Mariner Terminal 5 Parking confusion

We just received our cruise documents for our July 9 Mariner cruise out of T5 in Port Canaveral, and this statement was in the document(emphasis mine):

Pier Long Term Parking
Parking is available in the garage across from Cruise
Terminal #5. Payment is required as you enter the facility
and can be made in the form of cash or credit card.

Recent posters have reported that you actually pay as you leave the terminal at the end of the cruise.

Which is correct? We haven't cruised out of that terminal in a few years, and you used to pay on the way out. Did RCL manage to change the process with the port authority?

We returned from Mariner on June 3 and the only option was to pay as leaving. This resulted in a 45 minute wait on level 2. There was only one person assisting the 3 payment machines.

50 minutes ago, BND said:

That's so weird that they handle it differently than T1 does where you pay as you go in which makes so much more sense.  

T10 used to pay as enter when Freedom was here. Pay as you exit allows you to charge more. Pay as you exit seems unique to Pt Canaveral. I guess they are willing to lose a little revenue to make the process smoother.

BTW, on our last trip from T10, you could pay in advance and scan your receipt to enter. It didn't work very well. Probably why they don't do it at T1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

T10 used to pay as enter when Freedom was here. Pay as you exit allows you to charge more. Pay as you exit seems unique to Pt Canaveral. I guess they are willing to lose a little revenue to make the process smoother.

BTW, on our last trip from T10, you could pay in advance and scan your receipt to enter. It didn't work very well. Probably why they don't do it at T1

They have or had pay as you exit in Ft Lauderdale.  It was a few years ago.  The machine ate my credit card.  That was a lovely experience  NOT

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Well, T1 on Harmony last Nov/Dec we paid for both weeks on entry.  They did the first week on the machine at the entrance to the parking lot (garage was full) and then used a handheld for the second week's receipt.  We prepaid online for one cruise out of PC. It may have been Freedom in 2011.    But, you'd think since PC is one large port, that there would be consistency.

We've paid on entry and exit on different cruises.  In Baltimore, you pay as you enter.  No machines.  There is a covered area with two lanes and a small building where you pay as you drive up.  We paid for our 20 night b2b and they gave us a different tag that showed we had paid for both.  It works very well.  They used to take cash as well as CC, but now only CC's.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

It seems that people have had different experiences at terminal #5,  but as someone who used that terminal 3 times in May, and twice in December, I always pay as I entered the garage. And that's the fact, by paying up front on a B2B, I only paid for the first cruise, and a "freebie" on the second half. That is NOT the case for other terminals.

After looking at my sign/sail cards, that was late April, not May. Sorry about the time period.

Edited by Luke104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Luke104 said:

It seems that people have had different experiences at terminal #5,  but as someone who used that terminal 3 times in May, and twice in December, I always pay as I entered the garage. And that's the fact, by paying up front on a B2B, I only paid for the first cruise, and a "freebie" on the second half. That is NOT the case for other terminals.

T1 has been second week free as long as I remember, but I read on FB that has changed and they are scanning plates to verify you didn't pay for 1st trip only.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luke104 said:

T1 - the new RCL terminal, you pay when you enter the garage, but pay when you exit from the overflow lot across the access road. The last time we sailed out of T10 - the old RCL terminal, we paid when we exited. T8 - the Disney terminal, we paid when we entered, and recent cruisers out of the T5/T6 complex - the two older carnival terminals, have reported that you pay on exit. This is so confused that it is making my head hurt.

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

T1 has been second week free as long as I remember, but I read on FB that has changed and they are scanning plates to verify you didn't pay for 1st trip only.

That would be hard to enforce since there is no pay station at the garage exit.

Hopefully someone who is on Mariner this week will be able to clarify when they get off the ship, because what this thread has so far are three diametrically opposed and mutually implausible definitive answers.

2 hours ago, Garmy4 said:

We returned from Mariner on June 3 and the only option was to pay as leaving. This resulted in a 45 minute wait on level 2. There was only one person assisting the 3 payment machines.

39 minutes ago, Luke104 said:

After looking at my sign/sail cards, that was late April, not May. Sorry about the time period.

2 hours ago, SECdawg said:

We paid on the way out. 45 minutes wait for us also.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Hopefully someone who is on Mariner this week will be able to clarify when they get off the ship, because what this thread has so far are three diametrically opposed and mutually implausible definitive answers.

Will the correct answer change your mind on parking there. At the end of the day, you just do what they tell you.

We sail from there in October

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And as I had said before when we cruised from there (T1) on Nov 28 for our b2b we were told that they were booting cars that hadn't paid for the entire stay.  A couple of others who were on the same b2b said they were told the same thing.  We were in the lot right adjacent to the full garage which has machines but also there were 2 people manning it.  

2 hours ago, Garmy4 said:

The Mariner returned from an 8 night cruise on June 5th- she was at sea June 3rd

Just now, molly361 said:

There were a LOT of complaints from those off the Mariner June 5th terminal 5 about the long lines to pay as you exit

Let's see just off a luxurious cruise vacation for a week or more, and now they need something else to complain about, i.e. waiting 45 minutes or so to get out of a garage with a thousand or so of their nearest and dearest.  Can't wait for them to get home and start a whoa is me thread here.  

4 minutes ago, BND said:

And as I had said before when we cruised from there (T1) on Nov 28 for our b2b we were told that they were booting cars that hadn't paid for the entire stay.  A couple of others who were on the same b2b said they were told the same thing.  We were in the lot right adjacent to the full garage which has machines but also there were 2 people manning it.  

We parked in the T1 garage on our April B2B, and only paid for the first week. When we parked in the lot for our November B2B we paid for the two  weeks when we exited.

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Will the correct answer change your mind on parking there. At the end of the day, you just do what they tell you.

It would if you were on a B3B in July with us. It is the difference between driving to the port or hiring a car to drive us there and back.

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Glad I have a "guy" driving me to that terminal next month AND August AND October😇