SAS Strike June 2022?

I’m not sure this is the right place for this topic, so please forgive me in advance. 

From what I’m reading, SAS is planning on a strike at the end of June. I’m scheduled to fly SAS on July 1, Chicago ORD to Stockholm ARN for RC “7 Nights Northern Europe and Scandinavia.”

Return flights are July 10, Stockholm ARN to Copenhagen CPH to Chicago ORD. 

My questions: what happens if there is a strike?  How soon in advance should we be notified?  

I have booked SAS myself - if a strike SAS will rebook you on alternative flights. 
How/where have you purchased your ticket? I do not know if it’s mattes but I have always bought my tickets direct with SAS and I have newer been left behind.

I have mainly flown SAS for 45 years at work and in private and I have never been worried when a strike was announced - and this is not the first SAS strike.  In all cases where there have been irregularities in operations, technical, weather or strike, SAS has rerouted me with other Star Alliance partners or SAS flights that were not covered by the strike - however some times a day late or maybe the day before. 
Technically SAS consists of three separate companies: SAS, SAS Select and SAS Direct - the latter two has not announced strike. And we do not know yet if there will be a strike - personally I believe that the current disagreement will be solved or the strike will be exposed.

I’m following the situation closely. 

• Like 1

I see SAS airlines going on strike soon, I wonder how long they will last and that is quite a problem for summer…. 

looking at alternative flights in July I guess..

anyone else concern that booked SAS from us?

2 hours ago, lionheart said:

anyone else concern that booked SAS from us?

As mentioned, not all SAS flights are affected by a possible strike and SAS will make sure to rebook passengers to other flights - either planes that are not affected or other Star Alliance flights - can of course lead to rerouting and delays.  Unless the flight is late the day before or the same day as the cruise I would not be nervous.

1 hour ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

“Wetleased”?

When SAS has leased aircraft from an external company that supplies aircraft and crew.  The owner assumes operational responsibility for the operation.  These are primarily short regional routes.
Your ORD - ARN flight will be affected if the strike becomes actual.  In the event of a strike, SAS will rebook you for another flight - likely rerouting with Star Alliance partner - unfortunately this can cause delays - hope your flight is a few days earlier than your cruise.

Edited by hallasm

31 minutes ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

Thanks. Our flight arrives in Stockholm at 7:30am the day before sailing. Our boarding time is 3:30 the day after we arrive. 

Yup same  and I have 200 time slot so I can sight see beforehand 

I looked at other flights and not many good options 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

On SAS I assume? You could switch to Air Canada,  and fly Chicago-Toronto-Copenhagen. 

Except unfortunately Pearson (Toronto's airport) is a zoo right now, and you would need a lot of extra time for your connection, especially with checked luggage.

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

Except unfortunately Pearson (Toronto's airport) is a zoo right now, and you would need a lot of extra time for your connection, especially with checked luggage.

Well, we currently have almost 6 hours on our layover SFO-Toronto-Copenhagen. @floridababa asked what they could do to prepare. Appropriate layover times are smart, but not reason not to fly.

8 hours ago, floridababa said:

I have a flight from Chicago to Copenhagen beginning of ju!y. Should I be worried? What should I do to prepare?

Stay informed about flight delays.  May depend on where / how you bought your ticket and booking class.

I have flown regularly with SAS for more than 45 years - sometimes two to four times a week and experienced many strikes and cancellations.  In all cases, I have been re-routed and arrived at my destination - often 2 to 4 hours late - a few times the following day.

Please note that in the event of delays on EU flights, you are entitled to compensation in accordance with EU 261/2004,  Up to € 600 must be paid in compensation for flight delays of more than 3 hours.

If you are flying from a destination outside the EU to an EU destination and flying with a European airline, you are covered and have the opportunity to apply for compensation.

You can find out more about EU 261 and your air passenger rights here.

49 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Well, we currently have almost 6 hours on our layover SFO-Toronto-Copenhagen. @floridababa asked what they could do to prepare. Appropriate layover times are smart, but not reason not to fly.

Sorry. I should have skipped the "except" at the beginning of my comment; just warned that  you need extra time to connect in Toronto.

The mechanics have announced a sympathy strike with pilots.  
The problem here is that it will also affect SAS Connect flights but not SAS Direct or SAS flights on wetlease.

This strike has been announced for 5 July.  

My personal bid right now is that the parties will come to an agreement and the strike be called off.  But I can of course, can be wrong.

4 hours ago, lionheart said:

SAS direct flight is a non stop flight from US?

In “our part of the world” we do use the term ‘direct flight’ when non-stop.

In the past there were flights with the same flight number that had one or two stops on the route here in Europe or transatlantic.
Today all SAS flights including Transatlantic are non-stop.

If more than one flight separate flight numbers.

I received this email today for my flights on Friday, July 1:

Dear Traveler,
The pilots' unions in Denmark, Norway and Sweden have given their notice of a potential strike with earliest possible start Wednesday June 29th.
Mediation is ongoing and we all strive to find a solution to avoid a strike.
If strike will be initiated your trip might be affected.
As a precaution we therefore offer you a rebooking option free of charge.
If you want to rebook you trip you can do this via “My bookings” https://flysas.com/managemybooking
If you have made your booking through a travel agency please contact them for further assistance.
We truly apologize for the inconvenience this will cause you.
Best regards,
SAS

I'd like to rebook on a different Star Alliance airline, but I don't know how.  Any suggestions? When they say "rebooking free of charge" is it for the same dates on a different airline?

Edited by AdventureKenandCar

1 hour ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

When they say "rebooking free of charge" is it for the same dates on a different airline?

Rebooking to another SAS flight at an earlier or later date.

Unfortunately probably not so relevant in your situation but will reduce the number of passengers who need to be re-routed

On 6/17/2022 at 9:24 AM, hallasm said:

I have booked SAS myself - if a strike SAS will rebook you on alternative flights. 
How/where have you purchased your ticket? I do not know if it’s mattes but I have always bought my tickets direct with SAS and I have newer been left behind.

I have mainly flown SAS for 45 years at work and in private and I have never been worried when a strike was announced - and this is not the first SAS strike.  In all cases where there have been irregularities in operations, technical, weather or strike, SAS has rerouted me with other Star Alliance partners or SAS flights that were not covered by the strike - however some times a day late or maybe the day before. 
Technically SAS consists of three separate companies: SAS, SAS Select and SAS Direct - the latter two has not announced strike. And we do not know yet if there will be a strike - personally I believe that the current disagreement will be solved or the strike will be exposed.

I’m following the situation closely. 

Now that this situation seems to be coming into light, I have more questions (sorry to put you on the spot.)

1. How worried are you about this current strike situation?

2. What did SAS do to reroute you with other Star Alliance partners?  How were you notified?  What did you have to do?

3. What would you do in a situation like mine?