Drinking water on Eclipse

lovetocruise1953

We are booked on the Feb NZ/OZ cruise for the UK we have All inc.

A family member has just booked from the USA they have booked the No Perk Package, she has told me there is a 'Water' package.....Can you get drinking water on the ship or do you need to buy a package?

Just now, lovetocruise1953 said:

A family member has just booked from the USA they have booked the No Perk Package, she has told me there is a 'Water' package.....Can you get drinking water on the ship or do you need to buy a package?

We have always brought a water bottle and refilled it on board.  The water on board is desalinized purified sea water and excellent to drink.  The water package is for packaged water - in aluminum bottles that I personally do not like as well as Pelligrino and similar water.  There are water bottle filling stations, but I just fill from the tap in my room.

58 minutes ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

If you already have the 'Always Included' then you have the 'Classic' drinks package which incudes the non-premium bottled water.

Drinking water is of course available on the ship for free.     You can ask for it at any restaurant.  Even though I have a Premium Package I often ask our Butler for a pitcher of Ice Water 2x a day.  

Most of the time the water is produced on board and is basically distilled sea water and as pure as distilled water.  I also drink water from the tap.   On occasions the ships take on water from a port and is often Chlorinated and is pretty bad tasting.      I also drink lots of waters under the premium package.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We have always brought a water bottle and refilled it on board.  The water on board is desalinized purified sea water and excellent to drink.  The water package is for packaged water - in aluminum bottles that I personally do not like as well as Pelligrino and similar water.  There are water bottle filling stations, but I just fill from the tap in my room.

YMMV, but unfortunately the ship's water on board is not “excellent” for everyone to drink, especially if one needs to watch their Sodium intake. I discovered this problem many years ago. All crew members are also aware of it.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Curious to har that.   I wonder if there's a test for salinity?

I Googled on it (and we all know everything on the internet is true [sic] )

Citation: https://www.groundwatergovernance.org/what-is-in-cruise-ship-tap-water/

Does Cruise Ship water contain sodium?

All the drinking water on the ships comes from the onboard desalinizing plant and has little or no salt.

I just answered my own question -  You can use a TDS meter to determine level of dissolved solids and salt.  I have one from when I was breading Orchids.   I'll have to bring it with me on the next cruise and see. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

Our resident engineer has explained that the sodium content of the ship’s tap water is very low.

Those who suffer from swollen ankles when they crews are probably getting the sodium from the food. Many of us don’t salt or food very much at home. But the chefs on board use salt liberally.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

YMMV, but unfortunately the ship's water on board is not “excellent” for everyone to drink, especially if one needs to watch their Sodium intake. I discovered this problem many years ago. All crew members are also aware of it.

Water on board ship is tested daily and has almost zero salt.  When it comes from the desalinationator they actually add minerals because it is distilled water.

Jim is correct that food on board is saltier that we have at home along with people adding more salt at the table.

• Like 1

I remember hearing a talk and the water is run through a process very much like reverse osmosis and the mineral count is exceedingly low, which may contribute to some folks not liking the taste.  We drink the tap water and use refillable bottles when we cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

The premium water package is over £15 per person per day, seems a lot for water. If you are a family group people can pick up bottles of water from bars as part of the drink packages!!

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Our resident engineer has explained that the sodium content of the ship’s tap water is very low.

Those who suffer from swollen ankles when they crews are probably getting the sodium from the food. Many of us don’t salt or food very much at home. But the chefs on board use salt liberally.

Yes, the food is saltier than I prepare at home but I haven’t stopped eating the food on board and I don’t use salt at the table. I do drink specific bands of bottled water and I haven’t had a problem with any swelling in almost 20 years.