RC request for Starlink

16 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Royal Caribbean filed a request last Friday with the FCC to be able to offer Starlink internet on its ships.  It would be the first cruise line to try it 

They announced a partnership with Spacex last week, and the request to the FCC is necessary to allow them to use starlink dishes on moving ships. Dish Network is currently suing to prevent the use of mobile starlink dishes on moving cars and boats.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-caribbean-first-cruise-liner-114535441.html

22 minutes ago, orville99 said:

They announced a partnership with Spacex last week, and the request to the FCC is necessary to allow them to use starlink dishes on moving ships. Dish Network is currently suing to prevent the use of mobile starlink dishes on moving cars and boats.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-caribbean-first-cruise-liner-114535441.html

It's already on Freedom for testing

FB_IMG_1655123131214.thumb.jpg.298a0e6f0a50e036b9d02dbd53a6358f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Cool. Can’t wait to see what RCL will charge for this, however considering they are projecting 50-250 MBPS speeds..

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Royal Caribbean filed a request last Friday with the FCC to be able to offer Starlink internet on its ships.  It would be the first cruise line to try it 

We use it here in Northern Arkansas, it's the berries!  It is saving us hundreds of $$ over ATT hot spot and gives us limitless data.  Elon is our hero.  We also have Philo, Prime TV, Disney+ and Hulu now that we are Starlink.  This would be fantastic.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We use it here in Northern Arkansas, it's the berries!  It is saving us hundreds of $$ over ATT hot spot and gives us limitless data.  Elon is our hero.  We also have Philo, Prime TV, Disney+ and Hulu now that we are Starlink.  This would be fantastic.

Not much coverage on the ocean yet

Screenshot_20220614-150045_Chrome.thumb.jpg.43d7dd54c60bf209a744486aefc1027c.jpg

https://satellitemap.space/

The straight lines are batches of satellites not yet deployed. They go up around 60 at a time. Still need to launch thousands more

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That is great to see.  

I was looking at an availability map and noticed nothing showing in water but just figured it didn't show it because they didn't consider anyone using it on water.  

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I live in North Central Arkansas.  The website said they expected our area should be available in 2023.  That is high on my list of choices.   I am getting tired of Suddenlink over charging for there services.   Nice to have competition. 

We got our unit here around Mountain Home last month.  It's a snap to mount and works within literally minutes!  We love it.  We live in Rae Valley near Flippin...yeah yeah....we love the Flippin police!  😇

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

We got our unit here around Mountain Home last month.  It's a snap to mount and works within literally minutes!  We love it.  We live in Rae Valley near Flippin...yeah yeah....we love the Flippin police!  😇

I am in Batesville so you would think it would be good here too.  Does it do good on cloudy day or stormy day.  Have you ever tested the download speed?

Starlink is a LEO satellite constellation.  What that means:  Coverage worldwide is all the same.  Starlink can't have better coverage over continents, because the satellites are all moving.  The only areas with no coverage is over the poles, because the polar orbits haven't been populated yet.  My guess will be internet is free after StarLink is adopted.  The equipment is cheap, the subscription cost is lower than Comcast, and the speed is (quite literally) out of this world.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That is great to see.  

I was looking at an availability map and noticed nothing showing in water but just figured it didn't show it because they didn't consider anyone using it on water.  

They aren't allowed to use it for non-stationary uses yet, so no reason to put it over the water.

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

This would be great.  It's just a matter of time (and probably some of Elon's money) before the requirement to be stationary is lifted.  Dish is trying to stop that so that they don't have competition.

I don't understand why RC needs permission from the FCC while using it in the ocean. 

6 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I don't understand why RC needs permission from the FCC while using it in the ocean. 

Because the way the current FCC regulations are written, using it on any moving conveyance is illegal. And as a U.S. company, Spacex is bound by the FCC regulations regardless of where the actual satellite is located.

Edited by orville99

Just now, orville99 said:

Because the way the current FCC regulations are written, using it on any moving conveyance is illegal.

I understand that.  I guess the better way to ask, how far off shore can FCC rule over a cruise ship. 

It also doesn't make sense that they would regulate moving differently than stationary like Dish.  We have had radios, CBs, cell phones,  etc in motor vehicles for years. Are they regulated different than a radio in your house?

7 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It also doesn't make sense that they would regulate moving differently than stationary like Dish.  We have had radios, CBs, cell phones,  etc in motor vehicles for years. Are they regulated different than a radio in your house?

I have no idea why the stationary restriction exists but it doesn't matter if a ship is outside of FCC limits.  Starlink needs to follow FCC rules no matter where the customer is located.  Dumb.  I can't think of any technical or safety reasons to limit customers to being stationary, but maybe one exists. 

I recently watched a video of a couple who lives on a houseboat in Seattle and they installed an antenna on their boat.  It works great for them but they can only use it when in their home marina.  The antenna makes adjustments (electronically, not mechanically) as the ship bounces up and down.  They turn it off when moving or even when they're stationary away from their home site.  Starlink apparently tracks if you're moving and disconnects service, to satisfy the FCC.  If they are stationary for too long in a new location, Starlink changes their "address" which causes some sort of problem for them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

They aren't allowed to use it for non-stationary uses yet, so no reason to put it over the water.

Around 2500 satellites are up now. They add around 100 per month. They need 10,000 for global coverage. It's gonna be a while

20 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Starlink shares same band as Dish