What happens if you don't pay in full by the deadline?

23 hours ago, waytoodeep03 said:

That is very unfortunate. No idea why they require payment in full so far out from the sailing date.

It’s called cash flow. 

They need the money coming in to fund overall operations it’s not like your fare just goes to the line items for that ship.  .  

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

They sure did, one of my cruises was cancelled like two days after I paid it off. I was nonplussed.

I cancelled our summer 2020 cruise (Princess) with a refundable deposit before the final payment was due as we saw it could never happen. The cruise line waited until after final payment was due. I guess holding a lot more money while processing refunds helped their short run cash flow.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

How long ago was that? I bet it was in the days that a lot of passengers were cancelling, and they were hoping that with an extension people would be less likely to cancel. (And they hoped the cruises would actually sail, but alas many did not.)

It was late spring/early summer 2021 for my Europe 2021 cruises. I had two b2b cruises with two rooms on each sailing and the total amount due was over 10k so I really didn't want to tie up that much money for a year or more.  I had multiple FCC and OBC (including one for canceled MG inaugural where I actually got fcc for 25 percent of the rate) on that sailing so I had to let them hold on to the money or I would have lost a lot of FCC and OBC...but that didn't mean that I wanted to give them a bunch more.  They were saying they were going to sail in Europe, but I knew it was highly unlikely even though they were insisting they would be. No one was sailing in Europe yet at the time. They had already been holding on to my deposit for the MG inaugural and my 2020 Europe cruises that were applied to these that were then canceled...and each time they required new deposits.  So they already had several thousand. I didn't feel the need to give them several thousand more.  

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

It was late spring/early summer 2021 for my Europe 2021 cruises. I had two b2b cruises with two rooms on each sailing and the total amount due was over 10k so I really didn't want to tie up that much money for a year or more.  I had multiple FCC and OBC (including one for canceled MG inaugural where I actually got fcc for 25 percent of the rate) on that sailing so I had to let them hold on to the money or I would have lost a lot of FCC and OBC...but that didn't mean that I wanted to give them a bunch more.  They were saying they were going to sail in Europe, but I knew it was highly unlikely even though they were insisting they would be. No one was sailing in Europe yet at the time. They had already been holding on to my deposit for the MG inaugural and my 2020 Europe cruises that were applied to these that were then canceled...and each time they required new deposits.  So they already had several thousand. I didn't feel the need to give them several thousand more.  

I don't blame you for not wanting to give them more. Even with the extremely low interest rates banks now pay, it is more than zero. And they also had to know just as you did that those cruises were not sailing.

The one I mentioned we cancelled before final payment in 2020 was a Norwegian fjords cruise. Norway was closing ports; I knew the cruise could not happen, and I am sure they (Princess) also did well before they cancelled. And I was reading all sorts of posts about how slow their refunds were being sent. (Ours for the refundable deposit and one excursion we bought did come at right about the 90 day mark they were promising.)

I guess there were some who did not figure it out as someone joined the roll call after we cancelled.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:35 AM, waytoodeep03 said:

That is very unfortunate. No idea why they require payment in full so far out from the sailing date.

Airlines require payment in full when you book... so do all inclusive resorts. Their policy is their policy and it's pretty consistent across the cruise industry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:35 AM, waytoodeep03 said:

As a business person, I understand why. Unlike the airlines that require payment in full, they have offered you the courtesy of putting a deposit to hold your booking until 90 days prior to the cruise. If you don’t pay at the 90 day mark, they have a better opportunity to sell your cabin without losing money on it. If they allowed you to wait any longer, they run the risk of not making the amount they expect to make. Very simple and completely spelled out in the contract you made when you paid your deposit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, waytoodeep03 said:

It all depends on the length of your cruise.  

In addition, your final payment date was clear at booking.  It is still clear any time you log on to make another payment.  It is clear on the app.  

It's on you to comply with their requirements or risk losing your trip and anything you paid for it.  Whether you like the requirements or agree with them is irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:30 AM, ontheweb said:

Many TAs will add a few days or even a week extra before the cruise line's due date when they give you a due date, so that you have a cushion if you forget or if there is possibly a problem with your credit card being accepted.

Thankfully most travel agents provide excellent service. When I have put a down payment with Carnival then ask if I want email alerts plus I set up my own alerts of important dates.