Cruise Questions - my first post on here in nearly 2 years

Muffinz

Ok so this is my first post on here in nearly 2 years

We were booked on Solstice to cruise from NZ to Fiji, Samoa, US Samoa, Tonga back to NZ on 1 April 2020 - but alas it was not to be......

It took us nearly 7 months to get a refund - I made several posts on here about the 'refund saga'....

We've not really been interested in looking at any cruises until recently.... now we've found one we like the look of in February 2023 on Eclipse

the price is very good, but only they have limited cabins available (Verandah)

now for a couple of questions 

1) I'm sure last year? in an e-mail from celebrity they said that cruises were now all inclusive of (standard?) Alcohol.... but when I did a dummy booking last night it came up with a price for 'cruise only' and another price for 'all inclusive' (alcohol / wifi) the all inclusive price was about $1200 more than the 'cruise only price'

We're not really interested in free wifi... can you just pay for the 'cruise only' then add just a classic alcohol package each? I didn't see an option to do that, but then again we didn't go right through with the booking to the payment side.

The cruise is 9 nights, so I was wondering how much a classic beverage package each would be for 9 nights?

2) on our last cruise on Solstice in April 2018 we were midship on the 'hump' - the bit that juts out if that makes sense (room 9221) all the rooms on Eclipse seem to be differently numbered and the only verandah rooms available were nearer the front of the ship or near the back of the ship.

My wife has some walking difficulties (Arthritis in her knees) so would it be better to be near the back of the ship closer to the lifts to go to the oceanview cafe or nearer the front of the ship closer to the main dining room? 

also I assume Eclipse is pretty much a 'mirror image' of Solstice?

if there are any noticable differences can someone please let me know what they are, and if there have been any other significant changes to cruising since the pandemic? (e.g. wearing masks on board, no self service at the buffet)

thanks in advance

1. Yes, you can add a beverage package through the cruise planner once booked. AI also includes gratuities, so you'd want to consider that amount as well. (But perhaps not for an AU/NZ cruise; I am not familiar with the booking differences. The grats may be in the fare.)

2. The MDR is at the back of the ship (or perhaps the entrance is midhip-ish), not the front. The theater is in the front.

You should read Celebrity's "Healthy at Sea" information on the website. Click "requirements" at the top of any page.

Edited by hrhdhd

You are correct  that you did see once-upon-a-time that all cruises would be always included although there was an asterisk that some passengers would not get always included.  But now for most cruises you have a choice between simply sail and always included so you have to do the math to see what gives you the features you want at the price you want.

stay closer to the midship elevators for best access to oceanview buffet and restaurants

9 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

Alcohol.... but when I did a dummy booking last night it came up with a price for 'cruise only' and another price for 'all inclusive' (alcohol / wifi) the all inclusive price was about $1200 more than the 'cruise only price'

We're not really interested in free wifi... can you just pay for the 'cruise only' then add just a classic alcohol package each? I didn't see an option to do that, but then again we didn't go right through with the booking to the payment side.

The cruise is 9 nights, so I was wondering how much a classic beverage package each would be for 9 nights?

Hi!  Welcome back to cruising. 😃

Celebrity now offers Cruise Only rates for some sailings in addition to All Inclusive.   Prices recently went up for the Beverage Packages.

Classic is $69.00/per person/per day + 20% Gratuity

Premium is $84.00/per person/per day + 20% Gratuity

🍹

If you added the Classic beverage package and the daily gratuities it will cost $880 per person.  If the price difference of $1200 total, not per person then AL price  it would  be less expensive and also give you wi-fi.

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

Ok so this is my first post on here in nearly 2 years

We were booked on Solstice to cruise from NZ to Fiji, Samoa, US Samoa, Tonga back to NZ on 1 April 2020 - but alas it was not to be......

It took us nearly 7 months to get a refund - I made several posts on here about the 'refund saga'....

We've not really been interested in looking at any cruises until recently.... now we've found one we like the look of in February 2023 on Eclipse

the price is very good, but only they have limited cabins available (Verandah)

now for a couple of questions 

1) I'm sure last year? in an e-mail from celebrity they said that cruises were now all inclusive of (standard?) Alcohol.... but when I did a dummy booking last night it came up with a price for 'cruise only' and another price for 'all inclusive' (alcohol / wifi) the all inclusive price was about $1200 more than the 'cruise only price'

2) on our last cruise on Solstice in April 2018 we were midship on the 'hump' - the bit that juts out if that makes sense (room 9221) all the rooms on Eclipse seem to be differently numbered and the only verandah rooms available were nearer the front of the ship or near the back of the ship.

My wife has some walking difficulties (Arthritis in her knees) so would it be better to be near the back of the ship closer to the lifts to go to the oceanview cafe or nearer the front of the ship closer to the main dining room? 

also I assume Eclipse is pretty much a 'mirror image' of Solstice?

if there are any noticable differences can someone please let me know what they are, and if there have been any other significant changes to cruising since the pandemic? (e.g. wearing masks on board, no self service at the buffet)

thanks in advance

Welcome back to Cruise Critic, muffinz, I remember you well.

There are variations among the designs in the different S class ships, but Solstice and Eclipse are quite identical.  They have the same specialty restaurants and the Hot Glass Show area. 

Actually I do not recall any differences in the cabin numbers that you speak of.  However Celebrity is rolling out a new cabin category system which will be taking place next year.

Other suggested trying a mock booking and see how the fares work out.  Most likely a AI promo will work out cheaper if you want a beverage package.

Would definitely suggest having a few TAs compete for your business.  Do an internet search and ask some questions.   My TA has cabins on you cruise with AI, is refundable and is about $400 less than from X.  Research definitely pays off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Other suggested trying a mock booking and see how the fares work out.  Most likely a AI promo will work out cheaper if you want a beverage package.

Would definitely suggest having a few TAs compete for your business.  Do an internet search and ask some questions.   My TA has cabins on you cruise with AI, is refundable and is about $400 less than from X.  Research definitely pays off.

I agree, most always, cruise company's offer lower prices and often even added perks to Celebrity's original ones. There are some really good ones too.  It makes a world of difference when you find a good TA IMO. 

7 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thanks for the replies.... we won’t be going through a TA as that was the mistake we made for our last cruise (that was cancelled) and they were woefully inadequate when it came to chasing up our refund... they kept telling us to be patient, but they weren’t proactive at all

my wife did all the work calling celebrity cruises in the USA.....

It has really put us off using a travel agent to be honest

as I mentioned there are no cabins available mid ship near the central elevators, there’s a few nearer the front and some nearer the back 

thanks for the advice on the alcohol packages... I’ll look into it

as far as I can remember the cruises ‘down under’ include gratuities in the fare

8 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Welcome back to Cruise Critic, muffinz, I remember you well.

There are variations among the designs in the different S class ships, but Solstice and Eclipse are quite identical.  They have the same specialty restaurants and the Hot Glass Show area. 

Actually I do not recall any differences in the cabin numbers that you speak of.  However Celebrity is rolling out a new cabin category system which will be taking place next year.

Thank you for the very informative graphic to upcoming changes!   I see that in '23/'24 some Retreat features could possibly be very crowded with more categories* included;  unless these cabins have always been designated suites?

(Edge Series) Iconic Suite
RF
(Reflection Only) Reflection Suite
PS Penthouse Suite
EV
(Edge Series) Edge Villa
RS Royal Suite
HS
(Silhouette Only)

Horizon Suite
(former “SN” Sunset Suite on Silhouette) Suite along forward of ship

SG
(Reflection Only) Signature Suite
CS Celebrity Suite
*AS AquaClass® Sky Suite Expand to ML & SL Series, EG and AX
*SS Sunset Sky Suite Sky Suites on aft of ship

S1 Sky Suite (mix of former S1’s & S2’s) Prime Location – either midship or

higher deck

MS
(Edge Series) Magic Carpet Sky Suite (former S3’s) Sky Suite around Magic Carpet area

Edited by Oceangoer2