Jump to content

Queen Mary 2 - Wine List at 11th June 2022


D&N
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

No courses for me.Cunard is at the top of my price range. No desire to cruise less often by spending more on upscaling. I’ve known some people spend more per night than I do on my whole cruise !! 100% their choice but not mine. Can’t see the point . Cunard ticks all my boxes so that’s a no from me. 😀🚢

 

Cunard ticks all our boxes too. Why change when something suits so well. Familiarity doesn't breed contempt for us. It says 'welcome home'!🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Cunard ticks all our boxes too. Why change when something suits so well. Familiarity doesn't breed contempt for us. It says 'welcome home'!🙂

Absolutely. Part of the pleasure for me is knowing exactly what to expect. Only possible tantrum from me would be if they changed the Golden Lion menu and took off my favourites .

Embarkation day ritual for me. A curry in the Golden Lion by 1 30 and then a dessert from Kings Court or Carintha lounge depending on if I am on Q V or QM. Then a trip to the Britannia Restaurant to check out my table.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies if this has already been answered in this (or another) thread, but could anyone tell me whether it is possible to buy a bottle of wine for consumption at home? Ie taking unopened away from the restaurant? 
Assume not but just wanted to double check.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Alsun said:

Apologies if this has already been answered in this (or another) thread, but could anyone tell me whether it is possible to buy a bottle of wine for consumption at home? Ie taking unopened away from the restaurant? 
Assume not but just wanted to double check.

Have taken excellent Bin Ends home as gifts, so one’s stateroom consumption should not be a problem.  The full price list price is paid, plus the usual 15% fee

 

Ask one’s Sommelier for the best buys on the Bin End Wine List….They know 😉

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Not
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't suppose many people have tried as there is a large mark up over the retail price. You could always ask your sommelier. 

I will - there are a few wines on which are difficult to get and even the marked up price is justifiable

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Have taken excellent Bin Ends home as gifts, so one’s stateroom consumption should not be a problem.  The full price list price is paid, plus the usual 15% fee

 

Ask one’s Sommelier for the best buys on the Bin End Wine List….They know 😉

Thanks, good to know. I will give it a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alsun said:

I will - there are a few wines on which are difficult to get and even the marked up price is justifiable

If you have transport, you could consider a buying trip to France. Even outside the EU, you are allowed to import 24 bottles of still wine and 12 bottles of champagne or other sparkling wine without paying any taxes. If there were 2 adults travelling, you double that. If you were buying good quality wines it's likely to be financially beneficial and there will be much more choice than in the UK.

 

When we lived in Scotland we took an annual mini-cruise, Hull-Zeebrugge, which gave us about 10 hours on the continent. We generally spent about 6 or 7 hours visiting an area NE of Lille and around Roubaix, where there were 2 x Auchan, 2 x Carrefour, Leclerc, Cora, and Casino Hyper plus high street chains like Nicholas.

 

There are 2 periods per year, around March and September, when most stores run a wine promotion "Foire aux Vins". https://www.larvf.com/,vin-foires-aux-vins-printemps-calendrier-enseignes-cavistes-grande-distribution,4428971.asp

 

During these periods extra discounts are given and ranges extended, and it's a time when many French folk stock up their cellars. Well worth aiming to catch as many of these as possible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you D&N, we do have a French wine trip planned for later this year.
 

It was just that I was showing the Cunard list to a friend (wine lover) and he was very interested in a few specific wines on it, so wondering if we could buy him one of those. The alternative suggestion is of course that they go on a Cunard cruise themselves 😉

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, D&N said:

If you have transport, you could consider a buying trip to France. Even outside the EU, you are allowed to import 24 bottles of still wine and 12 bottles of champagne or other sparkling wine without paying any taxes. If there were 2 adults travelling, you double that. If you were buying good quality wines it's likely to be financially beneficial and there will be much more choice than in the UK.

 

When we lived in Scotland we took an annual mini-cruise, Hull-Zeebrugge, which gave us about 10 hours on the continent. We generally spent about 6 or 7 hours visiting an area NE of Lille and around Roubaix, where there were 2 x Auchan, 2 x Carrefour, Leclerc, Cora, and Casino Hyper plus high street chains like Nicholas.

 

There are 2 periods per year, around March and September, when most stores run a wine promotion "Foire aux Vins". https://www.larvf.com/,vin-foires-aux-vins-printemps-calendrier-enseignes-cavistes-grande-distribution,4428971.asp

 

During these periods extra discounts are given and ranges extended, and it's a time when many French folk stock up their cellars. Well worth aiming to catch as many of these as possible.

Agree to day trip.

As an aside… Now the worst of COVID has hopefully passed, we are to resume our Lunch and Wine and Cheese etc day trips.  And if anyone wishes to replicate, traditionally we take lunch at 

https://www.lasirene-capgrisnez.com

Their Price Fix and service being very good, plus the cheese board is excellent, being very local.  Not forgetting the special direct sea views from one’s table.  Then off to La Maison of Wine and Cheese, followed by Cité Europe etc and a train back.

Yes, one does exceed the posted allowances

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for the hell of it, we (along with friends) have met up for Sunday lunch in Le Touquet (Loups), stopping quickly at Carrefour on the round-a-bout just outside on our return.  A “why not” thought?

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Alsun said:

... could anyone tell me whether it is possible to buy a bottle of wine for consumption at home? 

Things change all the time but we always used to bring home half a dozen of the 20cl "Cunard Port for Two". I've just had a look and there's only four left, '92, '97 and 2000 (x2). I was really disapointed when they stopped doing these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, techteach said:

I don’t remember which thread it was in, but I had promised to post the current QG in suite bar menu. Here it is in 2 parts and all are available.

Hope you're recovering from yesterday's hassles.

 

That list wouldn't be particularly interesting to us. But then as I've said elsewhere, I'd find it difficult to imagine spending enough time in a cabin/suite to drink there. Other than if one of us caught something requiring quarantine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, techteach said:

@D&N We love sitting on our veranda watching the sea go by, drinking wine and reading or doing crossword puzzles.

Snap! 🙂

Interesting to see a slight change on the white wine list from May/June on QV, The Yealands Sauvignon Blanc used to be my go to cabin drink so hope it's back on QV's list later on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I recently watched a video from late July 2023, which included shots of bar menus.

Those where I could easily identify the wine by glass prices were from Commodore Club, and I've modified those from an older menu in the attachment.

Sparkling wines by the glass appear to have been reduced from 150ml to 125ml.

Small glasses of still wine are listed as 175ml, where they were previously 150ml.

Some of the prices for 250ml glasses have been slightly reduced.

The Chablis, Whispering Angel, Chianti and Rioja, which would be amongst our favoured wines have all been increased above the $13.50 drinks package limit.

I assume the same measures and prices are applied in other venues where same wines are offered.

 

Spirit measures appear to have been reduced to 25ml and 50ml rather than 1oz and 2oz, which are closer to 30ml and 60ml.

 

 

QM2 Commodore Club wine by glass late July 2023.docx

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, D&N said:

I recently watched a video from late July 2023, which included shots of bar menus.

Those where I could easily identify the wine by glass prices were from Commodore Club, and I've modified those from an older menu in the attachment.

Sparkling wines by the glass appear to have been reduced from 150ml to 125ml.

Small glasses of still wine are listed as 175ml, where they were previously 150ml.

Some of the prices for 250ml glasses have been slightly reduced.

The Chablis, Whispering Angel, Chianti and Rioja, which would be amongst our favoured wines have all been increased above the $13.50 drinks package limit.

I assume the same measures and prices are applied in other venues where same wines are offered.

 

Spirit measures appear to have been reduced to 25ml and 50ml rather than 1oz and 2oz, which are closer to 30ml and 60ml.

 

 

QM2 Commodore Club wine by glass late July 2023.docx 15.38 kB · 1 download

For those in the UK jealous of the “free” US Grills Drinks package, I would gladly pay the lower UK price and use extra cash on drinks I enjoy. This new list eliminates many names that go over the $12 Grills limit. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, D&N said:

I recently watched a video from late July 2023, which included shots of bar menus.

Those where I could easily identify the wine by glass prices were from Commodore Club, and I've modified those from an older menu in the attachment.

Sparkling wines by the glass appear to have been reduced from 150ml to 125ml.

Small glasses of still wine are listed as 175ml, where they were previously 150ml.

Some of the prices for 250ml glasses have been slightly reduced.

The Chablis, Whispering Angel, Chianti and Rioja, which would be amongst our favoured wines have all been increased above the $13.50 drinks package limit.

I assume the same measures and prices are applied in other venues where same wines are offered.

 

Spirit measures appear to have been reduced to 25ml and 50ml rather than 1oz and 2oz, which are closer to 30ml and 60ml.

 

 

QM2 Commodore Club wine by glass late July 2023.docx 15.38 kB · 3 downloads

 

For the 'Legendary Wines of the World' the glass sizes are 75ml and 150ml.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

 

For the 'Legendary Wines of the World' the glass sizes are 75ml and 150ml.

Yes, I wouldn't have expected them to change.

I think they are only shown on page 4 of the main wine list, unless you've seen them elsewhere?

 

What I would like to know is if the 75ml glasses qualify for the 20% discount on the drinks package?

I don't think anyone has asked about that onboard yet.

Theoretically they should as the T&Cs state drinks above $13.50 and some bottles of wine.

I'll find out for myself when we next sail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, D&N said:

Yes, I wouldn't have expected them to change.

I think they are only shown on page 4 of the main wine list, unless you've seen them elsewhere?

 

What I would like to know is if the 75ml glasses qualify for the 20% discount on the drinks package?

I don't think anyone has asked about that onboard yet.

Theoretically they should as the T&Cs state drinks above $13.50 and some bottles of wine.

I'll find out for myself when we next sail.

 

There is a qualifier to the 20% off - it does exclude some wines so some or all of them might be excluded. Just checked the T&Cs and surprisingly it doesn't say. I was sure they had some exclusions listed.

 

I didn't test it last time I was on board for the Legendaries although I did order a glass of (French but not 'special') champagne which was processed according to the 20% rule. I've only ordered a glass from the Legendaries list when I've not had a drinks package.

 

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 1/16/2024 at 4:07 PM, D&N said:

I recently watched a video from late July 2023, which included shots of bar menus.

Those where I could easily identify the wine by glass prices were from Commodore Club, and I've modified those from an older menu in the attachment.

Sparkling wines by the glass appear to have been reduced from 150ml to 125ml.

Small glasses of still wine are listed as 175ml, where they were previously 150ml.

Some of the prices for 250ml glasses have been slightly reduced.

The Chablis, Whispering Angel, Chianti and Rioja, which would be amongst our favoured wines have all been increased above the $13.50 drinks package limit.

I assume the same measures and prices are applied in other venues where same wines are offered.

 

Spirit measures appear to have been reduced to 25ml and 50ml rather than 1oz and 2oz, which are closer to 30ml and 60ml.

 

 

QM2 Commodore Club wine by glass late July 2023.docx 15.38 kB · 30 downloads

That’s disturbing given that the Chablis was within the limit and what I would drink. Raising the limit to $13.50 is not very helpful when the drinkable wines have been moved outside the package. All other cruiselines I’ve been on charge the difference, not the whole drink. Now I’m conflicted about the alcohol package. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...