Do ships routinely dock backwards?

We went on RCCL for the first time in 5 years and I specifically booked a port side cabin to see the pier and hopefully the island.  Then the ship back into each port so my view was of the water. Not a bad view of course but just not what I planned for this particular cruise. So I wondered if this was normal, in which case it doesn't matter when I book future cruises. Thank you for your input.

39 minutes ago, FloridaGram said:

We went on RCCL for the first time in 5 years and I specifically booked a port side cabin to see the pier and hopefully the island.  Then the ship back into each port so my view was of the water. Not a bad view of course but just not what I planned for this particular cruise. So I wondered if this was normal, in which case it doesn't matter when I book future cruises. Thank you for your input.

There is no normal. The Captain decides based on weather, wind, tides and which side needs maintenance. You won't be able to pick a cabin that is guaranteed to face the pier at every port. So it does not matter for the pier but there are some itineraries where it might be better to pick a side for the best scenic views. 

• Like 2

Yes. Sometimes it's easier to back in than out. But, you can't really bank on a ship going in a certain way. The same ship, in the same port, might sometimes dock bow in...and it might sometimes dock stern in. There are a bunch of factors...cleaning, bunkering, loading/unloading/etc...that come into play.

Oasis class ships were designed to optimally dock starboard.  That said, Oasis class ships can and do sometimes dock port.  Sometimes perhaps the situation dictates docking port.  Other times because starboard lifeboats need exercise.  

Of course, many times when my stateroom overlooks the pier another ship pulls up along the other side of the pier.  My view for the day is another ship just yards away. I do pick my cabin based upon a hoped for view when docked

"Port" side on a ship simply means the left side of the ship, just like starboard means right side, that's all they refer to.  Ships can and do dock on either side. Sometimes determined by maintenance, sometimes by Captain's preference. Our experience in 32 cruises is you can't predict whether a ship will pull straight in or back in or which side of the dock they will park on (where there are two sides).  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

Port side doesn't really mean a view of the port. we were in a starboard room 2 weeks ago. We backed in twice and went front in once. But each time we had a view of the port. 

If OP thinks port side means a view of the port and rereading their post I suppose they might......... I would be amused butI could see how someone might take port side literally. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

If OP thinks port side means a view of the port and rereading their post I suppose they might......... I would be amused butI could see how someone might take port side literally

I had the same thought.  😄 

Technically, if you include Oasis class ships (which are designed to dock on starboard side)...that would mean "port facing" is mostly starboard.  😉 

Etymologically, the "port side" does refer to the side of the ship that is against the dock, but this is only because the "starboard side" is the "steering-board side".  Back when boats were man-powered by oars, the guy with the steering oar sat on the back right side where it was easier for a right-handed person to manage that job.  With the steering oar on the right side, you had to put the left side of the boat against the dock.  Modern boats and ships have no issues with a steering oar, so they can dock on either side.  

Choosing a stateroom on port vs. starboard may be more important on close-land cruises, like Alaska or Canada/New ENgland.  Even on those itineraries, both sides will get mostly the same view, just one gets it on the northbound leg and the other on the southbound leg.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

"Port" side on a ship simply means the left side of the ship, just like starboard means right side, that's all they refer to.  Ships can and do dock on either side. Sometimes determined by maintenance, sometimes by Captain's preference. Our experience in 32 cruises is you can't predict whether a ship will pull straight in or back in or which side of the dock they will park on (where there are two sides).  

Left and right side when facing toward the bow. 

Oasis class ship was docked port side to pier in Cococay this past Friday..I was on board Mariner docked starboard to pier. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

Left and right side when facing toward the bow. 

I knew someone would post that.  That is what I meant of course.  US Navy wife here lol.

1 hour ago, GJustice said:

I was giving OP the benefit of the doubt and assumed they know the meaning of port side not having anything to do with docking. 😃

To me it was clear they thought port side meant the side of the ship that is on the side where the port was.  

Many cruises ago I figured out you could never guarantee which way a ship was going to dock.  I choose cabins for a handy location, mid ships but not by port or starboard.

Bill

8 minutes ago, BND said:

To me it was clear they thought port side meant the side of the ship that is on the side where the port was.  

It was, we just like to show off our nautical lingo. 

• Haha 1

Of course, a ship can back in with the port OR starboard side to the dock, and can pull in with the port or starboard side to the dock (depends on which side of the dock the ship is on).  

While there's no guarantee, based on my limited knowledge, there's a better chance of a "port" view with a starboard cabin. 😄