Help! Question: Risk-Free Guarantee - Temporary Cancellation Policy

SailorPaulH

Please some VOC veteran help me with this question. I am having hard time getting through to call numbers and Live Chat.

We have a medical situation come up that may - but hopefully may not - require us to cancel a July 2 - 18 VOC cruise. Either way, we don't have much time to decide. 

First flight = June 30, Last flight = July 20 (deviations done through Viking Air Plus). This cancelation would be of a cruise booked through a voucher that came from our original July 2021 cruise that was canceled by Viking due to Covid-19. When we rescheduled we received the 'Risk-Free Guarantee - Temporary Cancelation Policy'.

Looking at this , it appears we must cancel at least 14 days prior to the date of flight departure (for flights arranged by Viking) and then we will get a Voucher for 100% actual monies paid to be applied to a future cruise to be booked within 24 months. Am I right?

If I am understanding this correctly I have until June 15 to cancel and make this happen?

Additional note: We do have Viking TripMate coverage also.   

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

Please some VOC veteran help me with this question. I am having hard time getting through to call numbers and Live Chat.

We have a medical situation come up that may - but hopefully may not - require us to cancel a July 2 - 18 VOC cruise. Either way, we don't have much time to decide. 

First flight = June 30, Last flight = July 20 (deviations done through Viking Air Plus). This cancelation would be of a cruise booked through a voucher that came from our original July 2021 cruise that was canceled by Viking due to Covid-19. When we rescheduled we received the 'Risk-Free Guarantee - Temporary Cancelation Policy'.

Looking at this , it appears we must cancel at least 14 days prior to the date of flight departure (for flights arranged by Viking) and then we will get a Voucher for 100% actual monies paid to be applied to a future cruise to be booked within 24 months. Am I right?

If I am understanding this correctly I have until June 15 to cancel and make this happen?

That would be my understanding.

However, please do not make your decision based on CruiseCritic people's responses.

It is also my understanding that you need to notify Viking (or have your Travel Agent do so) in writing by the required date.  I would read the fine print of the Risk-Free Guarantee process carefully.

Please continue to try to get hold of Viking via phone and chat.  They are swamped right now since they just announced the cessation of daily COVID testing and people are rushing to book.

You might also send an urgent email letter about your intent and how you can't reaching anyone at Viking via phone to:  tellus@VikingCruises.com

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

Sorry to hear about the issue.

You are describing a complex situation that involves vouchers, possible cash payments, the RFG and a TripMate policy. I'd recommend that you rely on Viking and the TripMate underwriter - not any of us on these boards.

If you're having a hard time getting to Viking, try tellus@viking.com. If it were me, I'd be calling the underwriter claim number as well. Best of luck. 🍺🥌 

Edited by CurlerRob
typo
  • Like 2

Thanks all for input - I finally got through to Viking. I can indeed use the value of my cruise as a future voucher (my particular RFG guarantee indicates it must be a cruise before end of 2022) and I have a few more days to make that decision (and find an alternate cruise). I guess I can still book the one we really wanted to go on for 2024 - then it will 5+ years of waiting for that one! 😜

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

Thanks all for input - I finally got through to Viking. I can indeed use the value of my cruise as a future voucher (my particular RFG guarantee indicates it must be a cruise before end of 2022) and I have a few more days to make that decision (and find an alternate cruise). I guess I can still book the one we really wanted to go on for 2024 - then it will 5+ years of waiting for that one! 😜

Good for you.  A thought here however.  It seems you have 2 cancellation options if you want a voucher for a future cruise: 1) the 14 day risk free guarantee and 2) the 24 hour cancel for any reason clause that Viking offers in conjunction with the Trip Mate policy.

Hope your health issues successfully resolve.

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Good for you.  A thought here however.  It seems you have 2 cancellation options if you want a voucher for a future cruise: 1) the 14 day risk free guarantee and 2) the 24 hour cancel for any reason clause that Viking offers in conjunction with the Trip Mate policy.

Hope your health issues successfully resolve.

Thank you Tayana - I indeed have option 2 via insurance and that would be a reimbursement of appropriate $$$, I believe? I wasn't able to get through to insurance company yet - I don't even know what the deadline is for that (24 hours before first flight??).

Thanks for the help all - this is first time I have been in all of a sudden potential cancellation situation. Lower back nerve impingement (we think) is no joke.

2 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

Thank you Tayana - I indeed have option 2 via insurance and that would be a reimbursement of appropriate $$$, I believe? I wasn't able to get through to insurance company yet - I don't even know what the deadline is for that (24 hours before first flight??).

Thanks for the help all - this is first time I have been in all of a sudden potential cancellation situation. Lower back nerve impingement (we think) is no joke.

The Trip Mate insurance is two-fold.  The insurance company reimbursed you for covered cancellation reasons one of them being illness preventing you from traveling among many other things.  You must provide whatever documentation they require within their stated time frame.  This is the only way you can get up to a 100% cash refund.  However it will be minus the cost of the insurance.

The 14 Day Risk Free Guarantee or the clause in the Trip Mate policy of cancel for any reason up to 24 hours prior to the cruise are Viking coverages.  You will only receive a voucher for another cruise not a cash refund.  It would be either 14 days or 24 hours before your first Viking event - whether it is a Viking Air flight or boarding the ship.

You should have this policy and read it.  I am not a lawyer and understand it.  However I have never used it.  If you don't know where it is just go on MVJ to request a Guest Invoice.  A summary of the Trip Mate coverages will be in one of the 4 or 5 attachments in that email.

Good luck.  It's stressful.  And I feel your back pain.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

The Trip Mate insurance is two-fold.  The insurance company reimbursed you for covered cancellation reasons one of them being illness preventing you from traveling among many other things.  You must provide whatever documentation they require within their stated time frame.  This is the only way you can get up to a 100% cash refund.  However it will be minus the cost of the insurance.

The 14 Day Risk Free Guarantee or the clause in the Trip Mate policy of cancel for any reason up to 24 hours prior to the cruise are Viking coverages.  You will only receive a voucher for another cruise not a cash refund.  It would be either 14 days or 24 hours before your first Viking event - whether it is a Viking Air flight or boarding the ship.

You should have this policy and read it.  I am not a lawyer and understand it.  However I have never used it.  If you don't know where it is just go on MVJ to request a Guest Invoice.  A summary of the Trip Mate coverages will be in one of the 4 or 5 attachments in that email.

Good luck.  It's stressful.  And I feel your back pain.

Tayana thank you. It took a while but I got through to insurance company. That's likely our best route - less hectic for decision making, and better than the constraint of using a voucher on a cruise by the end of 2022 that we may not be able to go on anyway (or even want to go on). That way there might even be a shot at going on our cruise in 2023 or 2024. If we are lucky, we can still go in a couple of weeks - doc appointment tomorrow 😜. I am blessed to only have such problems as just a messed up trip .....

21 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Tayana thank you. It took a while but I got through to insurance company. That's likely our best route - less hectic for decision making, and better than the constraint of using a voucher on a cruise by the end of 2022 that we may not be able to go on anyway (or even want to go on). That way there might even be a shot at going on our cruise in 2023 or 2024. If we are lucky, we can still go in a couple of weeks - doc appointment tomorrow 😜. I am blessed to only have such problems as just a messed up trip .....

SailorPaul I see you are from NJ.  We lived in Red Bank for 18 years.  Had a sailboat on Toms River/Barnegat Bay for years.  Then had one at Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club before we sailed it to PR.  Are you a sailor?

28 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

SailorPaul I see you are from NJ.  We lived in Red Bank for 18 years.  Had a sailboat on Toms River/Barnegat Bay for years.  Then had one at Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club before we sailed it to PR.  Are you a sailor?

A long, long time ago when I lived in my original home country in Wales I did some sailing.

But now, I can only put a claim on that if or when I get on Viking Jupiter next month, LOL.

P.S. Red Bank is a nice town - eclectic, nice restaurants, etc. I am near Toms River.

Edited by SailorPaulH
more info
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

A long, long time ago when I lived in my original home country in Wales I did some sailing.

But now, I can only put a claim on that if or when I get on Viking Jupiter next month, LOL.

P.S. Red Bank is a nice town - eclectic, nice restaurants, etc. I am near Toms River.

Where in Wales?  My family is from Port Talbot and Cefn Cribw (near Bridgend).

59 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

Where in Wales?  My family is from Port Talbot and Cefn Cribw (near Bridgend).

Cardiff. I used to do a lot of hiking in my college days in the Ogmore-by-Sea and Southerndown areas (only a few miles from Bridgend). 

• Like 1

One thing that does not seem to be explicitly stated in the Risk Free policy is Tripmate.  They say the voucher covers all money paid to Viking.  Am I right to assume that includes Tripmate and that you can/will use the voucher to also pay for Tripmate on the subsequent travel?

I also assume that if Viking raises fares you are on the hook for that.

7 minutes ago, zalusky said:

One thing that does not seem to be explicitly stated in the Risk Free policy is Tripmate.  They say the voucher covers all money paid to Viking.  Am I right to assume that includes Tripmate and that you can/will use the voucher to also pay for Tripmate on the subsequent travel?

When you recover the money through Tripmate - the cost of the premium is deducted.

As for fare increases: c'est la vie. 

I still think there is about a 30% chance we won't have to cancel. Will know for sure in about 10-12 days. 🤞

12 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

When you recover the money through Tripmate - the cost of the premium is deducted.

As for fare increases: c'est la vie. 

I still think there is about a 30% chance we won't have to cancel. Will know for sure in about 10-12 days. 🤞

I understand if you make a Tripmate claim you lose the premium.  However I was referring to the Risk Free route where you get vouchers and that the vouchers should include the Tripmate premiums.

10 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I understand if you make a Tripmate claim you lose the premium.  However I was referring to the Risk Free route where you get vouchers and that the vouchers should include the Tripmate premiums.

I was told by Viking the voucher RF route would re-voucher the full 125% voucher amount, but only for use until end-2022 (we decided not to go that way if we do have to cancel). So yes it would include the original premium. It's reasonable if you have a back-up cruise plan at short notice and the time set aside but we don't.

Edited by SailorPaulH

8 hours ago, zalusky said:

Affirmative, if you cancel using the RFG, you receive a voucher for all monies paid to Viking, including the Tripmate Insurance premium. Note - this is per all our RFG's, but may have changed lately.

When booking a new cruise with vouchers, you cannot use the vouchers for the Tripmate Insurance. We had to pay that premium with cash.

21 hours ago, zalusky said:

Viking is not giving you a voucher for a specific itinerary. The voucher is only giving your money back, the money that you paid into the transaction.  If you got a boat-load of discounts and OBC, they are gone. If the itinerary include free airfare, that is gone as well. You only get back what came out of your pocket. That is all is that are required to do by law: to make you whole.

Hi all,

I just spoke with 2 different Viking agents and a TripMate agent as well. We were issued vouchers from Viking when they canceled our Ocean cruise over a year ago.. We rebooked for this September and are excited that it will be here soon!!!!

. However, in talking to both Viking and TripMate, if we canceled within 14 days before our cruise, we lose EVERYTHING. No reissue of vouchers.  It is in the RFG for Viking. And...Tripmate doesn't honor vouchers, so according to them, we are out of luck!!! No monetary reimbursement, not even our original monies paid for the cruise.....and the TripMate agent said that goes for trip interruption, etc. No coverage because Viking issued vouchers.  We feel we have no recourse at all. TripMate is now worthless for coverage within that 14 days of our cruise if we have to cancel. What a mess and Viking pockets the money if we have a serious reason to cancel that is beyond our control within that 14 days.

Granted, you will get vouchers to use in the next 2 years if you cancel BEFORE that 14 days.......

So much for trip insurance.....I pray no one ever ends up in that situation.

And yes, it was in the fine print but during all that mess with the pandemic, canceling us, and rebooking, it was a big oversight on our part. Sigh....

Good luck and I pray you get to take your cruise!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Topflitemolitor2 said:

Hi all,

I just spoke with 2 different Viking agents and a TripMate agent as well. We were issued vouchers from Viking when they canceled our Ocean cruise over a year ago.. We rebooked for this September and are excited that it will be here soon!!!!

. However, in talking to both Viking and TripMate, if we canceled within 14 days before our cruise, we lose EVERYTHING. No reissue of vouchers.  It is in the RFG for Viking. And...Tripmate doesn't honor vouchers, so according to them, we are out of luck!!! No monetary reimbursement, not even our original monies paid for the cruise.....and the TripMate agent said that goes for trip interruption, etc. No coverage because Viking issued vouchers.  We feel we have no recourse at all. TripMate is now worthless for coverage within that 14 days of our cruise if we have to cancel. What a mess and Viking pockets the money if we have a serious reason to cancel that is beyond our control within that 14 days.

Granted, you will get vouchers to use in the next 2 years if you cancel BEFORE that 14 days.......

So much for trip insurance.....I pray no one ever ends up in that situation.

And yes, it was in the fine print but during all that mess with the pandemic, canceling us, and rebooking, it was a big oversight on our part. Sigh....

Good luck and I pray you get to take your cruise!!!!!

You are correct. I spoke last night with a more knowledgeable agent and we decided instead to cancel under the RFG and take the vouchers - only recourse. We will look for an alternate in 2022 as that is how the main voucher can be used. A smaller one from money spent on add-ons we can use for beyond 2022.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

You are correct. I spoke last night with a more knowledgeable agent and we decided instead to cancel under the RFG and take the vouchers - only recourse. We will look for an alternate in 2022 as that is how the main voucher can be used. A smaller one from money spent on add-ons we can use for beyond 2022.

I always look on the bright side - now I get to go on 2 cruises - the one I want (in 2024 probably) and something unexpected this year (now to do some research).