Venice (airport) to Ravenna transfer

kent4489

3 hours ago, Norn Iron Man said:

Im travelling on a cruise next April which was due to sail from Venice on the Saturday arriving in Ravenna on the Sunday. Now that Azamara are sailing from Ravenna on their first day do the wise Azamara regulars think Azamara will add in a new port or a sea day?

That's what they did for my Oct. 6 2022 Journey cruise.  For this cruise, they added Pula.  For others, I have read that they added Opatija.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would love to know how this ended up for you. We are arriving Venice airport one day before our cruise 17 August and are booked into a hotel near airport .We did this because we were initially told by our T.A. that we could go back to airport for bus transport to Ravenna. Now however this has changed and we are being told we will have to get to Tronchetta bus terminal .

Has anyone done this and if so what transport did you use to get to bus terminal ?

2 hours ago, Hamwen3839 said:

Would love to know how this ended up for you. We are arriving Venice airport one day before our cruise 17 August and are booked into a hotel near airport .We did this because we were initially told by our T.A. that we could go back to airport for bus transport to Ravenna. Now however this has changed and we are being told we will have to get to Tronchetta bus terminal .

Has anyone done this and if so what transport did you use to get to bus terminal ?

Thats just silly that they wouldn’t start at the airport also!  I think there may be a regular buss from the bus terminal though.  

I was on Oceania in May and we couldn’t get them to come anywhere but the airport!   It had some bumps and stuff, like not being able to put all the luggage for their current passengers.  It turns out there is a fine for having most carry on luggage inside the bus!  

Hang in there, I thing they are still testing the processes.  And, I can’t believe there is enough space to load buses at a bus terminal, but who knows!  

There were several people who hired vans to take them as they wanted to leave from Piazzale Roma.  Yes, it still cost them more than a free bus but they had hoped they might be able to get the driver to show them part of the town or at least let them drop off luggage and then get drppped off in town.  I don’t know how it worked out but it’s an option.  for what it is worth we spent a lot of time waiting to get on the busses and then waiting for loading of baggage and passengers so there is some merit to hiring a car if you can form a group.  That’s what cruise critics boards do well! 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:10 PM, Hamwen3839 said:

We are on the same cruise and are flying in the day prior as well.  I booked a hotel near the Tronchetta stop and we will be taking the express bus ATVO from the airport to the hotel.  I pre-purchased our bus tickets (airport to Piazzale Roma) so I have less to worry about the day we arrive.  The website for the airport bus is https://www.atvo.it/en-venice-airport.html  We are going to explore Venice the day our flight arrives and the next day will be able to walk to the cruise shuttle bus stop from our hotel.  I've attached the letter we received from Azamara .image.thumb.png.febae65bad568c55594ba21d0eb7faaf.png

Edited by CoG72crewz

37 minutes ago, CoG72crewz said:

We are on the same cruise and are flying in the day prior as well.  I booked a hotel near the Tronchetta stop and we will be taking the express bus ATVO from the airport to the hotel.  I pre-purchased our bus tickets (airport to Piazzale Roma) so I have less to worry about the day we arrive.  The website for the airport bus is https://www.atvo.it/en-venice-airport.html  We are going to explore Venice the day our flight arrives and the next day will be able to walk to the cruise shuttle bus stop from our hotel.  I've attached the letter we received from Azamara .image.thumb.png.febae65bad568c55594ba21d0eb7faaf.png

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

We're flying in to Venice Marco Polo airport on the day of Onwards departure in October and apparently will be transported to Ravenna. The timescale seems tight but presumably Azamara will cope. 

did this last month, was connecting from Edinburgh via Paris. Paris flight delayed. 5 of us taken in a people carrier rather than a coach, ship was due to sail at 6pm...we got there about 10 past and were rushed through last to board (booked as package)

Ouch. Transit in Amsterdam is chaos just now. I hope it works for everyone especially as some ports won’t allow day 2 embarkation. Hopefully they look at your flight options again just before you go 

On 7/7/2022 at 5:46 PM, Scots Caz said:

did this last month, was connecting from Edinburgh via Paris. Paris flight delayed. 5 of us taken in a people carrier rather than a coach, ship was due to sail at 6pm...we got there about 10 past and were rushed through last to board (booked as package)

we did an connection in Paris, I didn’t have a choice as the tickets were from a cancelled trip.  For some reason security decided to check my entire carry on.  I think he counted the straws, opened the collapsing straw.  Opened really strange items like tour maps!  What made the whole thing really odd was my hubby had the medical bag complete with 3 lithium ion batteries and a raft of other things that X-ray poorly.  They never opened that bag, which was a first!  We’d already landed too late to make our connection so what he was mostly doing was holding up others behind me as he was the only one searching.  

I was in a wheelchair and the skycap told me our bags were too heavy and should have been checked. I told him it was illegal to check lithium ion batteries and he said that the US carryon rules were different than Paris.  I told him the rule about the batteries was international!  He then asked me about precheck!  I never figured out what that was about even with precheck if they wonder about the batteries they check them!  

Did I mention I hate the Paris airport?  It had changed so we had the extra security which I didn’t mind but I’d preferred it had made more sense!  They took so long the skycap was notified it was taking him too long!   In Nice when I asked what they thought they had seen I was allowed to point out they had just missed it, I’d forgotten.  Turned out that wasn’t the blob they were seeing, it was a glasses case I didn’t realize was metal.  No big deal, they checked it and carried my bag to a repack table and offered to help me repack!  Super impressed.  

I checked out why we can't fly to Bologna as it's the nearest airport to Ravenna. Turns out that all the potential connecting flights from Edinburgh would get in after the ship has sailed. Will just have to hope for the best with flight to Venice and transport to the ship. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I checked out why we can't fly to Bologna as it's the nearest airport to Ravenna. Turns out that all the potential connecting flights from Edinburgh would get in after the ship has sailed. Will just have to hope for the best with flight to Venice and transport to the ship. 

Any chance they’d let you go the day before if you cover the hotel costs?  If I could go then, I’d be pushing for that.  Unfortunately you have to transit passport control and security most of the time in either AMS or CDG. How longs your connection- even pre Covid our work instructions were 3 hour minimum on the way out, 2 on the way back. I think they’d had to pay too many hotel nights for us! 

We've got 3 hours plus in Amsterdam. Flight arrives in Venice 4 1/2 hours before ship sails.  Will just have to hope for the best. I tried phoning Azamara but reckon I'd be waiting for an answer until October! Staffing shortage in their call centre?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

We've got 3 hours plus in Amsterdam. Flight arrives in Venice 4 1/2 hours before ship sails.  Will just have to hope for the best. I tried phoning Azamara but reckon I'd be waiting for an answer until October! Staffing shortage in their call centre?

I did a 60 minute transit in Amsterdam in May (Edinburgh to Rome)...was a chaotic weekend and KLM were offering rebooking with warnings it was going to be mega busy

I packed enough in my hand luggage to last till day 4 (next flight would not have got bag to ship on time then sea day then small port..)

Passport control was queued down the terminal but they called those with imminent flights forward at 5 minute intervals (I got there when they were calling 09:30 flights and was told to wait in queue till they called 09:35 flights)

Amazingly both me and bag arrived!...not a good experience for blood pressure though.

1 minute ago, Scots Caz said:

I did a 60 minute transit in Amsterdam in May (Edinburgh to Rome)...was a chaotic weekend and KLM were offering rebooking with warnings it was going to be mega busy

I packed enough in my hand luggage to last till day 4 (next flight would not have got bag to ship on time then sea day then small port..)

Passport control was queued down the terminal but they called those with imminent flights forward at 5 minute intervals (I got there when they were calling 09:30 flights and was told to wait in queue till they called 09:35 flights)

Amazingly both me and bag arrived!...not a good experience for blood pressure though.

Thanks for sharing your experience as we have a 55 minute transit in Schiphol (Dublin-Nice) and were wondering about it.  I’m trying to prepare myself mentally about missing the connection.  There is a later flight that would just about make the ship but that would depend on seat availability.   I’m not going to stress too much about it (it’s not going to change anything) and hope that I’ll be as sanguine about any problems on the day as I am at the moment.   

23 minutes ago, Scots Caz said:

Ooh stressful. Sounds like airport staff were well organised. Glad you made it.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:17 PM, Nippy Sweetie said:

Yes. My case never made it home from Venice once before. Or at least it did a week later! We can only plan for the worst and hope for the best. 

Not a very relaxing thought when trying to look forward to our cruise.

Im better with missing luggage returning home except when Air France lost my walker for 30 days!  There was seemingly a whole container missing! 

i traveled for business and in 8 years, domestically, I had luggage delayed twice both on return.  

I'm now hearing about there not being enough baggage handlers and the loading codes aren’t getting read such that passenger with tracking devices in their suitcases are better able to locate their luggage than the airlines are.  

• 1 month later...

Hi folks... Not sure if in this long link you have your answers about the Venice to Ravenna transfer are clear for our  October 10, 2022 departure on the Onward

If you call Azamara, you can book the shuttle which you collect at Tronchetta ( on the Venice island) and you get there  via watertaxi (Line 2).  You book your departure time and prepay.  I believe it was $75 per person.  

This is particularly attractive for those who are arriving in Venice a few days early.  You have only to get from your hotel to Tronchetta...and can avoid returning to the airport for a shuttle or take the extended train ride through Bologna and connecting to Ravenna.    

This is our second Azamara cruise... and 4 years later they're information is still a little less than transparent.      The vacay will make up for it! 

Barbara

• Like 1