Could a CDC change to pre-cruise testing requirements be coming soon?

Ken the cruiser

52 minutes ago, p18750 said:

That is true of other diseases for which you have been vaccinated or recovered. It does not keep you from carrying the virus it just means you will not carry it for long nor are you likely to get sick. Vaccines are not a magic wand whether it be the MMR or the Covid vaccine. They give your immune system a head start in removing a virus. It does not keep you from encountering the virus or spreading it to others. 

Amongst the unvaccinated AND those with no acquired immunity, yes, the R values for mumps and measles is as high as it is for omicron.

HOWEVER

Neither mumps nor measles are easy re-contracted and spread by vaccinated or otherwise immune individuals.  That's why you don't see either of these diseases spreading rapidly on a cruise ships.  Totally different situation, and not a good comparison.

Vaccine efficacy is VERY different between the classic MMR trio and these current COVID products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

FWIW CDC just added an alternative today, June 22, to quarantining an up-to-date vaccinated passenger, most likely for those that were traced, but tested negative. Notice the difference between those that have been "fully vaccinated" versus those that are "up-to-date" on their vaccines. 

Onboard COVID-19 Testing for Symptomatic Travelers (Crew and Passengers) and Testing and Quarantine of Close Contacts

Travelers Who Are Not Up to Date on their COVID-19 Vaccinations Travelers Who Are Up to Date on their COVID-19 Vaccinations
Testing of Travelers with Signs and Symptoms of COVID-19 NAAT Viral (NAAT or antigen)

Negative antigen test must be confirmed with NAAT

Testing and Quarantine of Asymptomatic Close Contacts without Documentation of Recovery in Past 90 Days Testing: Viral (NAAT or antigen, NAAT preferred) immediately and on day 10 before ending quarantine

Quarantine: until at least 10 days after their last exposure (the day of last close contact is counted as day 0).

*Alternatively, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may opt to quarantine these travelers until 5 days after their last exposure followed by 5 days of daily viral testing.

**See guidance above for masking and dining requirements

Testing: Viral (NAAT or antigen, NAAT preferred) immediately and on day 5 before ending quarantine

Quarantine: until at least 5 days after their last exposure (the day of last close contact is counted as day 0)

*Alternatively, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may opt to test these travelers with a viral test daily until 5 days after their last exposure in lieu of a 5-day quarantine.

**See guidance above for masking and dining requirements

Testing and Quarantine of Asymptomatic Close Contacts with Documentation of Recovery in Past 90 Days Testing: Not Applicable
Quarantine: Not Applicable

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC

Ken- good catch.  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

I wonder if the rise in Ba4 snd Ba5 variants will change everything? Study in Israel today suggests they both pretty much evades all vaccines and boosters and the cause in rise of cases in Europe and Asia. Anyone changing their mind on cruising this September and Fall in Europe?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I wonder if the rise in Ba4 snd Ba5 variants will change everything? Study in Israel today suggests they both pretty much evades all vaccines and boosters and the cause in rise of cases in Europe and Asia. Anyone changing their mind on cruising this September and Fall in Europe?

"Evades" might a bit strong, but they are reporting about a 1/3 of the response to these variants vs. that to BA1 and BA2, which is certainly significant.  

The good news is that even so, the report advises

"However, it is likely that vaccine immunity will still provide substantial protection against severe disease with BA4 and BA5."

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Nope. European cruises booked for September and October. No concerns here.

35 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I’ve seen very little coverage of significant increase in rates in the UK and have also read that the new variants remain mild. We’re still heading over there to the states late August regardless, not giving new variants a thought unless one comes along that changes  the travel rules meaning we’re not allowed to leave the country.

Edited by C4HCG

41 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Not changing our August trip to Italy and Greece for 34 days, which includes 24 days on a cruise ship. We know the risks but are tired of the no traveling the last 2 plus years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

We do have to get used to these variants, and others to come, being around for the foreseeable future and as long as we do not see significant rises in hospitalizations they really shouldn't be influencing our decisions unless personally you have significant co-morbidities...

Waiting for there to be no variants out there would mean the end of travel within their remaining lifespan for many people...

• Like 4

We board Edge in 2 weeks then two cruises b2b2 on Oceania . Not cancelling , early '70's, 3 jabs all with Moderna. Opted out of the 2nd booster based on the data that it's only good for about 3-4 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

We do have to get used to these variants, and others to come, being around for the foreseeable future and as long as we do not see significant rises in hospitalizations they really shouldn't be influencing our decisions unless personally you have significant co-morbidities...

Waiting for there to be no variants out there would mean the end of travel within their remaining lifespan for many people...

Yes I agree at some point just move on and survival of the fittest.  Some many diseases and crime and weather issues everywhere, just do the best you can in life.  Not to mention climate change.

I mean in a few years Iceland and Alaska will look different as well.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:42 AM, mfs2k said:

Testing doesn’t eliminate Covid onboard. It reduces Covid on board. 

I know there are many people who would like to see pre-cruise testing eliminated and find it annoying but if it prevents 25 other passengers with Covid from boarding, I’m ok with it.

If I test positive before a cruise, I shouldn’t be around 3,000 other people on a ship, even though I wish I didn’t know I had Covid. 

I’m absolutely ok with pre-cruise testing. I tested positive on Wednesday and had to cancel our 9 day sailing to keep others safe.  Not happy but best be safe than in isolation. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

We board Edge in 2 weeks then two cruises b2b2 on Oceania . Not cancelling , early '70's, 3 jabs all with Moderna. Opted out of the 2nd booster based on the data that it's only good for about 3-4 weeks. 

I would greatly encourage you to speak to your physician about 2nd boosters. While it is true that studies of neutralizing Abs show that they decline rapidly after any Covid shot, most of your immunity, especially to severe disease, may be cell-mediated and only peripherally affected by those Abs. One booster may be sufficient to preserve your cell mediated immunity, or it may not be. Your individual susceptibility will depend on your underlying conditions and age. As we get older we will lose some of the effectiveness of that immunity.

Short version - it’s not about the Abs, and it’s hard to predict what your individual susceptibility is, discuss with someone who knows your medical history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, REEtired said:

I’m absolutely ok with pre-cruise testing. I tested positive on Wednesday and had to cancel our 9 day sailing to keep others safe.  Not happy but best be safe than in isolation. 

I take it that you tested only because you had an upcoming cruise?

Just think.  If you hadn't been cruising, you could have infected everyone you met for the next week at the grocery store, restaurants & etc. and never known. The difference is, you don't know if any of those folks were vaccinated.  On a cruise, you do.

Welcome to omicron.  Cognitive dissonance in viral packaging.  I think I'll find something to sell just for an excuse to trademark that one.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, REEtired said:

Sorry to read you tested positive and had to cancel. Hopefully you can reschedule and go soon

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I would greatly encourage you to speak to your physician about 2nd boosters. While it is true that studies of neutralizing Abs show that they decline rapidly after any Covid shot, most of your immunity, especially to severe disease, may be cell-mediated and only peripherally affected by those Abs. One booster may be sufficient to preserve your cell mediated immunity, or it may not be. Your individual susceptibility will depend on your underlying conditions and age. As we get older we will lose some of the effectiveness of that immunity.

Short version - it’s not about the Abs, and it’s hard to predict what your individual susceptibility is, discuss with someone who knows your medical history.

Yes, yes and yes...that is why we have an excellent concierge physician and friend.  He is so up on Covid and its variants through research.  Also, he has an excellent grasp on our medical history.  We will cruise in October with Paxlovid and other items.  Life is way too short to not seize the day!  

Edited by Lastdance
These comments are mine, based on my own information and have absolutely nothing to do with what others think or believe.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I do have some medical training and have 2 physicians in the immediate family. No co-morbidities, good health ( 5K every day), etc. I also reacted badly to each Moderna shot (never had that with any other). The studies I have looked at do say the Abs wane rapidly on the 4th shot. Much speculation as to why including shot fatigue by the immune system ( ho hum, already saw that). Flew 16 times during the pandemic and cruised in February with no issues. I'd rather wait for the new improved shot this fall if I need to put up with 2 1/2 days of misery again.

Edited by Aloha 1

FWIW here’s the link I’ve been periodically checking to see if any more pre-cruise testing requirement changes get posted to the CDC Cruise Ship Travel Guidance document, last updated on June 13th.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Walgreens was our go-to for testing, but it seems like they're ending the drive-up program June 28 (no appointments available there next Saturday, when I need it).  Having to rush to order eMed tests now.

26 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Walgreens was our go-to for testing, but it seems like they're ending the drive-up program June 28 (no appointments available there next Saturday, when I need it).  Having to rush to order eMed tests now.

Our local CVS has also discontinued drive up, but we can still go inside to get tested. For our cruises in August, our hotels in Rome and Venice have set up appointments at local testing centers for our group, if we still need a preboard test in August.

18 minutes ago, itzfitz said:

I wrote a letter to Lisa Perlo asking if Celebrity kept track of those who tested positive while on board and their vaccination status.  If you read through these boards the majority of those posting were up-to-date on their vaccines, wore KN95 masks, stayed socially distanced and still came down with Covid!  I also asked if any of those passengers had to be evacuated or hospitalized because of the severity of their cases.  If you are not interested in that data, then to continually keep vaccinating and boosting seems you are setting yourself up to get infected!  In my opinion, if that is what the trend is, I'd say bag the vaccine requirements and certainly the testing.  

Fitz - guess you were being polite as of course we all "know" X keeps track of cases on board.  I also know that even totals from the CDC have been missing from my search requests.

If on board obviously people are vaccinated and we all know lots of fully vaccinated people that are contracting covid.

Understand your opinion, but what about country and Port requirements?  Canada for example - do you just write off Alaska cruises or port stops at many counties?