Canada Sailings on Cunard: ArriveCAN

njguy_south

Not that it is Cunard's problem that all visitors to Canada by cruise ship (even for a port stop) and other travel means, must complete the Canadian Government's ArriveCAN within 72 hours of arrival.  I called the ArriveCAN help number, and the agent did verify that this is true; my cruise is r/t NYC on July 1 with a port stop in Halifax. If the ArriveCAN application is not completed WITHIN the 72 hour window, the passenger will be arrested and placed into quarantine.

I was surprised that the Cunard website -- and even when I was completing all of the Check-In information online -- said absolutely nothing about this.  Know that Disney Cruise Line, Princess, Seabourne, etc., ALL tell passengers this on their websites.  Cunard does not.

I called Cunard and spoke to a very helpful and knowledgeable staff member. She apologized for it not being on their website nor in any of the forms I completed online. She stated that passengers will be told this information WHEN ONBOARD and within the 72 hours of arriving in Canada. We will need to complete it when we are onboard, with the fantastic Cunard wifi. (I am just hoping and praying the wifi works for ALL of the passengers and crew who must upload this information, including passport information and photos of our vaccination cards; otherwise, a lot of people will be arrested and quarantined!!!)

• Like 1

Please don't take my word for it, but you might be able to submit your ArriveCAN information within 72 hours of boarding the ship in New York, not necessarily 72 hours before the ship arrives in Canada.

Quoting from this "Entering or leaving Canada by cruise ship during COVID-19" page:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

"Use ArriveCAN to enter your information, including proof of vaccination, within 72 hours before embarkation of your cruise."

• Like 1

How times change!  

Some years ago we did a 23 day TA to New York (2 days), New England, Canada and return on QV.   Clearing immigration at New York on day 1 was purgatory  -  very regimented, deck by deck, every single soul had to get off the ship even if not entering the city, a 90 minute queue and at the end of this you inevitably feel like a criminal, including having fingerprints scanned.

Further up the coast at our first stop in Canada I was stopped very briefly and very politely by an immigration officer who had noticed that my shoelace had come un-tied.  

• Like 1

I've found it helpful to download the app in advance and fill out what you can to set up the account. Then you only need to add a the details for your trip at the 72 hr point. 

I found it easier to set up the account by computer first and then use the app for travel. Perhaps an OS issue on my end, who knows. I also printed out our QR codes as backup. JIC. I've done land travel to CA twice recently and it was easy peasy.

1 hour ago, njguy_south said:

Not being in UK, didn’t see that. The US sites main COVID precaution page says NOTHING

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/at-the-terminal#brooklyn

One should bot have to hunt for the REQUIRED and VITAL information.

Agreed the information about ArriveCAN could be more prominent and it would be helpful to see it somewhere in My Cunard.

To be fair though, the main US website's "Preparing to sail - before you board" page (at https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/before-you-board) does contain the link to the Passenger locator form page with the ArriveCAN information in a couple places.

The first place is in the "Pre-cruise checklist".

• For guests visiting Belgium, Germany or Canada, complete a Passenger locator form (visit our webpage for guidance on where and how to do this)

The second place is in the "Essential documentation" section.

Passenger locator forms.

Some countries currently require additional documentation for anyone traveling to, from or through cruise ports.

Currently, these forms are required for guests traveling to, from or through Belgium, Germany or Canada.

For guidance on where and how to fill out these forms, please visit our webpage.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Please don't take my word for it, but you might be able to submit your ArriveCAN information within 72 hours of boarding the ship in New York, not necessarily 72 hours before the ship arrives in Canada.

It looks that way to me as well. For the 14 June round-trip cruise from Vancouver I was able to enter the departure information, it being three days in advance (actually several hours more than 72 hours) and the arrival information could be entered for any date up to early July.

I agree that Cunard should make this information more prominent. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MJC said:

I've found it helpful to download the app in advance and fill out what you can to set up the account. Then you only need to add a the details for your trip at the 72 hr point. 

I found it easier to set up the account by computer first and then use the app for travel. Perhaps an OS issue on my end, who knows. I also printed out our QR codes as backup. JIC. I've done land travel to CA twice recently and it was easy peasy.

Yes - the ArriveCan site now allows you to create a profile for each passenger, so the cumbersome tasks like uploading your proof of vaccination, entering passport numbers, etc., can be done in advance.

Edited by TouchstoneFeste

We received our online check-in email from Cunard for our Alaska cruise and it has a prominent section about ArriveCan.  It also has a link to the Cunard website passenger locator form page about ArriveCan.

• Like 1

We are flying into Vancouver then sailing to Alaska before returning to Canada (Victoria is our first stop) so we have to do 2 ArriveCan entries. The first before flying out to Vancouver, then a second to board the ship. I've set up the account on the app and will do the second one in our overnight hotel. My understanding is that the app retains all the relevant personal data (passport, vax info) so it's just the trip details that need inputting. You can also use the app for more than 1 person. 

• Like 1

From the amazing and informative Cunard website:

Joining your ship outside Canada (and destined to a Canadian port).

• If your cruise includes a Canadian port, you will need to complete an ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours prior to embarkation.
  • Once complete, you will receive a cruise-specific QR code to present at the terminal.

I'm glad you found it. From others' posts it looks as if Cunard is reminding people when they send the email that online check in is open so hopefully nobody will be caught out even if they miss it on the website.

5 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

We are flying into Vancouver then sailing to Alaska before returning to Canada (Victoria is our first stop) so we have to do 2 ArriveCan entries. The first before flying out to Vancouver, then a second to board the ship. I've set up the account on the app and will do the second one in our overnight hotel. My understanding is that the app retains all the relevant personal data (passport, vax info) so it's just the trip details that need inputting. You can also use the app for more than 1 person. 

Yes it does retain the information if the travellers.

we arrived in Vancouver Friday 10th and did one then yesterday I did another one for boarding QE on Tuesday.All our personal information was there still.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

Yes, that's how it works. I did the info for my flight to Vancouver last night, and it was easy. It's definitely worth it to do the set-up process early. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craigrlewis said:

Yes it does retain the information if the travellers.

we arrived in Vancouver Friday 10th and did one then yesterday I did another one for boarding QE on Tuesday.All our personal information was there still.

can I ask what info you put in the boarding one - cabin number, ship's name, port address and date of next entry into Canada? Someone on a QE FB page was asking about it. 

Have a fabulous time those who board on Tuesday. 

21 hours ago, Chunky2219 said:

How times change!  

Some years ago we did a 23 day TA to New York (2 days), New England, Canada and return on QV.   Clearing immigration at New York on day 1 was purgatory  -  very regimented, deck by deck, every single soul had to get off the ship even if not entering the city, a 90 minute queue and at the end of this you inevitably feel like a criminal, including having fingerprints scanned.

Further up the coast at our first stop in Canada I was stopped very briefly and very politely by an immigration officer who had noticed that my shoelace had come un-tied.  

"Change"?  Is the US regime any different now?

15 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

can I ask what info you put in the boarding one - cabin number, ship's name, port address and date of next entry into Canada? Someone on a QE FB page was asking about it. 

Have a fabulous time those who board on Tuesday. 

None of the regular cruisers have answered, and I've only done land crossings into Canada, but here's what I know.

Your profile, which you can set up anytime, includes: basic ID information (name, address, etc.), passport (or Nexus) number, vaccine types and dates, and a photograph or PDF of vaccine evidence. Be careful on the last of these items. For an entry last year (before they introduced permanent profiles) I accidentally uploaded an email confirmation of vaccination rather than images of our actual US vax cards, and this caused delays and a "random" test at the border.

When I first started using ArriveCan (we go to Canada a half dozen times a year) I did a dummy entry ahead of time to figure out what the process would be - similar to a trial booking on a ship to find out what cabins are available - then bailed out before I did the final "submit". I'm sure  you could do the same for a cruise ship entry.

For each entry into Canada, you enter: date and time of entry*; port of entry; address you'll be staying at in Canada. I imagine the ship's name would be sufficient? certainly we've never entered a hotel room number. You'll also be asked a few questions about your current state of health - "Any COVID symptoms?", etc.

* They won't allow you to enter a date further away than 72 hours. For time of entry I've just made my best guess.

I'm not sure if they do "random" testing for ship entries, but if they do: the process is VERY cumbersome and they will phone you relentlessly afterwards to confirm you have completed it. Even after the results have been delivered.

I use scare quotes around the word "random" because my wife has been "randomly" tested on three of our last four entries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

None of the regular cruisers have answered, and I've only done land crossings into Canada, but here's what I know.

Your profile, which you can set up anytime, includes: basic ID information (name, address, etc.), passport (or Nexus) number, vaccine types and dates, and a photograph or PDF of vaccine evidence. Be careful on the last of these items. For an entry last year (before they introduced permanent profiles) I accidentally uploaded an email confirmation of vaccination rather than images of our actual US vax cards, and this caused delays and a "random" test at the border.

When I first started using ArriveCan (we go to Canada a half dozen times a year) I did a dummy entry ahead of time to figure out what the process would be - similar to a trial booking on a ship to find out what cabins are available - then bailed out before I did the final "submit". I'm sure  you could do the same for a cruise ship entry.

For each entry into Canada, you enter: date and time of entry*; port of entry; address you'll be staying at in Canada. I imagine the ship's name would be sufficient? certainly we've never entered a hotel room number. You'll also be asked a few questions about your current state of health - "Any COVID symptoms?", etc.

* They won't allow you to enter a date further away than 72 hours. For time of entry I've just made my best guess.

I'm not sure if they do "random" testing for ship entries, but if they do: the process is VERY cumbersome and they will phone you relentlessly afterwards to confirm you have completed it. Even after the results have been delivered.

I use scare quotes around the word "random" because my wife has been "randomly" tested on three of our last four entries.

thanks so much. I've found out a bit more since I asked the question and it looks like we put the ship's name, port of Vancouver, and the date we first re-enter Canada and where. It looks like you can complete it even if that re-entry is more than 72 hours hence, because you're on a cruise. The date of embarkation will be less than 72 hours. 

I understand random testing is currently paused for flights so hopefully it's not an issue for ships - I've not heard anyone mention that. 

I have a PDF with the official NHS covid vax proof which I've uploaded. Everything is set for next month when we fly. Thanks again

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 1

Yes, random testing is being paused until sometime in July for arrivals into Canada by air.  Testing prior to embarkation on a cruise and completion of ArriveCan prior to embarkation is still a requirement and there is no sign that will end anytime soon.  

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 1:07 PM, njguy_south said:

Not that it is Cunard's problem that all visitors to Canada by cruise ship (even for a port stop) and other travel means, must complete the Canadian Government's ArriveCAN within 72 hours of arrival.  I called the ArriveCAN help number, and the agent did verify that this is true; my cruise is r/t NYC on July 1 with a port stop in Halifax. If the ArriveCAN application is not completed WITHIN the 72 hour window, the passenger will be arrested and placed into quarantine.

I was surprised that the Cunard website -- and even when I was completing all of the Check-In information online -- said absolutely nothing about this.  Know that Disney Cruise Line, Princess, Seabourne, etc., ALL tell passengers this on their websites.  Cunard does not.

I called Cunard and spoke to a very helpful and knowledgeable staff member. She apologized for it not being on their website nor in any of the forms I completed online. She stated that passengers will be told this information WHEN ONBOARD and within the 72 hours of arriving in Canada. We will need to complete it when we are onboard, with the fantastic Cunard wifi. (I am just hoping and praying the wifi works for ALL of the passengers and crew who must upload this information, including passport information and photos of our vaccination cards; otherwise, a lot of people will be arrested and quarantined!!!)

What a crock!  No one is 'arrested' and quarantined.  You could possibly be denied entry into Canada or ASKED to quarantine if you cannot/will not complete the ArriveCan but Canada does not arrest you.  

Just climbed on QE today

Take care the arrivacan needs to be Date you arrive at first port in Canada (so for Q219) it was Victoria 

99% of people had filled in the date arriving back in Vancouver

chaos doesn’t describe how he scenes at check in

• Like 2