RCCL Signs with Starlink For Wifi. What about NCLH??

Aloha 1

RCCL has applied to the FCC for licensing Elon Musk's Starlink Satellite wifi system for all their ships. Given the sorry state of wi-fi on Regent, this would seem to be a no brainer for FDR to consider. Anyone with input?

Regent has the hardware in place on all the ships for 4 times the current bandwidth. Apparently it was decided it wasn't worth it to pay for more speed. I think they floated a trial balloon with the "premium" wifi even though that doesn't increase your speed - but it does push your packet requests to the front of the line.

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Regent has the hardware in place on all the ships for 4 times the current bandwidth. Apparently it was decided it wasn't worth it to pay for more speed.

I believe Starlink will be able to provide much improved speed for a more modest price.  I currently use Starlink at home and it's been a godsend for those of us with no other options for high-speed internet.  They have begun launching their newer satellites that support laser intersatallite communication.  This will allow them to relay internet signals from the middle of the ocean to land.

17 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I believe Starlink will be able to provide much improved speed for a more modest price.  I currently use Starlink at home and it's been a godsend for those of us with no other options for high-speed internet.  They have begun launching their newer satellites that support laser intersatallite communication.  This will allow them to relay internet signals from the middle of the ocean to land.

Same here - I agree completely.

Well, if Regent didn't want to lay out any capital to remedy their substandard internet before the pandemic, I feel pretty safe in saying that they won't spend any money on it post-pandemic, at least until they start getting right financially.  This has been a sore spot with me and many other cruisers for years (and we've been pretty vocal about it) and nothing ever got done.  I'm sure it's still just as low on the priority list as it's ever been.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Well, if Regent didn't want to lay out any capital to remedy their substandard internet before the pandemic, I feel pretty safe in saying that they won't spend any money on it post-pandemic, at least until they start getting right financially.  This has been a sore spot with me and many other cruisers for years (and we've been pretty vocal about it) and nothing ever got done.  I'm sure it's still just as low on the priority list as it's ever been.

It doesn't require capital...the hardware is in place. They just need to sign a contract for more bandwidth and it can be 4 times as fast with existing equipment.

8 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

It doesn't require capital...the hardware is in place. They just need to sign a contract for more bandwidth and it can be 4 times as fast with existing equipment.

Well, I'm sure the contract is more expensive, so I'm not gonna hold my breath either way...

I've had my eye on Starlink firmly for my rural summer home in Canada, but they have been having many teething problems, and have a long way to go in terms of customer support.  If I were Regent I'd want to see how this plays out with RCCL for a while.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The wifi makes no sense, but they get away with it.  We get up fairly early that's the best time, seadays fagettaboutit.  While we're at it how about buying some decent coffee, also makes no sense.  Cant get a good cup of joe.

Can DEFINITELY get a good cup-o-Joe at Coffee Connection...but the same should also be available in the restaurants EXCEPT that they have to make large quantities at a time so it's available for servers to pour/refill at your table.  Holding it 'at temperature' seems to make it bitter.

11 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Can DEFINITELY get a good cup-o-Joe at Coffee Connection...but the same should also be available in the restaurants EXCEPT that they have to make large quantities at a time so it's available for servers to pour/refill at your table.  Holding it 'at temperature' seems to make it bitter.

True Coffee Connection has very good coffees.  Our room service breakfast was great coffee ok better than last time.  Coffee & wifi quality are sort of big issues with the general population these days.

They don't have k cups makers in rooms correct?  That would fit it for us we could just bring our own Peets.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've had my eye on Starlink firmly for my rural summer home in Canada, but they have been having many teething problems, and have a long way to go in terms of customer support.  If I were Regent I'd want to see how this plays out with RCCL for a while.

True, Starlink's customer service stinks! However, for those of us in rural areas where there are no other options for high-speed internet, Starlink is a godsend.  If you're struggling with really slow internet, you might consider signing up for Starlink (in many areas there is a waiting list).

Regent does many things well, but the internet isn't one of them.  Recent cruise to Alaska had the same kind of problems that have plagued Regent's ships for years.  Extremely slow speeds, intermittent connections at times.  

Remember the days when Regent advertised for a long time that they had fiber-optic speeds? I would love to sit in on management's discussions of the internet and hear how the ongoing deficiencies fit in with their "luxury" image and why they refuse to fix it (and why they advertised fiber optic speeds for such a long time).  

Interesting, also, that there are no questions on the cruise surveys about the internet quality, so it just appears that top management has a blind spot about the value of the internet to guests.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:33 AM, asnaleah said:

Has anyone tried the for-a-fee internet upgrade? I think it’s $10/day. If I were still working and needed the internet for remote work, that might be an option.

Nope, not worth it.  Doesn't even give you better speed, just prioritizes your requests.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:30 AM, captjohn said:

HI and hope your feeling better. We are onboard with you. I would not do it, the speed is no faster it only allows you to stream. We are streaming music but video no.

Even music streaming is spotty, video is out of the question.  

Not really a luxury experience when you need to wander around ports looking for hotspots to check in at work...it's been a sore spot with me for the last 10 years.

• Like 1