Live From Zaandam June 25 until July 9

Thanks for posting the daily when and where flyers.  DH and I cruise this itinerary in mid-September 2022 and I’m looking into pre-booking speciality dining(s). Do you know how many and which days for any Gala nights? Research shows on HAL 7 day cruises, usually day 2 and 6? Is it worth staying in MDR those nights? We also have booked a Neptune suite and I’m curious without a Club Orange private dining venue  what meals are like.
Wishing you continued fun and safe travels!

8 hours ago, peace4pt said:

Thanks for posting the daily when and where flyers.  DH and I cruise this itinerary in mid-September 2022 and I’m looking into pre-booking speciality dining(s). Do you know how many and which days for any Gala nights? Research shows on HAL 7 day cruises, usually day 2 and 6? Is it worth staying in MDR those nights? We also have booked a Neptune suite and I’m curious without a Club Orange private dining venue  what meals are like.
Wishing you continued fun and safe travels!

I expect two Gala nights.  Next one is the sea day.  I think the first one was second day.  On Gala nights we are doing specialty dinning.   Can't speak to MDR or club orange.  We are in a Neptune Suite. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Probably just walking around town.  None of the excursions appealed or we had already done them.  It is a beautiful day. 

The last time we were there, we took the ho-ho trolley and saw places outside of town.  It stopped at a farmers market which was interesting.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, maryandmarge said:

Hi Debbie - 

I try to follow the Daily when I can so I'm familiar with some of the names and where people are from.   My sister and I live in Valley City, OH so about an hour from Kent where you live.    I noticed yesterday that you posted on here that you are on the Zaandam on the 25 day cruise next July 29th 2023 up thru Greenland and Iceland.  My sister and I have also booked this cruise so I look forward to hopefully meeting you then.   We've done N England and Quebec cruises in the past and Iceland has always been on our bucket list.  Fingers crossed that we all stay healthy and are able to cross this off our list. 

Safe travels.

Maryell 

Wonderful!   More to look forward to!   We are also planning to do the 7 night Historic Coast cruise right before the 25 day one.  

Jake, check out the shopping in the Charlottetown terminal.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The last time we were there, we took the ho-ho trolley and saw places outside of town.  It stopped at a farmers market which was interesting.

I looked up it up and sadly they are no longer in business.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We walked around town today and picked up some chocolate covered potato chips.  Also got some chocolate covered ginger.

You had me at chocolate.  Enjoy!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We walked around town today and picked up some chocolate covered potato chips.  Also got some chocolate covered ginger.

20220629_112315.thumb.jpg.5df2fa9f194893fc6c2964dbc80fae27.jpg

@dfish two views of the terminal 

20220629_125714.thumb.jpg.a1b52505898ba9b190dc82ea97b62fe6.jpg

20220629_130101.thumb.jpg.4ed443780fb9921f10b2e6b00a3e3f70.jpg

Oh, that is kind of sad.  I hope they can get those vendors back.  This is where the lady gave Sue and me a crown for our towel monkey that we were dressing for formal night.

• Like 4

Tonight was the first time we saw long lines in the lido.  The mussels were a hit with those that like that sort of thing.

We went to the Step One Dance Company Musicology show. DH thought it ok while I thought it more like a high school production.  The dancers are talented but all music and vocals were prerecorded. 

The Orange Party is at 9 tonight and has a happy hour attached to it.

• Like 7

the Step One Dance Company

Your post saying that Cantare is still performing is great news.  Probably a different group of gentlemen from when I enjoyed them during Nieuw Amsterdam's first Summer in service, but, they provided the most enjoyable main theater performance that I have experienced.  Now, if we can get rid of this Dance Company.  

• Like 5

Tonight was the first time we saw long lines in the lido.  The mussels were a hit with those that like that sort of thing.

We went to the Step One Dance Company Musicology show. DH thought it ok while I thought it more like a high school production.  The dancers are talented but all music and vocals were prerecorded. 

The Orange Party is at 9 tonight and has a happy hour attached to it.

Musicology was the one dance show we walked out of twice.  We made it through the other three shows, but we still wish they replace the dance company with singers and dancers.

• Like 4

I’m not a fan of the dance shows, either.  We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October and were very disappointed with the entertainment.  We have been HAL cruisers since 2003, we have also cruised RCCL and Celebrity, but the majority of our cruises are on HAL.  The other 2 lines have much better entertainment and more evening things to do.  We will be on the VOV in July for 5 weeks and have serious concerns about what we will have to do in the evenings.   Not everyone wants to go to bed at 9PM.

• Like 1

Last night's Orange Party wasn't as well attended as hoped.  It was held in the Crows Nest and they played music for dancing.   Snacks were served and the ones I tried were good. 

It was held at 9 so we watched the sunset.

20220629_210440.thumb.jpg.d29b1e0085c1e668bd9906a1f20f92a0.jpg

20220629_210156.thumb.jpg.d4052ff82bc62429c02e387af883d8f6.jpg

20220629_210316.thumb.jpg.5b4bc9dff0eb4222a06e7ef9b01e5618.jpg

20220629_210713.thumb.jpg.f841ff9d390d7f51fb88dc405d13ce4d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Probably a different group of gentlemen from when I enjoyed them during Nieuw Amsterdam'

Like so many things nowadays, it seems like it is a 'franchise'.  On Oosterdam last week we had Cantare too, so unless HAL has hired 'Scotty' from 'USS Enterprise' and the Transporter is functioning, then there is a lot more than one Cantare. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

15 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Musicology was the one dance show we walked out of twice.  We made it through the other three shows, but we still wish they replace the dance company with singers and dancers.

We were on the Rotterdam recently and the One Step Dance Company was fabulous . I never cared much for the HAL singers and dancers since , imho, they couldn't sing.. 

• Like 1

This morning we were invited to a Mariner recognition event.  It was for five star and President Club members.  No awards were presented.  Champagne and mimosa flowed freely.  We also gor our pictures taken with the captain. 

After a brief rest we had lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.  I had the chicken lemongrass soup and it was very good. It may have been the mimosas but I ordered the Alaska Black Cod sandwich.  DH ordered the beef tri tip sandwich.  We cut them in half so we could try each. The cod sandwich was OK, DH liked it.(I'm not a big fish eater) The beef sandwich was very good.  I then had the lemon sorbet. 

20220630_140832.thumb.jpg.c1975541ee5a488e6409f469fc484834.jpg

Then off to the dining room for the wine tasting. 

20220630_154558.thumb.jpg.f6f8effd9dab3583c703ecb7b316cb2e.jpg

20220630_150238.thumb.jpg.f0b72e0a1c53ff3ebae7cbc81f3802a5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

The Orange Party is much ado about little in my experience. 

Wine tasting after the Mariner's reception with ample Mimosas, you must have had an enjoyable afternoon.

The cheese plate at the wine tasting appears a bit skimpy of cheese.  Where are the crackers?  

• Like 1

Tonight we had dinner in the Canaletto.   We had reservations for 6 pm.  At the 50 minute mark we finally received our entrée.   We were a bit surprised that the service was so slow.   The manager said it was because they had a large table.  We weren't the only guests disappointed in the service. 

We made it just in time for the 7:30 show.  It was the One Step Dancers with the Piano Bar singer and someone from the Ocean Bar band.  The show was better than last night's show.  However, the dancers added nothing to the show.  We both thought that we would have enjoyed it if it was just with the two singers. 

Tonight was also Chocolate Surprise night.  Chocolate never disappoints. 

20220630_215206.thumb.jpg.d4dfdcb0f1282a520a8bbd56d5b801c8.jpg

Our second towel animal. 

20220630_215604.thumb.jpg.882f64b30a9216a705a4bfa665ab547b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3