Royal UP

From what I've gathered, no one has a good handle on how exactly RC determines who wins and who doesn't. It's definitely not a straight auction, highest bid gets that category room, situation.

Here's an example... On an upcoming cruise, I have an interior GTY booked (we don't really care a ton about our room unless it's a suite tbh, but that's not important). We bid small amounts on a few RoyalUps. One was a panoramic ocean view (not the suite).

Someone else on one of my roll calls had a regular OV and bid their min of $15pp on the panoramic OV and won with over 3 weeks to go. We didn't bid a lot but it was definitely higher than $15.

Any guesses on something like this? Perhaps they factor in what the other party paid originally (more than us no doubt as we're in the cheapest category and it was a TA friends & family rate)? Perhaps they wanted to free up an OV rather than an interior?

Admittedly I'm jealous, lol, but more curious about the mysterious RoyalUp algorithms.

35 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

From what I've gathered, no one has a good handle on how exactly RC determines who wins and who doesn't. It's definitely not a straight auction, highest bid gets that category room, situation.

Here's an example... On an upcoming cruise, I have an interior GTY booked (we don't really care a ton about our room unless it's a suite tbh, but that's not important). We bid small amounts on a few RoyalUps. One was a panoramic ocean view (not the suite).

Someone else on one of my roll calls had a regular OV and bid their min of $15pp on the panoramic OV and won with over 3 weeks to go. We didn't bid a lot but it was definitely higher than $15.

Any guesses on something like this? Perhaps they factor in what the other party paid originally (more than us no doubt as we're in the cheapest category and it was a TA friends & family rate)? Perhaps they wanted to free up an OV rather than an interior?

Admittedly I'm jealous, lol, but more curious about the mysterious RoyalUp algorithms.

I suspect that the desirability of the cabin you are vacating has a a lot to do with it.  Since there is no one to “move up” to your interior GTY,  they would not make any money on your move other than your bid.  My guess is that those booked in interior rooms have a lower chance of getting upgraded unless they bid very high or there are many cabins left with few bidders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I suspect that the desirability of the cabin you are vacating has a a lot to do with it.  Since there is no one to “move up” to your interior GTY,  they would not make any money on your move other than your bid.  My guess is that those booked in interior rooms have a lower chance of getting upgraded unless they bid very high or there are many cabins left with few bidders.

That was also one of my guesses. Thanks.

As an aside, the interiors are actually showing as sold out on this particular sailing (yes I know that's not a completely accurate measurement) so perhaps they may want to open some up. A man can hope...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

I think so, too.  I just received four email offers for my aft balcony.  Possibly generated automatically to everyone, possibly generated because my trade-in would move quickly 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

I threw a few low bids in for giggles and grins on our August cruise also. Hopefully run into you onboard. Looks like it is just down to the 21 YO daughter and I.

I have 2 22 YOs going with me. This was supposed to be my Daughters 21st birthday cruise, but COVID canceled that last year. She and her college roommate will be celebrating. We are thinking of chaining them together so there is no trouble. LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, crusnbee said:

She and her college roommate will be celebrating. We are thinking of chaining them together so there is no trouble. LOL

You do realize that would only compound the problem. There is a reason conspiracy is a crime:) I'll try and hook up with ya'll first day so they can meet, maybe we can chain them all together the first few sea days.  I suspect with 2 sea days to start this cruise it will almost have a 3-4 day cruise party atmosphere at the beginning.

7 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I received four Royal Up email offers to bid, and believe cabins that are booked quickly are somehow flagged in the computer.  

Oh, I was thinking you were getting offers for your booked cabin, like car dealerships send owners of popular cars that letter making an offer for a trade-in.  😅

I just checked my Royal up account, and today the minimum bids have gone up! For instance, when I bid on my OV balcony ...I also considered OV Large Balcony at $200/person. Now it's increase to $260 as a minimum bid. I am currently at day 59. My original bid was 2 weeks ago.

BTW...I'm currently booked in a Central Park Balcony.

Edited by AspiringCindy

Cruise leaves tomorrow. It's 11:18 PM and all three of my Royal Up bids are pending... no idea if that even matters. If I get an upgrade, I'll report it back here. Currently in a balcony room and bidding on an Ultra Spacious ocean view with large balcony (I want the bunk beds for my kids), a 1 bedroom grand suite and a 2 bedroom grand suite... 

On 6/15/2022 at 6:06 PM, cvasto said:

How can you see locations of rooms available?

Really doesn't necessarily matter what you see available now.  People cancel at the last minute, or some might move up freeing up a cabin you are bidding on. In addition, they might have a positive covid test.   We had a balcony cabin last cruise and moved up to a Junior suite- the cruise ship didn't show Junior suites available, but we did get one with a reasonable bid.  

• Like 1

Really doesn't necessarily matter what you see available now.  People cancel at the last minute, or some might move up freeing up a cabin you are bidding on. In addition, they might have a positive covid test.   We had a balcony cabin last cruise and moved up to a Junior suite- the cruise ship didn't show Junior suites available, but we did get one with a reasonable bid.  

36 minutes ago, cvasto said:

So it sounds like I still have a chance? It's currently 7:31 am and no rejection email yet. All 3 of my bids are still pending...

Anything is possible but what most people will tell you is that you did not win and you will receive your rejection emails after your board on night 1. As stupid as that may sound, that seems to be the experience of many who have gone through this. 🤞 for you though.

I'm 21 & 24 days out from a B2B with bids on both halves and don't expect to win but who knows?

On 6/24/2022 at 8:10 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Anything is possible but what most people will tell you is that you did not win and you will receive your rejection emails after your board on night 1. As stupid as that may sound, that seems to be the experience of many who have gone through this. 🤞 for you though.

I can tell you from experience that is how it works, you get the rejection email well after you are on board. Salt in the wound kind of thing.

We received an offer to bid on 3 different suites (we were originally booked in a Jr. Suite) for our Aug. 18th sailing on Adventure.    We got the offer about 10 days ago, and just found out we won the one bid we placed.    I was surprised to hear so quickly!!

• Like 1

Just an update. None of my bids were accepted (some of them were hefty bids). The ship was full so I think that played a role. Weirdest thing, they had an aqua view balcony that was open. My guess is no one bid or they didn't like the bids they got on it. They had a bingo draw for the suite. So I guess sometimes there is a way to update mid cruise through bingo? I figured it would have sucked to repack and move... but I played anyway and missed it by 1 number...