandas aren't always helpful if you are docked next to another ship most of the time.

If I booked a veranda would I be disappointed as most of the time we are docked next to another ship?  Or is it worth the extra to have some space to spread out and have more light?  

Appreciate any insights.  Thanks

The cabins tend to be far smaller on river ships than what you may be used to on ocean ships and in the age of Covid you may want to opt for as large a cabin or suite as you can afford in the event you find yourself Covid-positive and confined to your cabin.  In good weather I enjoy the “verandah” cabins for the fresh air and nice breeze on the occasions when the ship is cruising during the day…sometimes it’s too breezy up top.  You never know if you’ll be rafted next to another ship but it’s usually not every port.  But also bear in mind the verandah’s are usually “French balconies” which means they’re really just a floor to ceiling double sliding door with a railing.  It’s not usually a step-out balcony but one or two companies do have those which will of course reduce the interior space.

It would be helpful to know which river and which companies you’re considering because there are significant differences.

• Like 1

On an ocean cruise it is veranda, veranda, veranda for us. Our Yangtze cruise on President #7 even had a tiny veranda off of our very nice stateroom! But the one port day we decided the included excursion was a bit much for us and decided to relax on that veranda all we could see was the cabin on the boat buoyed up next to us that was an arm’s length away!

On our Avalon Danube cruise we chose the swan aka aquarium deck. Even thought the weather was too chilly for any outdoor deck enjoyment, we were able to spend time in the indoor common lounges with panoramic views, which was just fine.

We booked the same cabin category for our next year’s Rhine cruise and plan on being able to be on deck as much as possible since August ought to be lot more pleasant than November!

Personally, the savings of @$1k+ and the differences between a river and ocean cruise, is why we swan deck on the river!

• Like 1

Just FYI:  Viking put the center hallway off-center above the 'aquarium class' deck and gave the extra room to the Balcony cabins – as a result their French balcony cabins are smaller than normal.

Over 10 river cruises with Viking we've been in aquarium class, french balcony and veranda cabins.

Mrs P finds aquarium class claustrophobic: i think because she's not tall enough to see anything but sky through the high small window.

French balcony has an all glass  wall, one half can be slid open, but you cannot step out -- there's no balcony.

Veranda cabins also have an all glass  wall, one half can be slid open, and you can step out onto a narrow balcony on which is squeezed a small table and two chairs either side, one facing the front, one facing the back.

The times we have had a veranda we made little use of it; one can see only one side of the river when cruising and cruising produces its own breeze. 

So, even though we had a veranda, we chose to sit on the top deck (optimistically named the sun deck) or at the front of the boat where there are rocking chairs and (full sized) tables and chairs and a circulating waitron to take drinks orders. In inclement weather we'd sit in the comfy lounge and pop-out to the open deck if there was an approaching photo-opportunity. You can see them in the distance which you cannot from your balcony without sticking your head out which has risks, and if the boat is manoeuvring or going around a bend then you still cannot see the opposite river bank.

So our cabin of choice is a french balcony. if you're OK with having a small high  non-opening window then aqualung class is fine.

Now, boats are built for the rivers they operate on. The Portuguese boats aren't the same as the Rhine boats or Russian river boats. So the first factor is 'which river'. The second factor is 'when'. We were in a french balcony on our Rhine trip last month and never opened the sliding window as it was too cold, or raining.

Viking's website shows floor plans and gives size details of the various cabins. But we find we spend our time in the room only to sleeps, wash and dress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pontac said:

So, even though we had a veranda, we chose to sit on the top deck (optimistically named the sun deck) or at the front of the boat where there are rocking chairs and (full sized) tables and chairs and a circulating waitron to take drinks orders. 

Just learned a new word, thanks! I did imagine a robot ala Roomba navigating the boat to bring you your beverage of choice!

Edited by TMLAalum

When we sailed Viking I found aquarium class perfectly acceptable.  Of course, I could easily see out the high windows---dear wife could not.  I feel like on our next cruise we will have to spring the extra $$$ for a french balcony room just so she-who-is-to-be-obeyed can see out the window (even though we spent almost NO time in the room at all...............)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Just learned a new word, thanks! I did imagine a robot ala Roomba navigating the boat to bring you your beverage of choice!

Waitron is the term used in South Africa, it means either a waiter (male) or waitress (female). I think it is a very useful word, certainly better than writing waiter or waitress and waiter/ess.

@sharkster77 - I feel your pain in the wallet, of course might feel differently about that cabin class if I was shorter......

• Like 1

We chose a Swan cabin on the Scenic Azure on the Douro. I am short, so could not see out the window. Also the cabin on this ship is smaller than a standard French balcony or balcony cabin. The twin beds could be made up separately, but not physically separated. The person on the window side bed could not walk between the bed and the wall.  The bathroom was very tiny, especially the shower.  We spent all our time up on the upper decks, which is not unusual for a river cruise.  I think this cabin would work fine for a single, but it felt very tight for two people.

My conclusion is that I definitely need a full size window when I sail, and my travel buddy needs a larger bathroom. (We visited a "regular" cabin and found the sized much more to our liking.)

On Viking, We have had the French Balcony, the Veranda, and the lower cabin with half-height window.  Unless we can get the other cabins on sale, we take the lower cabin and the savings of at least $1,000..  With the window being high, it allows good light.  The lower cabin is also slightly larger than French balcony rooms.

In peak months, boats are rafted when docked, and if so, the curtain will be pulled across sliding doors of the balcony cabins, allowing no view (or light). When sailing, one opts to be in all window lounge, or outside, versus the 6 ft  side view from room glass door.  About the only real benefit from the sliding door is fresh air, and a chance to check weather temps. 

No matter which cabin chosen,  one is only in the cabin to sleep or change clothes. Without upgrading to suite level, the rooms simply do not have the space or seating for comfortable lounging.

• Like 2

We've only done one river cruise so far, and we had a veranda.  We cruised in October then and enjoyed sitting on our veranda now & again - maybe having a drink before going up to dinner after a day of touring or coffee in the AM.  It was really cool when going thru the locks -

We are going on our second river cruise later this year, and got the Veranda again...but we are 'outside' people and enjoy our home porch year round, so being able to step out or sit on a balcony is something we appreciate.  

• Like 1

We prefer a French balcony.  The ships we've been on have two curtains:  sheer and room-darkening.  Even if rafted we can close the sheer and still get light.  It makes the cabin so much more pleasant.  And we do spend time in the cabin other than showering and sleeping – there is so much social-time on river cruises that we savor the privacy!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jeff in Torrance said:

We've always gone for the aquarium class cabins, with no regrets.  We were "upgraded" to a real balcony on our first river cruise on Grand Circle.  It can be nice to have a small balcony, but wouldn't pay much extra for it.

Thanks for reminding me. Balcony cabins on traditionally designed (not Viking) ships are smaller than a cabin without a balcony as the balcony doesn’t extend over the side of the ship.