(DISEMBARKATION) NCL stops testing with ten days notice to figure it out on own

vanchelle

🤪

CHANGE ONLY EFFECTS THOSE WHO DISEMBARK AND NEED A TEST TO FLY BACK HOME-

I’ve been watching the updates and requirements weekly  over the last six months (really since Feb 2021 when. I booked) as I know they’re ever-changing. 

I thought we were close enough to KNOW what to expect. Apparently not.  

We are on a Greek Isles Cruise June 19-26 and it seems that NCL is no longer covering our test to head home as previously and consistently published   
bummer. 
I’m so glad the board have posted how easy it is to get a local test but we’d planned to head to airport right after we were off the ship. What a pain-lol!

below is the email forwarded from my TA:

——————————————————————————-
Date: 06/02/2022

Dear Valued Guests,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon. 

In advance of your upcoming cruise, we want to ensure that you are aware of a change in the availability of COVID-19 tests prior to disembarkation. 

To best comply with local regulations, all guests disembarking who require proof of a negative COVID-19 test to return to their home country, will now have the following options: 

1. Purchase an easy-to-use telemedicine kit onboard (subject to availability)
2. Visit a local clinic 

This latest update will be in effect for all sailings beginning June 12, 2022, and beyond.

Should you need to locate a testing provider, we recommend you do so prior to beginning travel or while traveling to your cruise. For an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world, please visit www.TestForTravel.com. Simply enter the city and country where you will be traveling, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. 

Please note, guests who have booked a post-cruise hotel or have any other travel plans after disembarking the ship and returning to their home country, can utilize the same options listed above.

For additional information on our health and safety protocols, please visit www.ncl.com/sail-safe.

Thank you for your attention, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

You can also get them done in Athens airport, price will almost certainly not be the normal Greece 10 Euro but is very convenient.

I got a test at the Athens airport (15 minute results) and it was only 20 euro.  Still reasonable to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also on this cruise but have not received the notice! I just saw this on NCL website:

Italy Disembarkation Testing:

In order to best comply with local regulations, all guests disembarking in Italian ports (Civitavecchia and Trieste) who require proof of a negative COVID-19 test in order to return to their home country, will now have the following options:

1. Purchase an easy-to-use telemedicine kit onboard
  2. Test at your convenience at the Rome-Fiumicino International Airport or Trieste Airport
  3. Visit a local clinic   

Not happy!!!! We fly out of Venice, Marco Polo airport. I think that we can get an Antigen test there.

•  
  • Quick antigenic swabs, carried out every day inside the terminal on the ground floor from 07:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (at a price of €35).
    Reservations are not required; for info please call +39 320.8337932;

So in essence NCL is washing their hands, you are on your own and if you test positive oh well. In addition hundreds of people disembarking in a port and you just know a few will be positive on their merry way to spread it. From what I gather US is still one of the very few countries that requires the test to fly back to the US. I think everyone disembarking needs a test regardless if you need it to fly home or not. One major outbreak in a port that can be traced back to a cruise ship that port will be closing.

• Like 1

This testing change has really put stress on people that are flying back to the US.  We sail on the June 30th cruise and after I got that notice (originally it was June 17th, but now I see its June 12th) and it states you can get the emed tests "while supplies available" I decided to order the 6pack of emed kits to take with us.  The bigger issue will be to see if hundreds of people can get a good internet connection to actually have the test proctored!  Sure wish the US would lift this requirement (at least if vaxed/boosted!) - seems a bit useless at this stage other than to cause more stress.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, njkate said:

So in essence NCL is washing their hands, you are on your own and if you test positive oh well. In addition hundreds of people disembarking in a port and you just know a few will be positive on their merry way to spread it. From what I gather US is still one of the very few countries that requires the test to fly back to the US. I think everyone disembarking needs a test regardless if you need it to fly home or not. One major outbreak in a port that can be traced back to a cruise ship that port will be closing.

It is not only NCL I have friends leaving for and Alaska cruise next week on HAL.  They were just informed they will be on their own with testing in Vancouver after disembarking.

This happened to us Canadians as well. NCL back in November provided a PCR test for free onboard so we could fly home. By February they stopped the onboard testing and set up a site outside the terminal where you could get tested for a fee. So...8am PCR test...travel to the airport and wait 90mins for the email saying you could fly home. Thankfully we don't need a test to fly home anymore. Hopefully the US will change their stance soon as it is a pain worrying about getting home.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TSUmom said:

It is not only NCL I have friends leaving for and Alaska cruise next week on HAL.  They were just informed they will be on their own with testing in Vancouver after disembarking.

Okay so all the cruise lines are washing their hands! Not surprised once one line does something the rest eventually do too

We too are on the Jewel southbound first week of July. I seriously doubt we can get decent internet wifi to do the emed proctored tests done on the ship as we travel thru the inside passage. 

Hope the airport in Vancouver has testing options available. Going to be checking into that big time.  Geeze. 

11 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

We too are on the Jewel southbound first week of July. I seriously doubt we can get decent internet wifi to do the emed proctored tests done on the ship as we travel thru the inside passage. 

Hope the airport in Vancouver has testing options available. Going to be checking into that big time.  Geeze. 

Something interesting my friends just mentioned.  According to a person they spoke to with HAL is if you are going straight from the ship to the airport they don't have to worry about testing.  I told her she might should check into that more because it is the US that is requiring it for re-entry.  I also told her you can not rely on a random person answering your question correctly.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Something interesting my friends just mentioned.  According to a person they spoke to with HAL is if you are going straight from the ship to the airport they don't have to worry about testing.  I told her she might should check into that more because it is the US that is requiring it for re-entry.  I also told her you can not rely on a random person answering your question correctly.  

Thanks. I will definitely be checking into this. If the US does not relax their stance on the the airline won't let you board in Vancouver.

To all following this thread....   I just re-read the "travel requirements by country" within the Sail Safe pages on NCL website. It looks like only those ships doing the Europe itineraries and guests disembarking in those countries, will be affected by this new change. NCL lists the names of those ships impacted. They updated this info today. I encourage everyone to revisit these pages on the NCL website. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kdmbluerzr said:

About the wifi - they also turn it off when you reach port so little chance of doing your test as you arrive.  I wouldn't mind paying but it would help if they would proctor the tests onboard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also just noticed on their Sail Safe page that masks are required onboard in Greece and Italy ports!

On Greece & Italy Ports Only:

While docked in por, local government regulations require all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. Guests will be required to wear masks outdoors when social distancing is not possible. Please visit Cruise Travel Requirements by Country for more information about the destinations and mask type required.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cowboy296 said:

Also on this cruise but have not received the notice! I just saw this on NCL website:

Italy Disembarkation Testing:

In order to best comply with local regulations, all guests disembarking in Italian ports (Civitavecchia and Trieste) who require proof of a negative COVID-19 test in order to return to their home country, will now have the following options:

1. Purchase an easy-to-use telemedicine kit onboard
  2. Test at your convenience at the Rome-Fiumicino International Airport or Trieste Airport
  3. Visit a local clinic   

Not happy!!!! We fly out of Venice, Marco Polo airport. I think that we can get an Antigen test there.

•  
  • Quick antigenic swabs, carried out every day inside the terminal on the ground floor from 07:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (at a price of €35).
    Reservations are not required; for info please call +39 320.8337932;

NCL hasn’t emailed me directly yet either, I’ve found that my TA gets the notices 72-ish hours before I get it directly from NCL. 

1 hour ago, barbuda said:

This testing change has really put stress on people that are flying back to the US.  We sail on the June 30th cruise and after I got that notice (originally it was June 17th, but now I see its June 12th) and it states you can get the emed tests "while supplies available" I decided to order the 6pack of emed kits to take with us.  The bigger issue will be to see if hundreds of people can get a good internet connection to actually have the test proctored!  Sure wish the US would lift this requirement (at least if vaxed/boosted!) - seems a bit useless at this stage other than to cause more stress.

THIS!! I’m worried about Wi-Fi strength for proctored so I have a back up plan of either airport or quick pharmacy run when we disembark. I need to coordinate with a transfer company who will stop if we need to. My TA was saying she had folks on the Earlier sailing and they have even less notice. 

Apparently the airlines are pushing hard to get the requirement dropped - so fingers crossed this happens soon.  Otherwise I sure hope my NCL-arranged flights give me enough time to get to the airport, get tested, get through customs and all that good stuff!

• Like 2

In reading multiple posts about current cruises in US where there are a HIGH number of Covid positive day of/day after disembarking, my question and concern is more around what if you test positive. NCL no longer will assist with the required quarantine arrangements? Does that also mean that Travel Protection through NCL also no longer has responsibility?  Sounds like a third party international health care insurer might be a good add on under the new NCL policy.  We had one last year when did the Greek Isle cruise with a few days in Athens afterwards—mainly because US Medicare doesn’t work outside of the US.  Honestly I’d be more concerned about testing positive than finding a test.  

• Like 1

We are on the Dawn in October, disembarking in Italy. I was wondering what we were going to do about COVID testing since we were planning to stay an extra day in Rome prior to flying home.  Now, it appears that it doesn't matter if you fly home the same day or a day later, you have to do your own testing somehow.
I have read that the airport in Rome has a great and quick testing center and I think that it what we are going to try.  Tele med proctored testing is just a little unreliable for us - what if you can't get an appointment in time, wi fi connection, etc - since it is a 24 hour requirement for the US.
I can only hope that the US will drop this requirement since it is really does not appear to be stopping anything.  

My biggest concern is that if one of us tests positive - we are booking our post cruise extension through NCL.  Would NCL insurance cover through this?