Galveston parking - RCI new terminal in November??

I'm booked on Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston on 11/24/22. When I went to try to book parking on the Port of Galveston website, it gave me the option of North Lot, South Lot, and Pier 14. I've used the existing port parking in Galveston many times, and none of those options sound familiar. I Googled and didn't find any info on these lots. I assume they are close to the new terminal that is still under construction, but I can't find them on the map or anything about which lot would be preferable.

Currently, we prefer to park in the garage directly across from Terminal 1 (the one with the unused skybridge) and walk across the street. If Royal is going to be using the new terminal by November, obviously we can't park there. Anyone know the situation with the new lots?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, longhorn2004 said:

I thought they were building parking garages, guess not all surface lots. I did not see much parking construction sailing out a couple of weeks ago.

01B2D579-7029-4525-A6D5-08E93E571A5B.jpeg

B6BEB840-9B70-48B8-9FCA-34B37783F130.jpeg

A1969ED9-1F13-4B91-AD96-1CFE5C76AFAC.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Surface lots for now.  There are garages available at the old pier, hopefully they'll offer shuttle service. 

A parking garage would be on same locations as ground parking will be .  Your walk to terminal would be be same either way . 

Edited by ssb

In the news story I linked above they said that the parking lots would have a over 2,000 parking spaces. Allure has about 5,000 passengers. If you consider that some people take a shuttle from the airports & from hotels, and some will use other cheaper parking lots & shuttle over, and also consider that most people driving have more then 2 people in each vehicle there will be plenty of parking with these lots, no garage needed. Now if you want garages so that your vehicle is in the shade and not sitting in the hot Texas sun I completely understand & I hope that they build some kind of covered parking on these lots.

Oh BTW here is a link to a webcam in Galveston that most of the time is focused on the dock where they are building the new terminal. I have seen it move and show other views now and then but it always comes back to the dock and stays there most of the time. If you want to watch the progress.

https://www.visitgalveston.com/webcams/north-galveston-webcam/

7 hours ago, soundman10f said:

Oh BTW here is a link to a webcam in Galveston that most of the time is focused on the dock where they are building the new terminal. I have seen it move and show other views now and then but it always comes back to the dock and stays there most of the time. If you want to watch the progress.

https://www.visitgalveston.com/webcams/north-galveston-webcam/

FYI: Use the Full screen feature in the lower right corner for a little bit closer view of the terminal construction.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:56 PM, soundman10f said:

Now if you want garages so that your vehicle is in the shade and not sitting in the hot Texas sun I completely understand & I hope that they build some kind of covered parking on these lots.

I'm more concerned about parking on an upper level to avoid the somewhat frequent Galveston flooding...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 7:45 AM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I'm more concerned about parking on an upper level to avoid the somewhat frequent Galveston flooding...

I'd think that if a hurricane or tropical storm were to hit Galveston and cause flooding bad enough to reach a parking lot, your cruise would have been canceled....  Storms like that don't just show up without several days notice, and they're not going to send a ship out without a port to bring it back to.

12 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

I'd think that if a hurricane or tropical storm were to hit Galveston and cause flooding bad enough to reach a parking lot, your cruise would have been canceled....  Storms like that don't just show up without several days notice, and they're not going to send a ship out without a port to bring it back to.

Flooding in Galveston is a thing. It is a legit concern to think about when considering where to park there. Galveston floods even when there's no hurricane. 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/galveston-cruise-ship-passengers-left-stranded-in-floodwaters/285-590544152

https://www.cruisehive.com/port-of-galveston-issues-flash-flood-warning/26623

We sailed on the Carnival Valor out of Galveston right before Hurricane Harvey in 8/17. The people who got on board the day we disembarked (just prior to the storm's arrival) did depart as scheduled - even though they knew the storm was coming. Those people were stuck on the ship for several extra days, and many ended up disembarking in New Orleans since the Port of Galveston was closed. So yeah, they sent out that ship and ended up not being able to bring it back to the home port until much later. Cars were damaged in the cruise parking lots. I believe this happened personally to @firefly333.

https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_351606ed-a87f-59d7-aa90-fc93694c2beb.html

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas

13 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Flooding in Galveston is a thing. It is a legit concern to think about when considering where to park there. Galveston floods even when there's no hurricane. 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/galveston-cruise-ship-passengers-left-stranded-in-floodwaters/285-590544152

https://www.cruisehive.com/port-of-galveston-issues-flash-flood-warning/26623

We sailed on the Carnival Valor out of Galveston right before Hurricane Harvey in 8/17. The people who got on board the day we disembarked (just prior to the storm's arrival) did depart as scheduled - even though they knew the storm was coming. Those people were stuck on the ship for several extra days, and many ended up disembarking in New Orleans since the Port of Galveston was closed. So yeah, they sent out that ship and ended up not being able to bring it back to the home port until much later. Cars were damaged in the cruise parking lots. I believe this happened personally to @firefly333.

https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_351606ed-a87f-59d7-aa90-fc93694c2beb.html

Actually after they made everyone go thru customs in new orleans the ship later got permission to go to houston .. not Galveston. I'd already rented a car. There were no hints houston might let us dock. Houston wasnt even open then as a port. I never saw my car again. Galveston closed up and didnt let people in for a week or two. We left sunday and Ike was supposed to hit mexico but dog legged friday, 5 days after we left. It wasnt supposed to hit Galveston. 17 feet of water was in the port parking garage. It the low side of the island. They bring in sand along sea wall so that side is higher ground. All the water apparently flowed to the port side of the island.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually after they made everyone go thru customs in new orleans the ship later got permission to go to houston .. not Galveston. I'd already rented a car. There were no hints houston might let us dock. Houston wasnt even open then as a port. I never saw my car again. Galveston closed up and didnt let people in for a week or two. We left sunday and Ike was supposed to hit mexico but dog legged friday, 5 days after we left. It wasnt supposed to hit Galveston. 17 feet of water was in the port parking garage. It the low side of the island. They bring in sand along sea wall so that side is higher ground. All the water apparently flowed to the port side of the island.

Hurricane Ike in 2008.  The island was raised after the 1900 storm.  We don't bring in sand.  The Seawall is at 17" then drops a foot every 1100' to the port side which 8'  The hurricane pushed water up the bay which came in on the backside of the island.

Yes, the island was closed except for residents as there was no power or water and debris everywhere including I45 to the island.  

Many stories and articles on both storms.

• 2 months later...