Halifax

ms1279

14 minutes ago, Wisconsin Travelers said:

So 3 votes for Paul, but not a peep of how to contact him?!!  Private tour?  Or tour company?

Just Google:

Halifax Titanic Historical Tours

Paul McNeil

Private Tour Company

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've written two reviews on cruise ship visits to Halifax. Hopefully they will be inspirational to those planning a visit.

The first one included a visit to Peggy's Cove...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/17/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia/

2031479702_PeggysCoveStorytellerHouse.jpg.a98813d6c37e34a89e72579ffeca97db.jpg

and the second one including a walk to the Fairview Cemetery (Titanic Victims) ...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

1997918394_FairviewCemeteryTitanicGravesview1.thumb.jpg.22e57e851204a695da2fe870b1e642e8.jpg

Please feel free to ask any questions.

• Like 1

The Maritime museum is really worth going to.  The exhibit of the Halifax explosion is unreal.  If you are not aware of it, to this day, it is the largest man created explosion in history short of an atomic bomb.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 4:04 PM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

How far is Lunenburg?  Having grown up in Lunenburg, MA, it may be fun to go there but not sure it’s worth it. 

Lunenburg is a 80 minute drive from Port. It is included in a 6 hour Port excursion that also includes stops in Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove. You would also see highlights of Halifax on the dive in and out. Lunenburg is a beautiful Unesco recognized town, very colourful and popular tourist spot.  It is the home of the Bluenose

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jdavid said:

Lunenburg is a 80 minute drive from Port. It is included in a 6 hour Port excursion that also includes stops in Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove. You would also see highlights of Halifax on the dive in and out. Lunenburg is a beautiful Unesco recognized town, very colourful and popular tourist spot.  It is the home of the Bluenose

Thank you!  We have a private tour guide and it too far from where we are going so I’m going to skip it.  I like tours that are only 4-5 hours max. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 12:09 AM, disneyochem said:

We booked Paul for our October visit.  Haven’t gone yet but he’s very responsive to any inquiries.  

Do you have any contact information? We will be there in October as well.Thanks

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

His email is:  Halifax Titanic Historical Tours Paul McNeil <halifaxtitanictours@yahoo.com

Which tour did you book? The more I read the more interested I am in wine tour and wondering around by the water/boardwalk. By the way, we will be there October 12 on Voyager.

19 hours ago, Salwein said:

Which tour did you book? The more I read the more interested I am in wine tour and wondering around by the water/boardwalk. By the way, we will be there October 12 on Voyager.

We did the Historical tour with him 4++ hours. We've done many private tours over the years in many countries but none can compare to what Paul provided in Halifax. 

On 9/11/2022 at 3:22 AM, Salwein said:

I have done a wine tour with Grape Escapes and the tour guide was FANTASTIC.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 7:45 AM, stacyh270 said:

We will be in Halifax next Monday.  We are renting a car and driving down the coast. We plan to visit Peggy's Cove, Oak Island, Mahone Bay, and Lunenburg. 

Stacy, what were you able to accomplish? Any other tips for those of us considering a similar driving tour?

• 9 months later...

I had been waiting YEARS to go on one of Paul’s tours.  I had read about how wonderful he was as a tour guide on the different message boards (yes, that’s how far back I read about him!) and wanted to be a part of one of his Halifax tours.   Paul’s Halifax tour was definitely worth waiting for!   It was everything I had read and more.   You can hear and feel the love he has for Halifax and Nov Scotia as he tells you about Halifax, Dartmouth, and the surrounding areas.   The information he shared through his stories, photos, and videos was amazing.   He knew exactly where to bring us so that we will have lasting memories of Halifax, not memories of crowds.  He knows all the spots to be.  For the noon gun at the Citadel and changing of the guard, we were right in front and saw and heard everything. We saw all 3 (that’s right 3 ) Titanic Cemeteries and visited two of them.  We visited the Halifax Explosion Memorial - with the information Paul had shared in the van and his explanations of everything I saw, I was moved to tears.    His passion for sharing the important, human side of the area comes through in everything he does.   

If you are able to book with Paul for the Historical Halifax tour - DO IT!!!!  Don’t hesitate, he is definitely the best out there and worth the cost of the tour!

• Like 2

I have been looking at The Citadel on the Parks Canada website. There does not seem to be a lot there except the external courtyard to stroll around and the chance to take in the views from up there.  Am I correct in that?  DH has an interest in going there anyway though and I will probably not be able to walk that far uphill, but the Parks Canada site does list a number of buses which go fairly near the The Citadel, though not right there (which would do fine).  Can anyone please tell me which bus we would need to go there from the cruise terminal and/or if we can get help finding that from any staff who may be at the terminal?

We would plan to walk down though and after that visit to Halifax in late September, we have another one day cruise call scheduled for late July next year, so time to do other things, including the Immigration and Maritime museums.

Edited by tring

On 7/27/2023 at 10:57 AM, Hearthstone36 said:

I had been waiting YEARS to go on one of Paul’s tours.  I had read about how wonderful he was as a tour guide on the different message boards (yes, that’s how far back I read about him!) and wanted to be a part of one of his Halifax tours.   Paul’s Halifax tour was definitely worth waiting for!   It was everything I had read and more.   You can hear and feel the love he has for Halifax and Nov Scotia as he tells you about Halifax, Dartmouth, and the surrounding areas.   The information he shared through his stories, photos, and videos was amazing.   He knew exactly where to bring us so that we will have lasting memories of Halifax, not memories of crowds.  He knows all the spots to be.  For the noon gun at the Citadel and changing of the guard, we were right in front and saw and heard everything. We saw all 3 (that’s right 3 ) Titanic Cemeteries and visited two of them.  We visited the Halifax Explosion Memorial - with the information Paul had shared in the van and his explanations of everything I saw, I was moved to tears.    His passion for sharing the important, human side of the area comes through in everything he does.   

If you are able to book with Paul for the Historical Halifax tour - DO IT!!!!  Don’t hesitate, he is definitely the best out there and worth the cost of the tour!

So glad you enjoyed your tour with Paul...and yes one of the most memorable tours we've had regardless of the many places we've toured.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 6:59 AM, tring said:

I have been looking at The Citadel on the Parks Canada website. There does not seem to be a lot there except the external courtyard to stroll around and the chance to take in the views from up there.  Am I correct in that?  DH has an interest in going there anyway though and I will probably not be able to walk that far uphill, but the Parks Canada site does list a number of buses which go fairly near the The Citadel, though not right there (which would do fine).  Can anyone please tell me which bus we would need to go there from the cruise terminal and/or if we can get help finding that from any staff who may be at the terminal?

There are a number of things to see at the Citadel - https://parks.canada.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/activ/decouverte-tours/visite-auto-guide-self-guided-tour

• Thanks 1

I asked this question on the roll call board with no success. I was wondering what the benefit might be of purchasing a hop on hop off excursion ticket on the ship as opposed to in town? 

Will the ship excursion pick us up on the pier?

We will be in Halifax on Monday 25th September, and will visit for a second time next year, on Saturday 27th July.  Am I right in thinking the city's attractions will be a lot busier next July and, if so, would we be better going to the Maritime Museum and the boardwalk when it is quieter?   We are also thinking of a visit to the Citadel, which I am thinking may be less prone to becoming overcrowded, but could be wrong in that.  We are also thinking of spending some time in the city centre.