When will Carnival shares be worth buying ?

18 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I might be being overly pessimistic but I wonder, as the share price is so low, whether Carnival might increase the number of shares needed to qualify for OBC fairly soon.

I fear you may be right.  If it becomes too cheap to buy into shareholder perks it shifts the economics of the scheme somewhat. 

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I fear you may be right.  If it becomes too cheap to buy into shareholder perks it shifts the economics of the scheme somewhat. 

Although the actual cost of the obc to Carnival is probably only about 50% of the "face" value, so the financial impact is not as great as it would appear.

Despite the doom and gloom focused on Carnival and its debt pile, I thought this chart was interesting. It shows the three major cruise lines performance for the last months. What you will notice is that they track each other.

Therefore the performance of Carnival's stock price has followed the rest of the market and not followed any particular concern about the group.

image.jpeg.5182eced19db7f6e437459ef53c138e9.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Despite the doom and gloom focused on Carnival and its debt pile, I thought this chart was interesting. It shows the three major cruise lines performance for the last months. What you will notice is that they track each other.

Therefore the performance of Carnival's stock price has followed the rest of the market and not followed any particular concern about the group.

From that graph it does seem that stock markets are a bit like Westminster, when the herd moves, it seems to move in unison!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

It would be a very brave person prepared to invest in any cruise-centred company as things stand, with the number of factors piling up against them worldwide.  It's not that the graph shows Carnival to be any safer than people here have been suggesting - just that the others are every bit as risky an investment.

Admittedly, £700 isn't a lot to risk in the overall scheme of things, and if Carnival stick with the minimum 100 share holding for the OBC you can get some of that back pretty quickly, but there is still a pretty fair chance of losing the lot.

Edited by Harry Peterson
Double quotation of original post

Good morning all , cruising on P@O for first time on this cruise line ( though cruised on many other lines) Iona in September . Will be purchasing drinks package for two . Having thoughts about buying shares , given the drinks pack price will work out at £546 for 1 week .If purchasing shares now would the OBC be eligible for this cruise and how many to buy for this as will plan to use P@O more regular .Many Thanks

14 minutes ago, paularmstrong said:

Good morning all , cruising on P@O for first time on this cruise line ( though cruised on many other lines) Iona in September . Will be purchasing drinks package for two . Having thoughts about buying shares , given the drinks pack price will work out at £546 for 1 week .If purchasing shares now would the OBC be eligible for this cruise and how many to buy for this as will plan to use P@O more regular .Many Thanks

You would need to hold 100 shares. There are varying degree on OBC, 6 days or less £30, 7-13 days £60 and 14 days or more £150. Whoever hold your shares will need to inform P&O of your holding as someone could buy 100 shares, sell them and then tell P&O that they hold 100. Hargreaves Lansdown say they will do it for me. But in order to get the OBC via this method you must have informed them 4 weeks prior to sailing.

57 minutes ago, paularmstrong said:

I had bought 100 shared recently as I thought it was worth the risk as the price is lower than it has been and have a couple of cruises booked, I had to wait 1 month to get a statement from Freetrade who I used to buy them. Emailed the statement to shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com and then a week later had the OBC applied to all cruises I had previously booked up to July 2023. You just need to give them your booking ref, ship and date of sailing.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Whoever hold your shares will need to inform P&O of your holding

That is not the case.

You can inform P&O yourself, supplying proof of ownership. 

Once you have received notification that your obc has been credited to your account, you can, in theory, then sell your shares. 

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That is not the case.

You can inform P&O yourself, supplying proof of ownership. 

Once you have received notification that your obc has been credited to your account, you can, in theory, then sell your shares. 

But it can be and is far simpler than trying to find a statement that would suffice on very many investment companies websites.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But it can be and is far simpler than trying to find a statement that would suffice on very many investment companies websites.

The issue is that many investment companies will not take on the extra workload involved in obtaining obc.

By making the application myself,  I am in control of the entire process, with no middleman involved.

Just now, wowzz said:

The issue is that many investment companies will not take on the extra workload involved in obtaining obc.

By making the application myself,  I am in control of the entire process, with no middleman involved.

My investment company has just upgraded its systems, supposedly to provide a better service to customers, however their statements no longer display my name or any code.

The previous version did, but also contained any other investments in my portfolio requiring lots of editing out.

My previous company which, was taken over by the current one, did enable me to print off a statement, but it was extremely tiny print.

Fortunately both offer(ed) the facility to pass my holding info to Carnival along with the booking data which I gave them, and so far I have had no problems getting the shareholder OBC added to my booking.

17 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I have my 100 shares with Equiniti and when requesting my shareholder benefit just quote my shareholder number, cruise reference and ship etc - dead easy 

Equiniti are CCL's stockbrokers,  which is why the process is easy.

However,  their dealing costs are extremely high compared to online brokers.  But, I guess,  if you are only going to use them the once, the higher cost is offset by the ease of obtaining obc. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al_W said:

I had bought 100 shared recently as I thought it was worth the risk as the price is lower than it has been and have a couple of cruises booked, I had to wait 1 month to get a statement from Freetrade who I used to buy them. Emailed the statement to shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com and then a week later had the OBC applied to all cruises I had previously booked up to July 2023. You just need to give them your booking ref, ship and date of sailing.

Hope that helps.

With Freetrade I used a screenshot of the "Market buy contract note" that I got when I bought the shares. Seemed to do the trick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

My reaction from reading the link,  is that I will not be putting my life savings into CCL !

On the other hand,  I won't be selling my hundred shares either,  as long I continue to cruise on CCL brands.