Live From Zaandam June 25 until July 9

Thank you for sharing your experiences!  We are going on that same itinerary in about 6 weeks and are quite excited.  Do you mind going back a couple of days and telling me about your walk to the Citadel?  I see it is on a bit of a hill.  Was the walk up terribly strenuous?  We'll walk it either way, but I'm wondering if I should do a few extra leg exercises before the trip 🙂.

26 minutes ago, aeraen said:

Thank you for sharing your experiences!  We are going on that same itinerary in about 6 weeks and are quite excited.  Do you mind going back a couple of days and telling me about your walk to the Citadel?  I see it is on a bit of a hill.  Was the walk up terribly strenuous?  We'll walk it either way, but I'm wondering if I should do a few extra leg exercises before the trip 🙂.

We thought the walk up was well worth it.  I'd say a few extra leg exercises wouldn't hurt.  Our path had lots of stairs.  After we were back on the ship taking g our shoes off was a relief:-)

• Like 5

Good Evening,  lunch at the Pinnacle Grill was great. No pictures. The tomato lemongrass soup is wonderful. I had the burger, minus avocado, and it was much better that the Dive In.  The brownie for dessert was also good as was the coconut ice cream.

We used our second free dinner at the Canaletto tonight.  The manager let us know that he'd make sure our service would be good and it was.  I had the minestrone soup and turned the veal and sage meatballs into the main course.  All was very good.

20220704_170611.thumb.jpg.f8e92bae6e9de45f2d6a32abba04900b.jpg

After dinner we waited in the lounge while our cabin was cleaned.  The concierge said that lots of people on board were seasick and cancelling dinners.  We didn't think there was much rocking of the boat.

Skipped the show tonight since it was BBC show.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning,  back to Charlottetown today and it's a beautiful day.  A group of us were talking about the DVD players in the cabin at happy hour.   Our cabin doesn't have one.

20220705_083917.thumb.jpg.e037426abf7b7164c07f6789f56ed86f.jpg

We had another fine breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill this morning.  Mimosas are the draw for DH.

Today's When and Where. 

20220705_062451.thumb.jpg.b26013186c9372792804734bf96c315d.jpg

20220705_062439.thumb.jpg.13e91cdbe49bde163e2968ca0b2c971b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:24 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

They used to have current movies on demand on the newer ships  but now they seem several years old.  I’m not big on Hal’s shows so I love curling up in bed at night and watching a movie.  It’s a luxury I don’t have at home because work takes up so much of my time. It’s not too interesting when some of the movies at 40 years old.

They had some pretty new movies when i was on the Konigsdam in May (not current releases, but reasonably new). i think total probably 50+ movies or so?

i'm gong on zaandam in september and really disappointed it doesnt have the on demand system, i guess with the old tvs..i can probably use my universal remote (or even physical button on tv) to switch to hdmi input so i can watch my streaming stuff (or downloaded streaming stuff) on it.  Hoping internet is better than on Konigsdam in Alaska! streaming was a definitely no way  

on the Zaandam, is it just like a movie channel that plays random movies all the time? that's still better than RCL or carnival where the free tv is basically all ship stuff pushing promos or a couple of tv channels

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gilboman said:

They had some pretty new movies when i was on the Konigsdam in May (not current releases, but reasonably new). i think total probably 50+ movies or so?

i'm gong on zaandam in september and really disappointed it doesnt have the on demand system, i guess with the old tvs..i can probably use my universal remote (or even physical button on tv) to switch to hdmi input so i can watch my streaming stuff (or downloaded streaming stuff) on it.  Hoping internet is better than on Konigsdam in Alaska! streaming was a definitely no way  

on the Zaandam, is it just like a movie channel that plays random movies all the time? that's still better than RCL or carnival where the free tv is basically all ship stuff pushing promos or a couple of tv channels

I remember someone else saying that as well.  They mentioned the name of the movie and I looked it up.  It was from 5 years ago.  That isn't recent to me.

I’d plan on downloading movies to an iPad or laptop to view. One recent report from Zaandam said DVDs were no longer available and machines had been disconnected. Zaandam is the last ship to get overhauled electronics. Doubt you’ll stream or connect anything of yours. We’ve never found any accessible connections on any HAL tv.

2 hours ago, Indianadaytripper said:

I guess the Wajang theater is there and having movies. Or is that history? Didn’t see any movies listed in the daily

The Wajang theater is in use.  Today’s movie is listed at the top of the right hand side.

• Like 4

FYI: from AA today

Please be advised that the Sumner Tunnel, a major tunnel connecting downtown Boston to Logan Airport, is currently undergoing construction and will be closed during weekends throughout the busy summer travel season.

As a result, the Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport), owner and operator of Logan Airport, is urging passengers to use various HOV modes available when traveling to and from the airport, including MBTA’s Blue Line, Silver Line (free from Logan Airport to downtown Boston) and water ferry service, Logan Express bus service to Framingham, Woburn, Braintree and Peabody at the North Shore Mall, and private bus service.

Those coming to the airport by car or renting a car should allow for 1 additional hour of drive time due to expected traffic delays. For more information on transportation options, please click here.

• Like 2

Thanks for giving such a vivid, entertaining description of your experience on the Zaandam! My son Gabriel is a singer/pianist on the ship and you're giving me a bit of insight into day to day life onboard! I'm toying with the idea of going on either a Canadian cruise or a longer cruise if he extends his contract. (It'd be my first real cruise.) Have you felt seasick at all?  Any advice on best food options you've found? I so look forward to following your posts on this and other cruises you might take on the Z!

Edited by Ruthenium
  • Like 3

Good Morning,  I'm sure last night was very bumpy for many.  Strong winds and some large swells.  Some of the outside doors were blocked off. DH was feeling the motion while I was just fine.  The swaying of the ship helped me sleep.

We are up early today.  We have an all day excursion.  The weather has improved greatly and the sun shines today.

20220707_054835.thumb.jpg.6d3d7bd2e732373f570859346dde55c0.jpg

Today's When and Where 

20220707_054954.thumb.jpg.e1562d37ad13ee513048386da455e240.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ruthenium said:

Thanks for giving such a vivid, entertaining description of your experience on the Zaandam! My son Gabriel is a singer/pianist on the ship and you're giving me a bit of insight into day to day life onboard! I'm toying with the idea of going on either a Canadian cruise or a longer cruise if he extends his contract. (It'd be my first real cruise.) Have you felt seasick at all?  Any advice on best food options you've found? I so look forward to following your posts on this and other cruises you might take on the Z!

On this cruise I haven't felt seasick.   DH started to last night but we had rough seas and strong winds.  He has a wristband he bought at Walmart that seems to help.

Food is always very subjective.  The Pinnacle Grill did a good job on this cruise.   Canaletto did a reasonable job.  On the lido the Asian area is the best spot on the ship to eat.  The main stream food on the lido was good but sometimes not as hot as you'd like.  You will not go hungry on the ship.

• Like 5

I am anxiously awaiting the report on your excursion today.  You know that is one I've been wanting to do since 2018 when it was cancelled on us.  That was the cruise that both of our Halifax excursions were cancelled and I had to settle for shopping in the cruise terminal.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dfish said:

I am anxiously awaiting the report on your excursion today.  You know that is one I've been wanting to do since 2018 when it was cancelled on us.  That was the cruise that both of our Halifax excursions were cancelled and I had to settle for shopping in the cruise terminal.  

Some pictures later.  My recommendation is to do it.  It's a beautiful experience. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

On this cruise I haven't felt seasick.   DH started to last night but we had rough seas and strong winds.  He has a wristband he bought at Walmart that seems to help.

Food is always very subjective.  The Pinnacle Grill did a good job on this cruise.   Canaletto did a reasonable job.  On the lido the Asian area is the best spot on the ship to eat.  The main stream food on the lido was good but sometimes not as hot as you'd like.  You will not go hungry on the ship.

Thanks for your great report and pictures.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Some pictures later.  My recommendation is to do it.  It's a beautiful experience. 

I have it booked for this October.   Sue and I can probably do it when we are in Halifax next summer.  I think we'll get there twice.  Once for the Ocean Floor and once to shop.

When we went to our cabin after dinner we had a surprise from the concierge.   A few days ago the concierge and I were talking.  I mentioned that the silk peanut butter pie was missing from the embarkation lunch.

The picture was taken after we each had a piece.  It was soooo good.  The rest tomorrow with champagne. 

20220707_194844.thumb.jpg.8e8faa66400f0bc52f63fe46d5cd4720.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2