Booking Non-Refundable Deposit and Gty. Cabin

Hi everyone.  Although I have cruised many times, I always book at least a year out, and never book a gty and non-refundable deposit.  I am considering booking the Voyager for this September and will probably book a ZI (gty. inside) and non-refundable deposit, as final payment is due the end of this month anyway.  My questions are as follows:

1.  After we are assigned our cabin, may we change to a different cabin in the same category which is available without penalty.  I believe the answer to this question is yes, I just want to be certain; and

2.  If we decide to upgrade to a different category after final, i.e. connecting promenade, would we be able to do that without penalty?

I prefer to be midship as close to an elevator as possible.  I know that booking a gty. is always risky, but right now, the price difference is more than I am willing to pay.  I am hoping prices on other categories drop.  

Thank you.

Thank you in advance for your answers to these questions.

54 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Hi everyone.  Although I have cruised many times, I always book at least a year out, and never book a gty and non-refundable deposit.  I am considering booking the Voyager for this September and will probably book a ZI (gty. inside) and non-refundable deposit, as final payment is due the end of this month anyway.  My questions are as follows:

1.  After we are assigned our cabin, may we change to a different cabin in the same category which is available without penalty.  I believe the answer to this question is yes, I just want to be certain; and

2.  If we decide to upgrade to a different category after final, i.e. connecting promenade, would we be able to do that without penalty?

I prefer to be midship as close to an elevator as possible.  I know that booking a gty. is always risky, but right now, the price difference is more than I am willing to pay.  I am hoping prices on other categories drop.  

Thank you.

Thank you in advance for your answers to these questions.

Just my thoughts, gty can be assigned quite close to sail date. You might have little time to change to another more mid ship cabin. Ships are at closer to capacity and the best locations could be gone by the time you are assigned. 

If it's that good of a deal, just book it if you dont care about location. I've been assigned good and bad. Worst was under the ships galley/kitchen. Prices to me are going up, book it and enjoy whatever you get. 

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just my thoughts, gty can be assigned quite close to sail date. You might have little time to change to another more mid ship cabin. Ships are at closer to capacity and the best locations could be gone by the time you are assigned. 

If it's that good of a deal, just book it if you dont care about location. I've been assigned good and bad. Worst was under the ships galley/kitchen. Prices to me are going up, book it and enjoy whatever you get. 

I've got it on hold.   Have a couple days to think about it before deposit is due.  Under $1k total for 2 of us.  There is a promo code that brought it under $1k "WELCOME."  

• Like 1

During the restart and over the last several months I'm seeing a lot cruises close or sell out as the cruise approaches.  They have cabins available to fulfil GTY bookings but they are not available to view or purchase on the website.  That can make changing cabins problematic as there is no inventory for a phone agent to view or move you to.

If a cruise does get "closed"  you can't upgrade to another category if that category or the whole ship is closed even though they may be holding back some cabins. 

Conventional or pre-pandemic experiences are not being realized at the moment.  Maybe by September but who know?.  Back then I'd say you stand a chance of changing cabins once assigned.  In current times I wouldn't count on it, but you never know.

• Like 1