"Chops +1" Does this make any sense?

For my upcoming Navigator cruise, they are currently selling a "deal" called "Chops+1":

It says you get one dinner in Chops and one in another specialty restaurant.  One of the dinners must be on night 1 or night 2 of the cruise.  Okay.

They are also selling Chops:

That's a deal you can get ANY night of the cruise.

Oh...and Jamie's Italian is on sale for $32.99 pp, Izumi for $28.99 pp.  Again, ANY night of the cruise.  (Okay, to be fair, Hooked is at $41.99--so a slight deal of a savings of $8 pp--but, you are limited to nights 1 or2--when cruise lines usually make great deals on specialty restaurants because they don't come close to selling out at the start of a cruise)...

But, remember, they are maing a big deal out of it being a deal on ANY other specialty restaurant.  Oh wait, there ARE exclusions:  

• "Not valid for premium experiences including: Chef's Table, Wine Pairings Dinners, Taste of Royal, Mystery Dinner Theater and Holiday Celebration Dinners."

Oh...and there's this (whatever it means):

• "For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $35 food credit, with the exception of Port Side BBQ and Playmakers which will be $20."

Okay...so, for only $83.99 per person, I can get a dinner at Chops and a Dinner at Jamie's--a total value of $82.98...

Or a dinner at Chops and one at Izumi-- a total value of $78.98...

Or a dinner at Chops and a $35 food credit or a $20 food credit at a la carte venues--a total value of either $84.99 (a whopping dollar benefit in exchange for being restricted to doing one of those dinners opening night) or $69.99...So, I might be getting a really good deal--paying THEM an extra $14 pp for the privilege of restricting my dates!

Seriously...Do they actually sell any of these packages????

3 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Can you do Chops twice? That seems like the only way it makes financial sense, assuming of course that you want to do both Chops dinners on nights 1 and 2.

usually you just schedule one on night 1. Once onboard if there is space at the time you want you can move them around. You dont have to eat both the first 2 nights. 

My march on oasis shows all these specialty pieces went up. Except I have some mexican bar I can choose. Prices are increasing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Can you do Chops twice? That seems like the only way it makes financial sense, assuming of course that you want to do both Chops dinners on nights 1 and 2.

Yes, you can do Chops twice. It does not need to be nights 1 and 2. I think we did Chops first and sixth night. It was also less expensive for us than the price above, but it was a few months ago. 

• Like 1

My Cruise Planner for Voyager on Oct 2nd out of Boston lists Chops at $58.99, Giovanni's at $43.99, and Izumi at $34.99 (no hibachi on this ship - that's 1 small plate, 2 large plates + dessert). 

Chops + 1 is listed at $99, so if I bought that and chose Chops and Giovanni's, I'd save $3.98.  Cops and Izumi would cost $5.02 MORE than buying separately.  The best deal would be Chops twice, where I'd save $18.98.

Then they offer a 3-night specialty dining package for $120.  Obviously the best value for that would be Chops x 3, but really, any combination except Izumi x 3 would make that a good value.  

The UDP is $245, which is about the price of Izumi for each of the 7 nights, or Chops x 2, Giovanni's x 2 and Izumi once.  But it also offers the ability to order more than one entree and lunch on sea days.   If your willing to eat in a specialty each of the 7 nights of the cruise, it's the best value.  

We'll see what the prices go to when the "sale" comes off the board...but it looks like all the restaurants may go up, but the price of the "Chops+1" will go up even more!  After al, the restaurants all say "15% off pre-cruise savings BUT the Chops+1 package says "20% off":  And, whatever the deal tomorrow, if booking today, rather than grabbing that package NOW, better to just book separately NOW.

Also, I'm guessing the pricing varies ship to ship, cruise to cruise.  Doesn't look like there's a standard that transcends all ships.  I just posted what applies to the June 27 Navigator of the Seas...

I just looked at my August Vision of the Seas cruise and that one has the Chops+1 priced at $75.99...with Chops at $44.99 and Giovanni's at $34.99 and Izumi at $28.99...Consistency...

BTW, I can't even get dining pricing...or shore excursions for my April Symphony of the Seas cruise...

Edited by Bruin Steve

12 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Also, I'm guessing the pricing varies ship to ship, cruise to cruise.  Doesn't look like there's a standard that transcends all ships.  I just posted what applies to the June 27 Navigator of the Seas...

Definitely!  On my October Voyager cruise, the individual restaurant prices are not listed with any discount indicated.  The bundles (Cops +1 , 3x specialty, UDP) all have "xx$ off" banners.  

I almost purchased the 3 night pkg for Oasis but I figured out what my cost would be to just book the 3 restaurants I wanted. The pkg saved me $15pp but wasn’t enough to make it worth it to me to have to wait until on board to book the reservations. I like to book the days and times I want. Not what fits their schedule.

I think it varies by ship.  I looked at it for our Oasis cruise.   I decided to go UDP, but if I wanted 2 specialty meals the price was right.   It is currently $83.99.  Chops is $54.99.    Anything over 29 would be a discount.  150 Park is 64.99, Giovanni’s is 41.99.   hibachi is $45.99( would have a $10 surcharge, but still be a discount).     It can work, but is not a huge savings.  In our case we really wanted 150 park and Chef’s Table.   ($150 total).  UDP was $207 and now includes a discount to $45 for Chef’ table.  So total cost will be $252.   For $102 more we have up to 4 more dinners and 3 sea days for possible lunches.    My husband loves Izumi for lunch and I want to try Portside BBQ.  

47 minutes ago, orville99 said:

And when all of these "specials" don't create enough customers, by midweek they will be wandering around the ship hawking all of the specialty restaurants at bigger discounts.

Way back, I didn't know that they even discounted these...But several years ago, we were on a cruise, sitting in the lounge with two other couples having those free happy hour drinks when one of the dining crew came walking in "selling" specialty restaurants. I was about to tell him no thanks for us when one of our drinking friends said to the guy "If you'll give it to us for $20 pp, we'll go" (Well below the stated cost).  To our surprise, the dining staff guy quickly said yes...and all three couples signed on for a great dinner.

Then, a few years back on B2Bs on Jewel of the Seas in the Med, we had a bunch of problems on the first leg with the MDR...So, when we got to the second leg, I went to the guest services desk and complained a little,  The guy said, "What about a multi-night specialty restaurant package?  You can avoid the MDR that way"  I said I thought it was a bit pricey.  And he responded by discounting it considerably.  I asked about the sushi restaurant...and was told "$100 credit per night".  SOLD.  Five months later, we were on the Navigator of the Seas for a 9-night Caribbean.  I asked--but this time, they wouldn't negotiate the cost...and told me $25 pp credit for sushi.  PASS.

I guess, like everything else, it's hit and miss, supply and demand.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1