The Price

roger001

I know.  It's supply and demand, and I am not being forced to purchase a cruise. But as NCL stock heads towards ten bucks, I looked ahead towards a Jan. cruise on the Dawn.  We're spoiled now and really, really like a suite.  The rear facing ones that I last paid $3800 for, are now listed at $7200 for two persons.  I had the Haven on the Bliss last Dec. for $6100.  I know.  I've done this enough to understand everything.  No preaching needed.  But wow, damn.   Oh yea.  The Bliss Haven previously mentioned, just checked a similar sailing and it's just $14,781.

Edited by roger001
  • Like 1

Stocks in general are taking a beating.  I don’t see any correlation between fares and share prices, though.

I know I scored some great deals a year ago when the re-start up was just getting into full swing.

As you point out, supply and demand.  Ships are sailing with more passengers, so demand is up.

Still, I scored a Spa Suite for $3,800.  Between my TA’s discount and AMEX OBC, it’s now near $3K, and I get all the “free” perks (with service fees and tips added).

Looked at some Celebrity Sky Suites and Royal Jr Suites, too.  All of them were significantly more expensive.

IF you’re stuck on Sept, see if you can get a sailing after schools start up again.  That will help.  Also, depends on where you want to cruise to.  Bermuda is always pricey.  Caribbean slow season is late Summer and Fall, because that’s hurricane season.  Right after New Year’s, when all Holiday travel is over is another time to score a deal.  Stay away from New England sailings in the early Fall as that’s a hot time to travel there.

Just some rules of thumb I use.

• Like 1

Look elsewhere  ..... I've abandoned NCL and am getting better rates on other lines. I have one cruise left booked with NCL for 2023 and will probably  cancel that one. NCL future pricing is laughable. 11 day to Iceland for 4 people on NCL is $10K. Booked Canival for four extended balcony 12 days $3500 ( no drink package). Most if their cruises are double what I'm finding elsewhere including my August Alaska cruise. I can't see how anyone is using NCL for 2023 and 2024.

• Like 4

It is not supply and demand. At the last 6 quarterly releases Del Rio has doubled down on "market to fill' strategy for pricing. This is reflected in the fact that NCL currently has the lowest booking ratio of the big three. They sailed at 50% for Q1 and 'hope' to get to 65% in Q2. It's expected to take to this time next year to reach 100%. Read 'expected'. Demand is not there so NCL pricing is not based on demand. If you want to see demand pricing, take a look at the other cruise lines, who are also suffering great financial losses.

Of course, keeping prices high helps to dilute all the FCC they have given so there's that. With all that said, there are big deals to be had on NCL if you are willing to sail last minute, so in this regard NCL appears to keep 'market to fill' until final payment and then switches to 'pricing to fill'. 

I have also been targeted for a 25% American Express discount and if I'm not mistaken this is the first time NCL has participated in the Amex offer. If demand were high, this new offer wouldn't exist. 

Stock quickly approaching single digits reflects little faith in the industry survival without significant reorganization. I would not advise anyone to pay high prices for a NCL cruise at this time. But, that's just me ;). 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have also been targeted for a 25% American Express discount and if I'm not mistaken this is the first time NCL has participated in the Amex offer. If demand were high, this new offer wouldn't exist. 

Can you elaborate on the 25% AMEX discount? Did you mean the offers AMEX has? Norwegian has been doing this with AMEX for years!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Can you elaborate on the 25% AMEX discount? Did you mean the offers AMEX has? Norwegian has been doing this with AMEX for years!

Thank you for that. I stand corrected. I received the offer for the first time last week. 

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you for that. I stand corrected. I received the offer for the first time last week. 

Drats! I had hoped there was a 25% discount off your cruise price out there! LOL!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Can you elaborate on the 25% AMEX discount?

Not 25% off, more like, for example, a targeted offer to spend $1000 and get $250 cash back.  It's capped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

I know.  It's supply and demand, and I am not being forced to purchase a cruise. But as NCL stock heads towards ten bucks, I looked ahead towards a Jan. cruise on the Dawn.  We're spoiled now and really, really like a suite.  The rear facing ones that I last paid $3800 for, are now listed at $7200 for two persons.  I had the Haven on the Bliss last Dec. for $6100.  I know.  I've done this enough to understand everything.  No preaching needed.  But wow, damn.   Oh yea.  The Bliss Haven previously mentioned, just checked a similar sailing and it's just $14,781.

I hear you which is why I began looking elsewhere. I just booked a 7-day Royal Harmony OTS cruise in a Royal Star Class Suite (includes unlimited specialty dining, ultimate beverage package, WiFi and more) with a Genie (1:1 Butler) for half the price of a Haven suite. 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I hear you which is why I began looking elsewhere. I just booked a 7-day Royal Harmony OTS cruise in a Royal Star Class Suite (includes unlimited specialty dining, ultimate beverage package, WiFi and more) with a Genie (1:1 Butler) for half the price of a Haven suite. 

That would be "price to fill" 🙂... Congratulations. I really like the Oasis class. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Would hate to leave NCL after 25 cruises, but I just can’t justify the long range advertised prices and difficult to do last minute.  Might have to shop elsewhere.  Do like the NCL atmosphere.   Darn.  

Have you tried Royal? Their Oasis Class suite life is very similar to the Haven. Bump it up to Star Class and it is over-the-top! 

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

Would hate to leave NCL after 25 cruises, but I just can’t justify the long range advertised prices and difficult to do last minute.  Might have to shop elsewhere.  Do like the NCL atmosphere.   Darn.  

I'm not loyal to any one cruise company and find when it all shakes out they are more alike than different. Each line has certain things they do well, and other things that can be improved. Variety is the spice of life! Enjoy shopping

• Like 2

I hate to say this but I agree they are charging too much especially if you want to book the Haven.

Personally I can’t justify paying Haven prices when I can do b2b2b for the same price in a balcony and sometimes a club balcony as doing one cruise in the Haven.

I still work for a living so I can’t do last minute cruises to price watch and I also like to do a couple land based vacations every year so the Haven may just be a dream until I retire.

• Like 2

I have actually booked a couple of Regent Seven Seas Cruises for not much more than NCL Haven (especially considering you get airfare included....and business class for overseas!)  While not in a named suite, the service, food and beverages offered were fabulous (lobster still on the menu) and I will be happy to sail on RSSC again!  I have been pleasantly surprised that the pricing for RSSC hasn't gone through the roof, considering it is also part of NCLH.  It is a different style than NCL, much more laid back and low key, but I loved the library, cooking classes, and had the craps table almost to myself!  Of course, the ship was 1/2 full, so maybe that made a difference?  Bringing my son & his wife on next year's trip to Rome; we'll see if they miss all the water slides, etc.

• Like 2

Relying on brand loyalty to sustain high pricing has a tipping point.

Checking some '23 & '24 NCL bookings vs comparable RCCL and Celebrity itinerary's and room categories I'm seeing pricing 15 - 25% below NCL. 

Example: 06/23 7D Bermuda: NCL Pearl: Haven OS (H4):       $12,670

: Celebrity Summit: Royal Suite: $  9,625

We've been on other lines and prefer NCL overall, but not at this price premium.  Looks like it's time to try the others again.

• Like 2

Posted this elsewhere, same is true here.

On any given sailing, on any of the cruise lines, on any ship, with similar itineraries sailing in similar categories, on the same dates, fare prices are going to vary widely.

These sorts of threads pop up regularly stating a guest will/won't sail on any given cruise line because of fares.

I bet if you look at that same sailing on the NCL Pearl, same category, in March or April of 2023, you'll find a much different fare.  NCL seems to reward those who don't book that far out.  Just a general observation.  

I get my best NCL fares booking last minute....sometimes only 2 weeks (or less) before sailing.

Some cruise lines have their least expensive fares when booking far in advance.

It's just a different way of doing business. Not saying one is better than the other...just different.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Posted this elsewhere, same is true here.

On any given sailing, on any of the cruise lines, on any ship, with similar itineraries sailing in similar categories, on the same dates, fare prices are going to vary widely.

These sorts of threads pop up regularly stating a guest will/won't sail on any given cruise line because of fares.

I bet if you look at that same sailing on the NCL Pearl, same category, in March or April of 2023, you'll find a much different fare.  NCL seems to reward those who don't book that far out.  Just a general observation.  

I get my best NCL fares booking last minute....sometimes only 2 weeks (or less) before sailing.

Some cruise lines have their least expensive fares when booking far in advance.

It's just a different way of doing business. Not saying one is better than the other...just different.

Overall I agree with your comments, notably fares are generally higher further out (pretty much the same as with airlines).

Personal circumstances prohibit us from booking last minute and we have to book at least 1+ years out (someday we'll hopefully be able to take advantage of last minute pricing).

For the last 10+ years, booking 1+ years out, the pricing differences between NCL and other lines on similar agendas & cabins has been fairly comparable, and we've typically gone with NCL, sometimes paying a bit more.   My comments are based on the significant differences I'm now seeing, causing us to reconsider final choices at this time: I didn't mean to say "we'll never sail NCL again".  Hopefully comparable pricing levels evolve back to prior trends.

(I took a quick look at some Pearl sailings in May and April: the biggest difference I saw was ~10%, most were ~5%).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CWMixer said:

Overall I agree with your comments, notably fares are generally higher further out (pretty much the same as with airlines).

Personal circumstances prohibit us from booking last minute and we have to book at least 1+ years out (someday we'll hopefully be able to take advantage of last minute pricing).

For the last 10+ years, booking 1+ years out, the pricing differences between NCL and other lines on similar agendas & cabins has been fairly comparable, and we've typically gone with NCL, sometimes paying a bit more.   My comments are based on the significant differences I'm now seeing, causing us to reconsider final choices at this time: I didn't mean to say "we'll never sail NCL again".  Hopefully comparable pricing levels evolve back to prior trends.

(I took a quick look at some Pearl sailings in May and April: the biggest difference I saw was ~10%, most were ~5%).

I understand.  I'm retired.  It's a recent phenomenon.  But, it allows me to be way more flexible with when and where I can book.  As such, I'm usually able to find a good/great fare on one of the big cruise lines and not look at specific weeks.  I can broaden my search by cruislines, cruise ships, time of year, month, cabin type, itinerary, etc.  Once I broaden my search criteria, it makes it relatively easy to find a "deal".

This time last year, all the lines who were starting up sailings again, had cheap fares at the same time.  Ordinarily, that's not true.

I don't look far out, though.  I certainly don't look out a year (or more).  Usually, once I decide to go, I start to shop.  And, I'm shopping for a fare anywhere from a week out (where I find the best deals), all the way to 2 months out.  Past that, I try not to plan...well....anything.  I like to be flexible....may have something come along that I'd rather be doing.  

Sometimes Celebrity will have a deal going on.  Sometimes it's NCL.  Sometimes it's Royal, etc.

• Like 1

Nowadays, with global uncertainty, amazed as to the old school thinking to book cruises one and two years out, especially and including those inaugural sailings for the exceptional experience ... and the not so joyous cruise & air cancellations, scramble for making hotel booking changes (thankfully, Marriott remains flexible despite changes in their loyalty program)  

We have a 12 nights cruise booked this winter on NCL, something we normally don't do - before far out in advance ... and yeah, prices are high.  Might just cancel, wait & rebook later on - it's on our cruise calendar.  Might just play the cat-n-mouse game on pricing with them, heck - there's no way it's going to be sold out in the middle of winter anyway.  

Cruise prices dropped already - again - for this Fall's sailings, after final payment/cancellation deadline had passed a month ago.  Thankfully, we locked in a decent deal and not going to lose sleep or tracking prices, but out of curiosity ... looking at unsold inventory with ships afloat, not pretty - entire sections and corridors nearly vacant.  Hence, cheap upgrades by bidding from a balcony to club balcony "suite" for as little as $25 p/p ... wow, OMG that's almost a giveaway. 

@graphicguy BTW - just noticed, congrats for joining the VHR Club, did you just retired ? 

42 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Nowadays, with global uncertainty, amazed as to the old school thinking to book cruises one and two years out, especially and including those inaugural sailings for the exceptional experience ..

What difference does it make?  Deposits in the US are fully refundable up until final payment date.  Why not lock in the room, etc. for free?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What difference does it make?  Deposits in the US are fully refundable up until final payment date.  Why not lock in the room, etc. for free?

I think one of the reasons is the same little technicality you ran into doing your insurance research. The clock starts with deposit. If you read thru the Crystal forum, those who made deposits early are not getting any monies back from the credit company from the bankruptcy. I know you aren't worried about the financial outlook of NCL, but it is something others may want to consider. 

27 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think one of the reasons is the same little technicality you ran into doing your insurance research. The clock starts with deposit. If you read thru the Crystal forum, those who made deposits early are not getting any monies back from the credit company from the bankruptcy. I know you aren't worried about the financial outlook of NCL, but it is something others may want to consider. 

You may be right.  I still self-insure for cancellation, so it's not an issue for somebody like me.  Cheap, catastrophic medical/evac can easily be purchased right up until the cruise date.

• Like 1