Is INK 48 walkable to the MCT?

Peachypooh

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Sure. It's only about 1,000 feet from the hotel to Pier 88 .

Are there street level crossings or pedestrian bridges? Can’t remember. Always thinking about stairs and elevators with bags!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, markeb said:

Are there street level crossings or pedestrian bridges? Can’t remember. Always thinking about stairs and elevators with bags!

It's a street level crossing of 12th Ave. at 48th St. You can see the crosswalk in this photo. There's a small center island between the northbound and southbound lanes of 12th Ave. where you can stand if you can't make it across the full width of the street on one traffic light cycle.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal/@40.7700321,-73.9974191,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipP3DZm00heUMMXxJeM9loiKPrQU8tGhOVqAQDUZ!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipP3DZm00heUMMXxJeM9loiKPrQU8tGhOVqAQDUZ%3Dw203-h114-k-no!7i5248!8i2952!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c25a151b7d5b8b:0x33e7db2f6f3ab119!8m2!3d40.7700321!4d-73.9974191?hl=en

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

A taxi or Uber when you only have to  walk 1,000 feet?  A 4-5 minute walk? Not unless you have some type of disability.

With suitcases yes , without I would walk

7 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We are thinking of staying here before our cruise. Is it walkable to the terminal?

My initial thought was that it is, of course, walkable. San Francisco is walkable from New York! I think the question you wanted to ask is whether the length of the walk is reasonable. As answered here, it is a very reasonable walk: the distance from the hotel to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is about the same distance as it is from one end of the vessel Norwegian Breakaway to the other end. There might not be another hotel that is more reasonable in distance that this one. What a great place to stay!

• Thanks 1

If your luggage has wheels and you can manage a 1/4 mile walk with that luggage this is very walkable. 

If you can't manage that walk, I am guessing you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Edited by Nitemare
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

If your luggage has wheels and you can manage a 1/4 mile walk with that luggage this is very walkable. 

If you can't manage that walk, I am guessing you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Yes I am capable. I should have been more clear. Sometimes there are street barriers and other such things that make walking especially with a suitcase hard. I thought I could walk once from the Marine Air terminal at LGA to the rental car place but thought the better of it when I saw the lack of continuous sidewalks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I thought I could walk once from the Marine Air terminal at LGA to the rental car place but thought the better of it when I saw the lack of continuous sidewalks

There are a number of places where it may be entirely lawful to walk--not a limited access highway but a regular highway with full access--but the authorities have so devoted the way to the movement of automobiles that they have created a hazard for anyone travel but for in a motor vehicle. And indeed, a short walk on such a facility could lead to a fatality. There are too many highways like that in New Jersey. Pedestrian access to Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne falls in that category of being hazardous because of its focus on motoring. Unfortunately, there are a few cases in New York where that is also the case. I might not agree that the walk between the Marine Air Terminal and the Avis and Hertz rental car facilities is like that (there is a sidewalk the entire distance along Bowery Bay Boulevard), but there are some other locations that are uncomfortable for pedestrians. Fortunately, there are very few of those situations in Manhattan. Even though 12th Avenue (West Side Highway) is so devoted to automobile movement, the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and surrounding areas are very much accessible to pedestrians with reasonable safety. And for completeness I will note that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, too, is readily accessible to pedestrians.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

There are a number of places where it may be entirely lawful to walk--not a limited access highway but a regular highway with full access--but the authorities have so devoted the way to the movement of automobiles that they have created a hazard for anyone travel but for in a motor vehicle. And indeed, a short walk on such a facility could lead to a fatality. There are too many highways like that in New Jersey. Pedestrian access to Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne falls in that category of being hazardous because of its focus on motoring. Unfortunately, there are a few cases in New York where that is also the case. I might not agree that the walk between the Marine Air Terminal and the Avis and Hertz rental car facilities is like that (there is a sidewalk the entire distance along Bowery Bay Boulevard), but there are some other locations that are uncomfortable for pedestrians. Fortunately, there are very few of those situations in Manhattan. Even though 12th Avenue (West Side Highway) is so devoted to automobile movement, the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and surrounding areas are very much accessible to pedestrians with reasonable safety. And for completeness I will note that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, too, is readily accessible to pedestrians.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and also for clarifying the sidewalks along Bowery Bay Boulevard. It will be helpful the next time we have to make that walk.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve stayed in a hotel about 1000 feet away from Ink 48 (Holiday Inn Express on 48th) with 2 kids under 10. Suffice it to say that not only is it walkable - it’s a very safe walk! Crossing 12th street was super easy and the porters are right there to greet you, tag your bags and cart them off! 48th street runs in the opposite direction from the port, so unless it’s raining, I’d save the money for a taxi or Uber and walk it!

• Like 2