RCCL Staff did not recognize Virginia Enhanced Drivers License

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

It does not say anything about it being valid for a cruise.  It does not imply that it is an alternative to a passport either, you are reading more into it than is there.  

When the cruise says "Hey do you have an Enhanced Drivers License?"  and your state says "Hey, this is what we have for an enhanced drivers license" you take them for their word.  Unless someone takes the time to clarify.

To assume that people look up all the forms of ID out there is absurd.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BillHoo said:

When the cruise says "Hey do you have an Enhanced Drivers License?"  and your state says "Hey, this is what we have for an enhanced drivers license" you take them for their word.  Unless someone takes the time to clarify.

To assume that people look up all the forms of ID out there is absurd.

Your state is not saying it has an enhanced driver's license just because a Google search is taking you to information for REAL ID when you search for enhanced driver's license.  You misunderstood what an enhanced driver's license actually is and luckily, you had brought your passport with you so that you could cruise.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Your state is not saying it has an enhanced driver's license just because a Google search is taking you to information for REAL ID when you search for enhanced driver's license.  You misunderstood what an enhanced driver's license actually is and luckily, you had brought your passport with you so that you could cruise.  

Yes.  that is exactly what I am saying.

But you know, at 2 AM when I am checking in, that's what I found.

Edited by BillHoo

43 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

I totally didn’t mean VA—I meant Washington haha

Well, a rude security staffer would not find that funny... Where's your passport Bubba?

3 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

Yes.  that is exactly what I am saying.

But you know, at 2 AM when I am checking in, that's what I found.

Lesson learned, do not search for something at 2am and always read the information at a .GOV site versus any other article that might pop up.  The RCG staff was correct in denying your REAL ID.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

Yes.  Until now, I had not realized there are two different kinds of "extra" ID.

Virginia has been pushing hard for their REAL ID as a passport alternative. Most of the validating documents are citizenship related.

Did not know there was an ENHANCED ID out there.  So when I did the check in and and it asked what ID I would use, I selected Enhanced Drivers License assuming that is what I had.  Though I had my passport handy, it's easier for me to just flash my drivers license.

The REAL ID is the only enhanced option for getting on a plane offered by Virginia and is accepted in all 50 states.  So I assumed that to be the Enhanced ID.

They should make the clarification on the registration.  Do they care that 1/50th of their passengers may not have the appropriate ID?

I live in VA.  It's a real PITA to get a Real ID.  I know people who have had to go back because having the correct documents can be a hassle. My Dad for example has had a passport (expired) but when he went to get his Real ID a few years ago, it was discovered that on his BC his middle name was misspelled by one letter.  He had to jump through hoops and go through the state he was born in to get it fixed first.  No one had ever noticed and the spelling was correct on every other official document he had.  I haven't gotten one yet but I really don't need it.  Besides a passport, I have a dependent military ID as my DH is a retired US Navy Captain.  My DL doesn't expire for a few years so eventually I'll do it, but have been putting it off since I don't really need it and at one point getting an appointment (due to Covid) was virtually impossible. 

But, I knew I couldn't use the VA DL to cruise.  

Edited by BND

59 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

Yes.  Until now, I had not realized there are two different kinds of "extra" ID.

Virginia has been pushing hard for their REAL ID as a passport alternative. Most of the validating documents are citizenship related.

Did not know there was an ENHANCED ID out there.  So when I did the check in and and it asked what ID I would use, I selected Enhanced Drivers License assuming that is what I had.  Though I had my passport handy, it's easier for me to just flash my drivers license.

The REAL ID is the only enhanced option for getting on a plane offered by Virginia and is accepted in all 50 states.  So I assumed that to be the Enhanced ID.

They should make the clarification on the registration.  Do they care that 1/50th of their passengers may not have the appropriate ID?

First, you are not required yet to have an Enhanced DL to fly.  Second, it's not Royal's rules.  It's immigration's laws.  

1 minute ago, BillHoo said:

Yea,  REAL ID is an "enhanced ID", just not THE Enhanced ID.

No, it is not. It is the most that VA offers, but that doesn't make an Enhanced ID, which has a specific meaning. It's incumbent on you as a traveler to know what you have.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BND said:

First, you are not required yet to have an Enhanced DL to fly.  Second, it's not Royal's rules.  It's immigration's laws.  

Yea, I don't really see a use for REAL ID now, other than to charge more for the drivers license.  I can use my passport or military ID for most needs.

I had to use my passport and SS card to get the REAL ID.  Both of the previous IDs have more clout.

It's like asking for a passport and SS card for a Library card and told the enhanced library card is only good at one library!

Edited by BillHoo

58 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

I checked in my wife, online with her passport info.

Although I had my passport, I figured "Oh Cool!  I can use the REAL ID instead!"  Not knowing Enhanced was something else.

Pity other travelers who may not have had any other forms of ID.

I think most travelers know better.  Haven’t ever heard of anyone being  denied boarding.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

From the Virginia DMV, their text implies REAL ID is an alternative to a passport.

"If you do not get a REAL ID, you must have an alternate form of federally accepted identification (valid U. S. passport, U.S. Department of Defense ID, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), etc.) to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility beginning May 3, 2023. "

So, evidently your own State’s website confused you.  That is not a cruiseline’s fault. Maybe you should urge your State to clarify their website;  we all expect government to be excellent at responding quickly to such concerns 🤣

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

So, evidently your own State’s website confused you.  That is not a cruiseline’s fault. Maybe you should urge your State to clarify their website;  we all expect government to be excellent at responding quickly to such concerns 🤣

If only!

I have a passport, so I have no need for a "REAL ID", "Star ID" or "Enhanced Driver License".  There is no I tried to get a Star ID a few years back.  After waiting hours to see an examiner, I was denied because the utility bill I presented was a "copy" and they require an "original".  I get no utility bills by mail - they are all electronic, so any bill I can hand them will come off my printer.  That's when I decided I did not need to bother with it.  

• Like 2

Good to post, in case other people are making the same mistake in their cruise prep.

However, this isn't the cruise line's fault in my opinion. No where does Royal Caribbean list on their website that an Enhanced Driver's License is enough. It consistently states, you need either a passport, or a birth certificate and a photo ID. The only time that "Enhanced Driver's License" comes up is at check in, and Royal has to use those words there, as that is the official name given to certain documents by the government. Not Royal's fault if people get confused by the names the government uses.

• Like 2

Imagine if the OP had posted this experience as a lesson in case anyone else was confused as to the differences between a Real and Enhanced ID, instead of trying to blame the State of Virginia and Royal for their mistake.

• Like 2

It was very easy to get the Real ID LICENSE in CT.  Our renewal notice listed the documents needed.  I took them to my local AAA office. The process took about 15 minutes & I left with a temporary.   Got the license in the mail about 10 days later.  Easy peasy 

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, poocher said:

It was very easy to get the Real ID LICENSE in CT.  Our renewal notice listed the documents needed.  I took them to my local AAA office. The process took about 15 minutes & I left with a temporary.   Got the license in the mail about 10 days later.  Easy peasy 

Same with me in MA.  I also went to the local AAA office and was in and out in no time.  They send you a list of the exact documents that are accepted, was very simple.  Real ID arrived within a few weeks.

5 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Yea, I don't really see a use for REAL ID now, other than to charge more for the drivers license.  I can use my passport or military ID for most needs.

I had to use my passport and SS card to get the REAL ID.  Both of the previous IDs have more clout.

It's like asking for a passport and SS card for a Library card and told the enhanced library card is only good at one library!

I live in VT and we have had both Real ID and Enhanced DL for years.  I get the Real ID because we have to, but I have never paid extra for Enhanced because a Passport opens more doors.  Enhanced is like getting the passport card instead of the Passport.  You can't fly internationally with Enhanced DL or Passport Card, so why bother.