EZ Air WARNING!!!! Early Ticketing Causes Fees???!!!!

dreaminofcruisin

16 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Her video (click bait) brings up several questions:

1. Did he select modify 

2. Was he within 45 days

3. Why wasn't he advised to go onto AA's website to secure seats

4. Ticketing does not mean the flight will not change as flights are being continually  modified (ie: canceled, rerouted, reassigned)

5. Does she know that the charge comes from the airlines and EZAIR just passes it along?

6. Was it just a mis-speak when she said in 1 place the increase was 840 and in another 140?

7. Did he choose aisle seats which carry a surcharge on the airline site?

Yet another case where an ordinary traveler (me) can punch holes in her video. No I'm not subscribing

You are so correct.  I found a lot of questions too.  I think it will make any CC member be very cautious about changing or advance ticketing their EZAIR bookings.

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

If it is code share (an airline sharing routes, ticketing, mileage program accural, etc with each other)

…will see example….DL5557 operated by Air France.  So it has a DL flight number but is operated by AF.  So, seating rules would be by the operating carrier.  
If course if you’re flying AF, you would check in at AF on their website, etc.

Otherwise, you’ll just see the DL flight number, operated by Delta. 

Interesting-We are Delta frequent flyers and booked an upcoming cruise from Southampton with the intention of flying Delta. One of the trips was to be on Delta while the other was on Virgin Atlantic. Code share airlines but if I booked the Virgin Air leg as a Delta flight (same flight with different number) it would have cost me almost $100 more for each of us. As Delta premium members we were able to book seats on the Delta flight using Delta app, but could not book seats on the Virgin flight. Now waiting to see what happens with "premium" seats that I have paid Princess for? I do not believe Princess (EZAir) has paid the airline? 🙂

5 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

Interesting-We are Delta frequent flyers and booked an upcoming cruise from Southampton with the intention of flying Delta. One of the trips was to be on Delta while the other was on Virgin Atlantic. Code share airlines but if I booked the Virgin Air leg as a Delta flight (same flight with different number) it would have cost me almost $100 more for each of us. As Delta premium members we were able to book seats on the Delta flight using Delta app, but could not book seats on the Virgin flight. Now waiting to see what happens with "premium" seats that I have paid Princess for? I do not believe Princess (EZAir) has paid the airline? 🙂

I went to the Virgin Atlantic site & booked my seat for free. And yes, I'm not ticketed as flight is 86 days out. Want to refare myself if price drops

Edited by Ombud

6 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

Yes, the Delta ones are usually higher than the Virgin Air code share.  I pay a little more to do the DL flight. 

Is the Virgin flight operated by Delta?

or by Virgin?  When is your ticketing date?

Edited by PacnGoNow

15 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

On our British Isles cruise (flying RT out of Orlando), we had a DL flight # but it was a Virgin flight for the return flight.  Could not select the return seat assignments at the time of selecting the flights .  I called Virgin Atlantic and was told if we signed up for their FF Club we could select our seats 3 days out from the return flight date or either have to wait till 24 hours before flight.  We signed up for the FF Club and had an email telling us that we could now select seats (3 days before the flight).  Our travelling friends decided not to sign up and they had to wait until 24 hours before the flight to be able to get their seat assignment - way in the back of the plane.

Edited by coo359a2

5 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

On our British Isles cruise (flying RT out of Orlando), we had a DL flight # but it was a Virgin flight for the return flight.  Could not select the return seat assignments at the time of selecting the flights .  I called Virgin Atlantic and was told if we signed up for their FF Club we could select our seats 3 days out from the return flight date or either have to wait till 24 hours before flight.  We signed up for the FF Club and had an email telling us that we could now select seats (3 days before the flight).  Our travelling friends decided not to sign up and they had to wait until 24 hours before the flight to be able to get their seat assignment - way in the back of the plane.

Yes, and that’s because Virgin is the operating carrier.  Their rules.  

We are talking about a Virgin flight number (code share) but is operated by Delta.  So, Delta rules.  Or, at least I am. 😂 
Have a wonderful time!!!

19 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Was yours operated by Delta?  I never do my seating on EZAIR, always go to the operating airline website.

Supposedly. Delta NS operated by Virgin Atlantic. Unable to get seats on Princess website (desktop ... can ever get on mobile site). 

For my EZAIr flights, I was able to select seats for the outbound (AA), but not the return (United, thru Swiss Air). Once my flights were FINALLY ticketed (about 20 days out), the seats I had already selected disappeared. I had to go on AA and Swiss Air to select new seats. 

25 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Supposedly. Delta NS operated by Virgin Atlantic. Unable to get seats on Princess website (desktop ... can ever get on mobile site). 

So yours is operated by Virgin. You went to Virgin  website and got your seats.

👍🏻 

• Like 1

I have flown for all but 1 of my cruises and always use EZAIR. Until 2019 I always got seats on the airlines apps. Only AirCanada, Southwest, & British Air did not let me select a seat without an additional charge, so I try really hard to avoid them. I almost always book flexible air, just 1× booked restricted but that Southwest flight was leaving in 46 days anyway. Never a problem getting flights changed (1× BA scheduling issue,  Dec 2021 prior CVP switched my return after I got to port city) And always got seats

But then I've only flown 6× post covid.

Edited by Ombud

12 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

If that was a change fee...it's new.

Pre-shutdown, I requested early ticketing because the airline wouldn't assign a "comfort" seat (upgrade for more legroom) until the ticket was paid for. There was no additional charge, with the exception of the charge for the "comfort" seat.

this was not a fee....the price of the air ticket is NEVER guaranteed until ticketed. So if you want to hold the price of the ticket you need to ticket when reservation is made. These people waiting and then decided to ask for ticketing but the price had gone up.  Until you are ticketed you really can't be sure what flights you are on. After that you still have to keep checking...schedule changes can happen.

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

this was not a fee....the price of the air ticket is NEVER guaranteed until ticketed. So if you want to hold the price of the ticket you need to ticket when reservation is made.

Reality has been that the pricing does not change if you do not pay early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My experience was no extra fee for early ticketing. Selected Princess EZ Air for return flight from London Gatwick back to US, on British Airways. Sailing is in August, ticket held in late May.  (Sailing over to UK on Cunard QM2, so only needed flight home). Unable to select seats on BA until ticket paid, so one week after holding tickets I called Princess and had flights ticketed; no extra fee for early ticketing but you lose the ability to cancel flights for refund. Was then able to log in to BA site and select seats. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Reality has been that the pricing does not change if you do not pay early.

okay did not realize they would guarantee the price.  With the scenario presented above with the add collect of over $800 that could not all be fees.  

What am I missing?  I just changed a flexible booking that has not been ticketed.  I've read the T&C and I don't see anything saying the fare I agreed to and authorized on my credit card could be increased at ticketing, only taxes and fees.  I see two places that said the flight rates are not subject to change.

Flight rates are not subject to change prior to the receipt of final payment on the cruise and air booking. Flights which are confirmed on a booking remain at the same rate, with the exception of a change in taxes or fees or a schedule change resulting in the cancellation or re-booking of flights.

Please educate me as a first time EZ Airer.

image.png.09eb3ce836ca2b20b8785a956c70ca43.png

9 hours ago, kathy49 said:

this was not a fee....the price of the air ticket is NEVER guaranteed until ticketed.

That's not correct. On the Princess EZAir page under Flexible fare rules: Prices are not subject to increase, except for charges resulting from increases in government imposed taxes or fees. (Bolding mine.)

Once you book a flexible fare, your price is guaranteed, unless you choose to rebook your flights. What would be the point of "book now, pay later" if the rates weren't guaranteed once you book?

We booked our flights for our June 25th cruisetour last September, for a flexible fare rate of $1250 per person in first/business class. Prices only went up from there. By final payment, our same fights had more than doubled. But we still paid the $1250 rate at final payment.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

That's not correct. On the Princess EZAir page under Flexible fare rules: Prices are not subject to increase, except for charges resulting from increases in government imposed taxes or fees. (Bolding mine.)

Once you book a flexible fare, your price is guaranteed, unless you choose to rebook your flights. What would be the point of "book now, pay later" if the rates weren't guaranteed once you book?

We booked our flights for our June 25th cruisetour last September, for a flexible fare rate of $1250 per person in first/business class. Prices only went up from there. By final payment, our same fights had more than doubled. But we still paid the $1250 rate at final payment.

Okay there it is in writing so not sure what the OP is talking about because no government fees go up that much.  I saw the show that this was discussed and Cruise lines do not pay airlines until ticketed with early ticketing...in one case an entire Delta itinerary was shifted to multi connecting flights on AA with no seats assigned.  I think the smartest way to try to insure the original flight schedule is to just ticket it when booked. But then I would not accept AA in place of DL and need more control over my booking   In fact I would probably just book myself and take my chances....but I guess with Covid and so much changing better to let cruise line handle it. These people were on phone with EZ Air night after night for  many hours and never got the change back to DL.

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

Okay there it is in writing so not sure what the OP is talking about because no government fees go up that much.  I saw the show that this was discussed and Cruise lines do not pay airlines until ticketed with early ticketing...in one case an entire Delta itinerary was shifted to multi connecting flights on AA with no seats assigned.  I think the smartest way to try to insure the original flight schedule is to just ticket it when booked. But then I would not accept AA in place of DL and need more control over my booking   In fact I would probably just book myself and take my chances....but I guess with Covid and so much changing better to let cruise line handle it. These people were on phone with EZ Air night after night for  many hours and never got the change back to DL.

As volatile as things are in the airline industry right now, I don't think you're safe from anything, regardless of how it's booked. I continue to check our flights daily, usually more than once, to hopefully avoid surprises.