Niagara Falls from Montreal

Bomax2

Hello,

I recently booked Boston to Montreal on HAL Zaandam for May 27, 2023. I was looking at goggle maps for ideas of places to see following cruise. I noticed Niagara Falls is within 4-5 hours drive of Montreal. I was wondering if it would be feasible to make a trip and flying home from there.  Has anyone done this? Any planning suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Kind of painful if all you want to do is look at the falls.  Perhaps some time in Montreal or Ottawa or Toronto instead?  Plenty to see and do and easy to drop off a rental car for a flight to US from any of those cities.

2 hours ago, Bomax2 said:

I was looking at goggle maps for ideas of places to see following cruise. I noticed Niagara Falls is within 4-5 hours drive of Montreal. I was wondering if it would be feasible to make a trip and flying home from there.  Has anyone done this? Any planning suggestions would be helpful.

As others have mentioned its feasible-- but its more like a 6-7 hour drive than 4-5. Its more like 5 hours from Montreal to Toronto. Then it's just shy of an hour and a half from Toronto to Niagara Falls.

If you do it what I would suggest doing is driving to Toronto the first day. Then driving from Toronto to the Falls and then double back to Toronto Pearson Airport to fly home. Dropping a rental car from Canada in the US can be a colossal PITA. 

Also regardless of how you do it, if you do go to the Falls from Montreal, stay on the Canadian side. It's MUCH better. The American side of the Falls is sort of sad. 

Thanks all for your input! Sounds like an incredibly long trip! Maybe I will look into other attractions in Or near Montreal. Just starting my research. Does anyone have suggestions of what to see or do in Montreal? 

7 hours ago, Bomax2 said:

Thanks all for your input! Sounds like an incredibly long trip! Maybe I will look into other attractions in Or near Montreal. Just starting my research. Does anyone have suggestions of what to see or do in Montreal? 

How long do you plan on being there?

36 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

How long do you plan on being there?

At this point I don’t really have a plan. Just starting to gather information. Maybe 2 or 3 days post cruise. We are sightseers and love historical stuff as well as local culture. Husband has limited mobility, uses a walker. We also like small tours with a guide. I have considered using Tours by Locals.  Used them in Boston and enjoyed the individual vehicle and guide. 

18 minutes ago, Bomax2 said:

At this point I don’t really have a plan. Just starting to gather information. Maybe 2 or 3 days post cruise. We are sightseers and love historical stuff as well as local culture. Husband has limited mobility, uses a walker. We also like small tours with a guide. I have considered using Tours by Locals.  Used them in Boston and enjoyed the individual vehicle and guide. 

Have a look at this for some initial thoughts/ideas:

QuebecForAll-2022-v2-Web-Spreads.pdf

I would not attempt the drive from Montreal to Niagara Falls.  The highway can be awful going through Toronto.  Try to find a flight from Montreal to Hamilton (or Toronto if you have to), then rent a car and stay in Niagara for a few days.  Visit Niagara on the Lake for pretty wineries and some history for two nights, and then one night in Niagara Falls Canada will be enough.  You can then take Niagara Airbus shuttle to Buffalo or Niagara Falls N.Y. airport to fly home, or head back to Toronto/Pearson airport.  Billy Bishop Airport on the Toronto Islands is another option but they may have limited flights.

BTW we just returned from the Zaandam Montreal to Boston.  Great cruise and itinerary.

Edited by onelegcraig

It is a long trip from Montréal to Niagara Falls. The city of Montréal and its surroundings have much to see and do, and if not previously visited it is likely best to stay there post-cruise. Perhaps make a day trip from Montréal to Ottawa, and visit the nation's capital. If you decide to go to Niagara Falls, then there is sparse benefit in going by automobile. Travel by Via Rail Canada or Megabus from Montréal to Toronto, then by GO Transit from Toronto to Niagara Falls. Leaving Niagara Falls, air fares may be less expensive from Buffalo than from Canadian airports. From Niagara Falls to the Buffalo airport, travel by Megabus or OurBus, or walk across the international border into New York and get a taxi on the American side.

• 4 weeks later...