Warning if planning to travel to the Port the day of the Cruise!!!

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What about train from Dallas to Miami?

The gulf coast leg of the Sunset Limited route on  Amtrak has yet to be replaced since Katrina. Not sure if I will see it in my lifetime and I am only in my 50's.

7 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

The gulf coast leg of the Sunset Limited route on  Amtrak has yet to be replaced since Katrina. Not sure if I will see it in my lifetime and I am only in my 50's.

Wow that bad that is. Guess they haven't got the money

A group of 6 got missed their cruise in Seattle, arriving at 3:30 for a 4 PM departure due to their airline's flight schedule changes.

If you find yourself in a situation that you will likely arrive very closes to departure time, please call the contact phone number listed in your cruise documents (found in the first few pages).  If the shore-side staff knew that these passengers were arriving late, there could have been the possibility to work with the ship to get these passengers onboard.

It must have been so disheartening to see the ship still at the dock, but not being able to board.

• Thanks 1

We're flying into Miami 2 days before our cruise this fall.  We always have flown in a day early and even doing that almost didn't make a cruise in 2017.  Weather cancelled flights all up and down the east coast.  We finally all got there (10 of us) in the early hours of the morning, but it was a scramble.  We also had to pay a lot for two one-way tickets on another airline to get everyone there in time to catch the ship.  Now I plan for two days, just in case.   Luckily we can do it as DH is retired and I have plenty of vacation time, or can take time without pay.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We're flying out of CVG July 16 to board Mariner on the 17th.  DW and I have already discussed it... if our flight gets canceled, we're driving to Florida!  It should be a ~14 hours, it will be a crowded minivan (4 adults, two teens), but we're going to do our best to not miss the cruise.  

Of course, our flight is at like 4:30P, so we need to make a call around 7-8p on what we're doing.  

I remember 20yrs ago having trouble trying decide Drive or Fly, this when Gas went from less then $1 to almost $2. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

16 hours ago, loman said:

I was ... that guy ...  that typically flew in the day of the cruise . 

Always a direct flight , and never had any issues.

For my next cruise i booked a room in FLL and am flying in the day before.

Wife was getting nervous watching the fiasco at the Toronto Airport YYZ .

Booked a room at the Riverside to experience Las Olas Blvd.

Could you do a flight out of Buffalo?
YYZ is just a disgusting mess.
There are also hotels across the street that have in the past given free parking for the duration of your trip if you stay over the night before your flight.

We have a cruise booked in Dec. 
Leaves on a Sat, we're flying outta Buffalo on Thurs..... because if it's cancelled and things are still as convoluted with no guarantees like they are now we'll keep driving to FLL and should still make it in time.
Oh what a time to be alive..... sigh

We almost had to drive from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale in February due to flight cancellation for weather.  Flight was cancelled 2 days prior to cruise so we could have done it but sure didn’t want to.  Ended up rebooking at our expense from Houston to Miami.

Glad we are driving this summer to the port.  DS flew back from cruise in May and got bumped from flight because they would have missed their connecting flight.   They missed an extra day of work but at least it was at the end.  

We may need to start flying in 2 days prior.  We don’t want to do that as hotel expenses are high but at least if the flight is cancelled you could drive and make it.  Next Florida cruise isn’t until December so we will wait and see.  

17 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

It's not just airplanes. The day we were departing on the Anthem of the Seas TS from NJ, Amtrak was shut down in the entire state. Not sure how many people didn't make it. 

I was also on the Anthem for that cruise. You never know when a tree will fall on the tracks creating disruption up and down the coast!

• Like 1

Our flight canceled during the middle of the night for our flight Saturday at 11am dfw to ewr for our Sunday cruise. Thank goodness I woke up during the middle of the night and was able to change my flight. Original flight DFW to EWR. I was able to book dfw to mci and then mci to lga. It cost $143 via lyft to get me back to EWR where my hotel and my  airport to port transfer. Saturday was a heck of a day. I made the ship Sunday however 5 of my friends did not. 😒 The closest they could get was Baltimore However there were not any rental cars available for the 3 hr drive to Jersey. 

For Our next cruise out of MIA I'm seriously considering flying in Thurs night for our Saturday cruise.

Edited by cynt

35 minutes ago, cynt said:

Our flight canceled during the middle of the night for our flight Saturday at 11am dfw to ewr for our Sunday cruise. Thank goodness I woke up during the middle of the night and was able to change my flight. Original flight DFW to EWR. I was able to book dfw to mci and then mci to lga. It cost $143 via lyft to get me back to EWR where my hotel and my  airport to port transfer. Saturday was a heck of a day. I made the ship Sunday however 5 of my friends did not. 😒 The closest they could get was Baltimore However there were not any rental cars available for the 3 hr drive to Jersey. 

For Our next cruise out of MIA I'm seriously considering flying in Thurs night for our Saturday cruise.

Depending on the time of year, try to take the earliest flight.  Afternoon/evening thunderstorms are common in the summer/fall and that's what messed us up the last time we were flying into FLL/MIA.  

3 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

Could you do a flight out of Buffalo?
YYZ is just a disgusting mess.
There are also hotels across the street that have in the past given free parking for the duration of your trip if you stay over the night before your flight.

We have a cruise booked in Dec. 
Leaves on a Sat, we're flying outta Buffalo on Thurs..... because if it's cancelled and things are still as convoluted with no guarantees like they are now we'll keep driving to FLL and should still make it in time.
Oh what a time to be alive..... sigh

I could fly out of Buffalo i guess , but not into taking a road trip to the airport .

I get to YYZ in 15 minutes . 

I hope the mess will be resolved by september . 

They just lifted the random testing out of the airport to an offsite location when

arriving , and that is supposed to help. ( for june only )

I hope its eliminated all together by september .

Now i am hearing that the random testing is being eliminated all together for june only at canadian airports  and the random testing to resume in july at an offsite facility . 

So who knows for sure what the canadian government is doing .

We are sailing on a Sunday out of Port Canaveral in August.  We are flying in on Friday, hopefully with no problem. And then flying home over Labor day weekend. Between all the noise about flights being canceled this summer, and flying on a major holiday week which seems to be a trigger for cancelations, we decided to go ahead a book a second rt flight for everyone, second one arriving on Saturday the day before the cruise.  With the SWA sale this week so made it point affordable and points being refundable up to 10 minutes before departure, it made sense to book another set of flights just in case. If the Friday flights are a go, we will just cancel the Saturday ones and get our points back.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:02 PM, loman said:

I was ... that guy ...  that typically flew in the day of the cruise . 

Always a direct flight , and never had any issues.

For my next cruise i booked a room in FLL and am flying in the day before.

Wife was getting nervous watching the fiasco at the Toronto Airport YYZ .

Booked a room at the Riverside to experience Las Olas Blvd.

What time is your flight out of Toronto?  It has been my recent experience, and those of friends, that the early morning is a big problem, but later in the day - no worries.  You sail right through...  I'd still arrive early and be happy to belly up to a bar or have some lunch if you have time to kill.

11 hours ago, KiwiGal117 said:

What time is your flight out of Toronto?  It has been my recent experience, and those of friends, that the early morning is a big problem, but later in the day - no worries.  You sail right through...  I'd still arrive early and be happy to belly up to a bar or have some lunch if you have time to kill.

Flight is 10:35 am . I procrastinated on whether to fly out early the day of , but wasnt keen on getting up at 2 am . 

So when we finally decided to go a day early the flight had doubled in price.

I was looking at  $ 700 for the both of us several months ago to  $1432 now.

You snooze , you lose .🙂

You are correct in the early flights creating kaos , as they tell you to get there 3 hours early , so people show up around 3 am and the airport employees dont start until after 5 am .

I will always take a later flight the day before from now on , as i am retired and dont get out out bed at those ungodly hours for those same day flights.

Cheers !