Mosquitos

kcmo74

Are they a real problem in Alaska, or is it overblown? My wife has the kind of blood they feast on and she has been watching Tik Toks of people that live up there wearing nets around their heads. They don’t like to bite me so I’m not worried.

My wife has the same problem that your wife has.  We were in one place in Denali.  I don't know if you have ever been in Australia where you have to wear a head net to avoid the swarming black flies.  My wife had to wear her Australia black fly hat.  Depends upon the season and the place you are in but they can be a real problem.

DON

• Like 1

They can be pesky but if you are sticking to town or water based excursions you won’t have much to worry about. If you are going on a land trip or hiking into more interior areas in your ports - like Dyea in Skagway, or up Mount Roberts in Juneau, or bear watching types of excursions you may encounter them. Bring bug spray just in case!

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 3

Husband lived in interior Alaska for most of his life and always says the state bird of Alaska is the mosquito.  On the coast less of a problem but be prepared if you are particularly to their taste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catchum said:

Husband lived in interior Alaska for most of his life and always says the state bird of Alaska is the mosquito.  On the coast less of a problem but be prepared if you are particularly to their taste.

I can't remember where it is but we were in one place in AK where they had a maybe 6 ft statue of a mosquito labeled as the AK state bird.

DON

• Haha 1

One year we were in port in Skagway and there were huge mosquitos around us when we were on the pool deck . Also earlier when we went on the Suspension Bridge tour. I always pack travel size mosquito repellent . Also packing Benedryl Cream , Anti Itch Cream

Edited by LovetheSea

We went on a canoe trip on the lake in Haines as well as a kayaking tour in icy strait point and the bugs were BAD.....whenever we stopped moving they were worse, and anytime we were slowed down near the shore in the kayaks we were all swatting....the kayaking was ok when we were farther from shore, but I would say most of the canoe trip we had bugs....

2 things I recommend (as do a ton of other folks)

#1 Bug Bite Thing - used PROPERLY (that means really reading the instructions and following them exactly). This item works on virtually any insect bite for removing a great deal of the irritant. Not 100% perfect, but it really does provide a huge relief.

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Bite-Thing-Suction-Remover/dp/B01576DWQU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QQAWPI0ZI4SJ&keywords=bug+bite+thing&qid=1654984729&sprefix=bug+bite+thing%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-2

#2 A Picaridin based insect repellent. Our choice (and many, many others) is Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent. Two very specific benefits to using Picaridin. It doesn't ruin some fabrics like DEET based products. And this is HUGE - it doesn't stink like DEET based products. We are currently using the 4oz spray bottles, but I have also just purchased the 4 oz lotion to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picardie-Repellent-Fishermans-SP544/dp/B07BSN5YLN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LN09U798DC18&keywords=sawyer+picaridin+insect+repellent&qid=1654984660&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-3

or

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picardie-Repellent-Fishermans-SP544/dp/B00VV5KRD8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LN09U798DC18&keywords=sawyer%2Bpicaridin%2Binsect%2Brepellent&qid=1654984660&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-3&th=1

Right now - the best value is the single bottle package of the 4 oz lotion. Currently $5.97 (or $1.49 per ounce) I just ordered - and received single package 4 bottles.

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 4

I was once an avid fan of CC.  I read about mosquitoes and how many types.  Well DH laughed at me.  He knows I often have to received medical treatment due to insect bites.

Guess what...he is now a believer.

We were on a June cruise and when walking around the lodge the mosquitos pinged our rain jacket.

While @MendenhallGlacier a local gathering "ice" had a netted hat on.  

So....I pack Natrapel wipes.  They work great!!

On 6/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, SDPadreFan said:

2 things I recommend (as do a ton of other folks)

#1 Bug Bite Thing - used PROPERLY (that means really reading the instructions and following them exactly). This item works on virtually any insect bite for removing a great deal of the irritant. Not 100% perfect, but it really does provide a huge relief.

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Bite-Thing-Suction-Remover/dp/B01576DWQU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QQAWPI0ZI4SJ&keywords=bug+bite+thing&qid=1654984729&sprefix=bug+bite+thing%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-2

#2 A Picaridin based insect repellent. Our choice (and many, many others) is Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent. Two very specific benefits to using Picaridin. It doesn't ruin some fabrics like DEET based products. And this is HUGE - it doesn't stink like DEET based products. We are currently using the 4oz spray bottles, but I have also just purchased the 4 oz lotion to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picardie-Repellent-Fishermans-SP544/dp/B07BSN5YLN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LN09U798DC18&keywords=sawyer+picaridin+insect+repellent&qid=1654984660&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-3

or

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picardie-Repellent-Fishermans-SP544/dp/B00VV5KRD8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LN09U798DC18&keywords=sawyer%2Bpicaridin%2Binsect%2Brepellent&qid=1654984660&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-3&th=1

Right now - the best value is the single bottle package of the 4 oz lotion. Currently $5.97 (or $1.49 per ounce) I just ordered - and received single package 4 bottles.

Thank you so much for this, I am buying both immediately.  Mosquitos eat me and my son alive - I will take anything that can help.  We are doing a rainforest walk in Ketchikan and a hike in Skagway.  Hopefully its still cool enough that there aren't too many around. 

51 minutes ago, CarlieInSF said:

Thank you so much for this, I am buying both immediately.  Mosquitos eat me and my son alive - I will take anything that can help.  We are doing a rainforest walk in Ketchikan and a hike in Skagway.  Hopefully its still cool enough that there aren't too many around. 

If you buy the Sawyer Spray as opposed to the lotion. The spray is a spray it on/wipe it into your skin (not an air dry). So spray and wipe, spray and wipe. For face - spray into hands and wipe on face. The lotion does provide about 2 hours of extra protection but both last a pretty long time.

The absolute best repellent that I have used is made in Alaska. As someone who is a feast for mosquitoes, I swear by Alpenglow.

https://www.alpenglowskincare.com/collections/alaskas-best-insect-repellent?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ZLm3K-y-AIVqWtvBB3smAy9EAAYASABEgJIQ_D_BwE

We shore fished in Juneau near Fish Creek where the receding waters revealed the breeding grounds of all sorts of insects as they swarmed upon us like sesame seeds on bagels. Also hiked into the Kenai Wilderness to a public use cabin. The mosquitoes may hover but generally don’t land and if they do, they immediately take over. Such an effective essential oil based repellent. I use it here In Florida too. 

In the mid 80's, I lived and worked for 3 seasons at Denali-days off, would go hiking and camping in the park. I remember one time being at Wonder Lake. It was a beautiful sunny day, and not a cloud in the sky -"the mountain" was out-it was heaven on earth, but also a living hell, with all those pesky skeeters. I swear, millions of them.😮. Wear the hat with the  mosquito netting, and dress in long pants, , long sleeved shirts, etc. No skin exposure. Same thing at the Artic Circle at solstice. (summer😉!!!)

1 hour ago, Cali Viajera said:

Anita Latte, I took your advice and have two bottles of Alpenglow for our land tour that begins Sunday🦟🦟

It's like an oil. A little goes a long way but you do have to make sure that you get full coverage and cover all exposed skin. It is easily absorbed so it doesn't leave you feeling greasy or oily or sticky. I prefer to pair it with looser fitting clothing or thicker clothing, because I've been bitten through my clothes...and I don't put this repellent or any other on my clothing. 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:39 AM, Crew News said:

Travel to Alaska when the weather is still cool, late April and May.  Prices are much cheaper, no mosquitos, and still a hint of snow on the higher peaks.

There has been a lot of snow still on the mountains on our current cruise.

Alaskan Mosquitos are like the Pirahna in the back waters of the Amazon.

A scent of blood sweat tears in the air and a ravenous feast is about to commence !

Air movement - RUN - but you can't hide from them.

It is not one bite but a series of bites causing one to do a slap dance number.

Remember to check about the carriage of bug and other pest sprays in your carry-on

airline baggage (number quantity limits) Bear spray is extremely critical !!!