Avalon Blue Danube Discovery cruise - any questions?

Queen of my Heart

Yes, we left about 6pm so we were able to see the city in early evening sunshine, but it depends where the boat is moored how much you get to see and there is no commentary. One of my fellow travellers also did the Budapest extension but Avalon failed to met her at the airport so she had to organise a taxi herself. They will reimburse her the cost but still.....you might like to double and triple check any arrangements you have with them.

We have a while to go, and I will make sure we have contact #"s in case they do miss us.  I'm hoping by next year the flights will be sorted so no major delays, as we will have a change over in Amsterdam. If you left around 6:00, I'll continue my plans for the night time cruise, as it will still be light around then.

Thanks for the heads up.

Daisi. Home again now and I am trying another way to attach the menu. Do let me know if it works! If so, I will attach more. Unfortunately they are PDFs so I can't cut and Paste. I will say that the food was universally excellent. Some of us feared that, with such a small complement of passengers, they might offer reduced options but that was not at all the case.mthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Damthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfy_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dimthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfnner_Menu[651].pdf

• Like 1

No, they don't work. I think you have to download them onto your phone or device, then upload them through the "choose files" link below.

Thanks anyway, glad you had a great trip, eagerly looking forward to ours next year.

I did have a good time and, despite my worst fears, having only twenty passengers aboard proved not to be a problem at all and it turned out to be like a large house party. This was my first time with Avalon and, on the whole, I was impressed. The ship was lovely, staff very attentive, staterooms a good size, well equipped and nice shower-rooms with a reasonably sized shower cubicle. My main quibble was their insistence on everything being done electronically (daily menus, programmes etc only available on the app or tv, neither of which on occasions worked) and the removal of little touches like a shower cap, all in the name of sustainability. They did however seem happy to print out reminders about settling bar bills promptly!!

I very much liked having a wide choice of excursions and to their credit they continued to offer the full range even though we were so few. I chose not to leave the ship on several occasions as it was so hot and I was sure that I would find city walking too much for me. I was slightly disappointed in the Vienna city tour - I have previously been on one which covered more of the sights over a longer tour - so felt a bit short-changed. I loved Regensburg for its waterside location and delightful centre (it was the only place where we were rafted apart from Budapest at the very start) and am always very happy to return to Nurnberg which is one of my all-time favourite places. It was however very hot and we were all wilting after walking/standing in the hot sun for much of the morning. The Nurnberg itinarary had to be amended as we had to moor at Kelheim and be bussed there (1.5 hours each way) as the Danube was closed for the annual Roth triathlon, which is something to be aware of in future years for anyone planning a river cruise that passes on that stretch of the river/Main canal in Early July.

This was my first summertime river cruise (I'd only ever done them in spring, autumn or Xmas before) so it was wonderful to be able to sit outside and enjoy the ever-changing view. There was quite a lot of daytime sailing as well as overnight so there was plenty of opportunity to just chill in the warmth (if you get my drift).

As an aside, it was rumoured aboard that Avalon were cancelling some of the subsequent cruises following this itinerary. We saw ships from all the cruise lines at one time or another but none looked full or even approaching that and the towns/cities weren't rammed although there were many parties of local school pupils in evidence. There was some rafting happening but it seemed that cruise lines were trying to do so alonngside their own sister ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2022 at 7:58 AM, Queen of my Heart said:

Daisi. Home again now and I am trying another way to attach the menu. Do let me know if it works! If so, I will attach more. Unfortunately they are PDFs so I can't cut and Paste. I will say that the food was universally excellent. Some of us feared that, with such a small complement of passengers, they might offer reduced options but that was not at all the case.mthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Damthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfy_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfmthmzp39-Day_2_Dimthmzp39-Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651].pdfnner_Menu[651].pdf

Hi! I'm wondering if you still have the menus and if you would email them to be directly if I share my address. I'm vegan and my husband is vegetarian. I know Avalon will accommodate, but I want to get an idea of what is actually on the menus to start with - like how healthy and if there is something that would work for us with modifications. We're comparing Avalon with AmaWaterways. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I do apologise for not replying sooner but I've not been looking at the CC boards recently. Sadly, I think I'm coming to the end of my riverine hols so only check into the site occasionally. I hope I'm not too late to contribute to your planning. I have found one menu and checked my Avalon account to see if they are lurking there but without any luck. I have tried to attach below the one that I found - if it doesn't load do let me know and I will find another way to get it to you.

Avalon are indeed accommodating but I think vegan might be more challenging for them, though as it is becoming more mninstream now I'm sure they are now accustomed. Joanne

Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651]-1.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

I am also considering Avalon as a single, they seem to encourage solo travelers so that seems a good omen, I know there was a small number of passengers on your trip, so it may not be a good indicator, but did you get much sense of how they handle singles? Is dinner all at the same time or flexible arrival? Do they have some larger tables for socializing and meeting other travelers? I enjoy my time alone but also want a chance to spend time with others. Thanks for any input.

Dinner starts at 7:00. You can arrive later, but you will be seating at a table where others are already into their dinner. We had a couple join us, and they kind of held back our meal so they could catch up. No problem for us, we were enjoying the conversation, so time went by quickly.  Tables are arranged mostly for 6, one couple will sit down, others join in.  There are tables for 2 as well, but they are quite close together so you may as well be at a larger table. The larger round tables are usually taken up by larger groups travelling together, I think they hold 8-10. 

You can go to the Avalon site and take a virtual tour of the dining room to see how it's arranged, even tour your cabin. We haven't met any one yet who prefers to be on their own, we usually sit at an empty table and by the time meals are served, it's full. 

You will love touring, most we have met are very friendly and outgoing.

35 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@JillSR Sorry, tried to d/l some of our menus from our Sept Danube cruise, but it won't allow me to d/l .pdf or .dox

Thx for trying. Are you willing to email them if I share my address? I have a second email that I don’t use regularly, so not concerned if it’s “out there” in case anyone snatches it for spam. Alternatively, once you see it, I can probably delete my post. Let me know please! Thank you! 

2 hours ago, cynbar said:

I am also considering Avalon as a single, they seem to encourage solo travelers so that seems a good omen, I know there was a small number of passengers on your trip, so it may not be a good indicator, but did you get much sense of how they handle singles? Is dinner all at the same time or flexible arrival? Do they have some larger tables for socializing and meeting other travelers? I enjoy my time alone but also want a chance to spend time with others. Thanks for any input.

Hi. Yes, the Avalon cruise that I went on was, I think, very unusual in the small numbers aboard, which meant it was impossible for a person on their own to get lost in the crowd. I have travelled now with four different river cruise companies but not found that any of them did anything specifically for solo travellers, such as a meet and greet at the beginning, seating all solos together for dinner on the first night. You are left to find your feet pretty much by yourself, which can be daunting when so many on board are in couples or larger groups. I have been on river cruises which are advertised as being for solo travellers only but found that a large majority of passengers were taking advantage of the double cabin for single price to travel with a friend, sister, mother, etc. Very few were travelling completely alone.

If you are a confident person who is comfortable engaging with a range of people and possibly needing to keep introducing yourself to new people, asking to join a couple or more at mealtimes etc., OR are perfectly happy to do your own thing, be friendly when approached but not necessarily seeking out company, then all should be well. For myself, being something of an introvert, by the end of a week I find that I am feeling my widowhood even more acutely and am ready to return home.

47 minutes ago, JillSR said:

Thx for trying. Are you willing to email them if I share my address? I have a second email that I don’t use regularly, so not concerned if it’s “out there” in case anyone snatches it for spam. Alternatively, once you see it, I can probably delete my post. Let me know please! Thank you! 

Yes, I can email them, I have all (breakfast, light & regular lunch, and dinner). Would you like them as well?  If you are on the Blue Danube Discovery cruise I can send you the dailies, however ours switched a bit because we ran into some low water levels....but they will give you an idea of what to expect. Just don't expect times to be the same. We started off with 2 days in Budapest, ended with 2 days in Prague...missed Nuremburg unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

Yes, I can email them, I have all (breakfast, light & regular lunch, and dinner). Would you like them as well?  If you are on the Blue Danube Discovery cruise I can send you the dailies, however ours switched a bit because we ran into some low water levels....but they will give you an idea of what to expect. Just don't expect times to be the same. We started off with 2 days in Budapest, ended with 2 days in Prague...missed Nuremburg unfortunately.

Yes please send all of the menus. I TRULY appreciate your doing this more than I can say. I'm curious why you missed Nuremburg. Did the ship not stop there or were you personally unable to get off?Many thanks Daisi! 

Edited by JillSR

15 minutes ago, JillSR said:

Yes please send all of the menus. I TRULY appreciate your doing this more than I can say. I'm curious why you missed Nuremburg. Did the ship not stop there or were you personally unable to get off? Please email to  Many thanks Daisi! 

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

Forgot to include, YES, absolutely send the dailies as well!!!!! 

Edited by JillSR
deleting personal info

On 10/2/2023 at 6:17 AM, Queen of my Heart said:

Hi. I do apologise for not replying sooner but I've not been looking at the CC boards recently. Sadly, I think I'm coming to the end of my riverine hols so only check into the site occasionally. I hope I'm not too late to contribute to your planning. I have found one menu and checked my Avalon account to see if they are lurking there but without any luck. I have tried to attach below the one that I found - if it doesn't load do let me know and I will find another way to get it to you.

Avalon are indeed accommodating but I think vegan might be more challenging for them, though as it is becoming more mninstream now I'm sure they are now accustomed. Joanne

Day_2_Dinner_Menu[651]-1.pdfUnavailable

Sorry Joanne that I JUST saw this post now. I guess I didn't get notified. Attachments here don't seem to ever work, but  Daisi is forwarding menus to my email, so I should be covered. THANK YOU for offering! I hope you're wrong about vegan, but I'll be hoping for the best. I can go a few days on minimal food like salads but then I start to get cranky lol. 

@JillSR, they should be in your inbox now. Have fun.  When you board the ship, they hold a meeting for those with special dietary needs. Join in on that, and they will work with you the best they can to help you have more than salads & soup. 

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@JillSR, they should be in your inbox now. Have fun.

Crazy yahoo...I tried 3 times to reply and nothing happened. I forwarded to my regular gmail to read. Anyway, I opened the first doc and am incredibly excited to read it all. If they are so hell bent on no paper, did you download these onto your phone? Just curious. I'm not a fan of reading important things on my phone. The screen is just too small for me. I love paper so that I can underline, highlight, look at it quickly...I have a feeling this might be frustrating for me. I wonder if they'll print it out if I ask. Thoughts? 

@JillSR - you download the AvalonGo app. It's got everything on it - maps, menus, excursions etc., so it's all handy. There was one lady on our tour that had the excursion sheets printed out, not sure if the reception did it for her or not. I just d/l everything once I was home, transferred from .pdf to .dox for easier reading, and saved it for future reference. One of the dinner menu's is wrong, we were handed paper ones when we arrived into the dining room and they had a total different menu. Everything was tasty (but I eat meat). I know some passengers were gluten free, and they worked well for them - even had croissants that one of them said tasted just as good as normal ones, and were really flaky.