Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 23

Pictures taken between Monday, June 6 and Sunday, June 12.

June Gloom has set in here with cool, overcast mornings. What does your June look like? Take some pictures!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Surprise, surprise - June (officially winter) has started off nice and sunny, albeit with a hefty wind-chill factor thrown in.

These guys had a bit of a neighbourhood stand-off. When I first spotted them, the gulls were loudly arguing against the outsider who just rather meekly sat there. Quiet then returned for a little while before an approaching pooch made them all fly off.

RX033746.thumb.JPG.550308d37bfd0de8c000cb702a424a18.JPG

• Like 5

OK.  So I've been away from the boards for a while - it's been a hectic few weeks, one of which involved no photography, and one which involved some phone shots.  On June 2nd I caught Covid from a co-worker...despite the vaccine and booster, it still got through - admittedly my symptoms weren't really too different from a bad cold, with the strange addition of my taste buds converting anything sweet to tasting like vinegar.  I managed to get through it by 6/7, and scored 4 consecutive negative tests in time to feel good to go to Disney World on 6/10 for a 5 day trip.  That's where the phone came in.  The night before I left for Disney, my living room big screen TV decided to die.  I didn't have the time to deal with it, but it had me discombobulated and thinking about it as I packed that night.  The next morning, I packed my car and headed up to Disney, only to arrive and discover I had left my camera bag with all my equipment sitting back home on my desk in my office.  So I had to get by with a phone (and not even a great one - iPhone 8 ) as my sole photographic device.  I can say for absolute sure I will never be happy with a phone as my camera...I hated everything about using it - no viewfinder, no dials, no spot focus, just the whole interaction was unpleasant for me.  And then just to throw a bonus cherry on top, when I got back from Disney, bought a new TV, got it all hooked up, all while trying to unpack, do laundry, and get back to the office the next day...my AC started blowing warm air.  Motor died!  So had to get that fixed while getting caught up at work.  Phew!  So now, looking back, I can add a few shots to this weekly thread - though not much - just some of the Disney snaps with my phone from the 10th - 12th...

The Riviera Resort as seen from the Caribbean Beach resort:

original.jpg

Cinderella's Castle in Magic Kingdom, with storm clouds threatening:

original.jpg

Epcot was having the Flower & Garden festival...here's one of the topiaries of Pooh:

original.jpg

A Bambi topiary and display garden:

original.jpg

And here's the real Pooh, out with his net:

original.jpg

And the Seven Dwarves in foliage version:

original.jpg

• Like 5

After two years of delay and three re-bookings, we finally went on Hailee's graduation cruise. For eight days, we were able to pretend we were important as people took care of us and wanted us to be happy. Our first stop after sailing was Royal Caribbean’s private island, Coco Cay. Along with our daughter’s family and our two friends, we split the cost of a cabana at the Coco Beach Club. Worth. Every. Penny. It was large enough to accommodate all eight of us (plus the baby) comfortably, surrounded by a wall of jungle and had a semi-private beach. Just before noon, we were served lunch that consisted of filet mignon and lobster served in bamboo carry-out boxes. A “Perfect Day”? Yes. Yes, it was.

Perfect Day

563011797_2022-23PerfectDay.thumb.jpg.deda30c8bcc4c53a9c7bfd9f22d09bb0.jpg

Dave

• Like 4