Live From Zaandam June 25 until July 9

Good Afternoon,  the morning started out cool and overcast. The sun came and turned into a beautiful day. 

Zaandam in Port.

20220627_094847.thumb.jpg.6a344b3dc64f4d1b48f585ea750b8059.jpg

It was sad to see that all the shops in terminal were gone.  I was told that they would be back late July.  

20220627_112200.thumb.jpg.397299289b59f9830975c2861a4f35ba.jpg

Trying a PEI beverage while waiting for happy hour.

20220627_145453.thumb.jpg.a898694ae9889fc59bac822f94bc5ebe.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Somehow, I missed it when you began your live from.  I'm glad I found it and that you are sharing your cruise with us. 

Zaandam is one of the ships we really like.  On the sea days, be sure to be in the atrium at noon and hope they play the organ.  The last time we were on her, DH talked to the Production Manager about the organ.  After a couple of conversations,  the Production Manager found the different discs for the organ, and switched out the one they always seemed to play and replaced it with "Ghost Riders in the Sky"

There is an interesting article about the organ on line, but I can't find the link.  You might try googling it.

I'm looking forward to the next installment..  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I almost went into a panic seeing the empty terminal in Halifax.  They had the best shopping on that route.  I'm glad the shops are coming back in time for my cruise in October.  My t-shirts from the last time I was there are getting kind of ragged.

• Like 6

I did a great winery tour on PEI - Rossignol winery. I still have their stemless wine glass. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of their wines. They make great liqueurs from native fruits. The raspberry is sooooo good. I booked it again for my cruise this fall. You have to see a few lighthouses on the tour first, but the winery is worth it. 

• Like 5

We just found this Live Blog, and thank you for posting it.  We are booked for the 9th, like many others, for the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings.  Your pictures are great, as well as the daily programs.  Do you know if they are planning a Mariner Awards gathering on your cruises?

Bob & Steve

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

We just found this Live Blog, and thank you for posting it.  We are booked for the 9th, like many others, for the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings.  Your pictures are great, as well as the daily programs.  Do you know if they are planning a Mariner Awards gathering on your cruises?

Bob & Steve

I don’t know.  If it happens I’ll try to remember to share.

• Like 1

Good Morning,  the Zaandam has three happy hour times. 4 in the Ocean Bar and Crows Nest,  9 in the Sea View Bar and 10 in yhe Ocean Bar.  Despite the wording on the daily it appears that all drinks are 50% off.  I got another blueberry beer and it was 3.50.

Last night's dinner was in the lido.  Food and service were on par with other ships.

We finally went to a show last night, the comedian Drew Fraser.  We saw him on the Eurodam in April and is a good show to catch, unless you are easily offended. 

Today's When and Where 20220628_090548.thumb.jpg.00de2efa1bcc7fc89b489ddc085f80a2.jpg

• Like 12

Good Afternoon,  Sydney is a wonderful place to visit.   Today the sun is shining and the winds are strong.

20220628_113244.thumb.jpg.52792aebd4f3f1ffd203e5975b8f12a9.jpg

I found the craft fair.  It moved to a new location and is much smaller.  

The terminal has plenty of places to part with your money.

20220628_102158.thumb.jpg.c1eccff726890c568206d16a25b1e5ff.jpg

I bought a salmon from a local artist. 

20220628_131324.thumb.jpg.c315778562fe90012f88fb348ea7b8d0.jpg

It's really nice up close.

20220628_132809.thumb.jpg.0d1bc1d503cba1f739fb9a9d84ba04ad.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

I've never checked out the terminal shopping in Sydney.  Maybe in October.

After we went back to the ship I stopped in the lounge for a drink.  A woman was watching tv. From the side my first thought was that you made it onboard!

• Like 5

Some observations up to this point. 

Tuesday we put laundry out by 9 am.  When we went to the room to get ready for dinner it was returned.  Quick good service. 

I'm used to see Canaletto and Tamarind staff pushing their dinners.  What surprised me was the Pinnacle Grill pushing the lunch on the one sea day on this cruise.   We took the bait and are giving it a try.

We've both had random dinner reservations appear on our daily itinerary.  We check each day to keep it accurate. 

The Effy store was too hot every day. The staff, who we met on Eurodam, asked us to complain.  During 9pm happy hour we submitted feedback through Navigator app.  Today the shops temperature is comfortable. 

The TV service that we are used to on the newer ships is nonexistent on this ship.  Definitely a step back in time.

Tonight we had another nice dinner in the lido.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Some observations up to this point. 

Tuesday we put laundry out by 9 am.  When we went to the room to get ready for dinner it was returned.  Quick good service. 

I'm used to see Canaletto and Tamarind staff pushing their dinners.  What surprised me was the Pinnacle Grill pushing the lunch on the one sea day on this cruise.   We took the bait and are giving it a try.

We've both had random dinner reservations appear on our daily itinerary.  We check each day to keep it accurate. 

The Effy store was too hot every day. The staff, who we met on Eurodam, asked us to complain.  During 9pm happy hour we submitted feedback through Navigator app.  Today the shops temperature is comfortable. 

The TV service that we are used to on the newer ships is nonexistent on this ship.  Definitely a step back in time.

Tonight we had another nice dinner in the lido.  

I found the tv service wasn’t great on the koningsdam in March either.  It might not be your ship.

• Like 1

On my April cruise HAL had let one of the TV contracts expire.  I was really bummed as my sailing had 8 sea days and nothing binge worthy.  Unfortunately the Zaandam is still on the old system.  I wish they had upgraded that.  That really is a part of modern life that HAL hasn’t really caught on to. 

however this cruise is port intensive so maybe TV is not so important 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 3:02 PM, Crazy For Cats said:

It was sad to see that all the shops in terminal were gone.  I was told that they would be back late July

That's really disappointing news because those small business shops offered items that could not be found elsewhere.  Lots of unique items and, as a book lover, I found books that could not be obtained in the United States at one shop that sold such items.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The current system is the old system.   No on demand movies or shows.

They used to have current movies on demand on the newer ships  but now they seem several years old.  I’m not big on Hal’s shows so I love curling up in bed at night and watching a movie.  It’s a luxury I don’t have at home because work takes up so much of my time. It’s not too interesting when some of the movies at 40 years old.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

After we went back to the ship I stopped in the lounge for a drink.  A woman was watching tv. From the side my first thought was that you made it onboard!

Don't I wish!   But, I will be onboard next year!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

Don't I wish!   But, I will be onboard next year!

Hi Debbie - 

I try to follow the Daily when I can so I'm familiar with some of the names and where people are from.   My sister and I live in Valley City, OH so about an hour from Kent where you live.    I noticed yesterday that you posted on here that you are on the Zaandam on the 25 day cruise next July 29th 2023 up thru Greenland and Iceland.  My sister and I have also booked this cruise so I look forward to hopefully meeting you then.   We've done N England and Quebec cruises in the past and Iceland has always been on our bucket list.  Fingers crossed that we all stay healthy and are able to cross this off our list. 

Safe travels.

Maryell 

• Like 2