Complimentary drinks

Migueldentis

We’re doing Croatia in October aboard the Quest. I wish to stay within the included beverages on board, and not mistakenly order from the premium beverages, how do I make that happen? Will the bartenders know or do I need to tell them every time?  I might forget! hic. And I don’t want any surprises on my Visa at the end of the trip!  Thanks. 

On 8/11/2022 at 10:38 PM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

We are in Lisbon late November and that sounds like a good plan!   I was on a cruise where we did a passenger driven wine tasting event.  It turned out nicely. 

My wife saved the wine shop address, so if you are looking for a good wine shop, I can recommend:

*  Garrafeira Nacional (Google for locations)

My wine writer friend recommended it.  Or in Porto, Taylor's 'World of Wine' has a wine shop that has excellent regional selections that have been picked for the best, though a bit pricey.

PS, if you are on the Nov 20 Transatlantic, maybe we can meet up to collaborate on picks and share onboard.

Edited by Pizzasteve

On 8/3/2022 at 9:48 PM, jelayne said:

Why not just bring a bottle of your favorite champagne on board.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:48 PM, jelayne said:

Why not just bring a bottle of your favorite champagne on board.

not sure if this got posted twice

One of our cruising traditions is to have Baileys with our morning coffee while we sit on deck We have our own coffee mugs. As baileys is not included in the basic plan we will just bring some on board. My only problem is that our current plans are to be on the Onward for 42 days Jan feb 2023 . Looks like my better half will have to pack lighter to make room for the Baileys. To upgrade just for the baileys does not make financial sense as the rest of the included drinks are 🙂 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

My wife saved the wine shop address, so if you are looking for a good wine shop, I can recommend:

*  Garrafeira Nacional (Google for locations)

My wine writer friend recommended it.  Or in Porto, Taylor's 'World of Wine' has a wine shop that has excellent regional selections that have been picked for the best, though a bit pricey.

PS, if you are on the Nov 20 Transatlantic, maybe we can meet up to collaborate on picks and share onboard.

Thanks.  As for meeting up we are headed to Africa, but it would be nice to share for sure.  

Shame you have to jump two categories to get a more palatable wine offering. However, if your a beer fan you only have to jump one category.

I think it’s time to simplify the beverage package to complimentary or superior. Increase the fares to include complimentary wi-fi as well. All these current add ons cheapen the product. A 20% fare increase for a top level fully inclusive product would be welcomed by some quarters. That includes all specialty dining venues without the gratuity walk of shame at the end of the evening.

12 minutes ago, difranco said:

Shame you have to jump two categories to get a more palatable wine offering. However, if your a beer fan you only have to jump one category.

I think it’s time to simplify the beverage package to complimentary or superior. Increase the fares to include complimentary wi-fi as well. All these current add ons cheapen the product. A 20% fare increase for a top level fully inclusive product would be welcomed by some quarters. That includes all specialty dining venues without the gratuity walk of shame at the end of the evening.

You sound like you want a Luxury cruise line.  Azamara is Premium.  Look into Regent, Seabourn and Silversea [and Crystal if they come back]

• Like 5

2 hours ago, difranco said:

A 20% fare increase for a top level fully inclusive product would be welcomed by some quarters. 

Not by us - adds $2,000 to a $10,000 cruise. We factor in buying  the ultimate package (admittedly helped by 20% Discoverer Plus discount) and we happily pay for the 3 night specialty restaurants. Works out considerably less than 20%. In case you’re not aware, the wifi is, like on other ships, including luxury lines, woeful. I have a portable wifi hot spot device, loaded with data which is usable once you’re at port. Works like wifi should and is inexpensive. Azamara cruises are port intensive, so we can wait until this is usable; and have a technology rest on sea days.

Also, if everyone could freely access the two specialty restaurants, we’d all be limited to a maximum of one night per cruise; given their guest capacity. This is what happens in the luxury lines.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, difranco said:

It would not be welcomed by me, either.  I already receive enough free WiFi, not that I use it while at sea, so why should I have to pay for it?  Also, I don't expect top tier wines to be included for the fares Azamara charge.  I agree with @Host Jazzbeau that you are expecting luxury inclusions on a Premium grade ship.  I sail with Silver Sea and Regent Seven Seas too, but I pay a lot more for those extras as well as larger cabins.  I choose Azamara for what it is, an excellent premium cruise line with great staff.  I am happy just to pay extra for Champagne.

Edited by Port Power
Predictive text making changes!
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, difranco said:

This option already exists. It's called the Ultimate package for which you get the top wine package, free wifi, chef's table, free laundry as well as some tours and spa credit. It adds a lot less than 20% to the cruise. Book any suite and unlimited speciality dining is in there anyway.

I guess any cruise cannot be 100% inclusive otherwise I'd be doing helicopter tours by day and drinking Chateau Petrus by night.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

This option already exists. It's called the Ultimate package for which you get the top wine package, free wifi, chef's table, free laundry as well as some tours and spa credit. It adds a lot less than 20% to the cruise. Book any suite and unlimited speciality dining is in there anyway.

I guess any cruise cannot be 100% inclusive otherwise I'd be doing helicopter tours by day and drinking Chateau Petrus by night.

Yes, it exists it’s called a private yacht 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes, it exists it’s called a private yacht 😂

And that one is definitely out of my price bracket!

Although I did once charter a 40ft catamaran for me and the OH, with just a skipper as company so maybe that counts? No Petrus though, just some Croatian vino....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that Azamara could offer better wines and a couple of licquors in their included package. For example Amarula, Limoncello or Baileys. The Azamara cruise prices are not exactly cheap. But it is a way for the cruise line to get the cruisers to buy the more expensive drink packages. 

By the way nothing is complementary. We pay for the included drinks in the cruise fare. I remember before Azamara went to all inclusive, the prices were more reasonable.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 3

I find $25 daily minus loyalty discount very reasonable for the ultimate package. A single glass of half decent champagne and a Perrier would cost more than $25 in a bar at home. 
Even if I could cruise luxury lines for the same price, I’d choose Azamara. I may complain constantly at paying 100% solo supplement, however, my next three bookings are 25% and the addition of the ultimate package and the Wi-Fi still make for excellent overall value.

Think I’m correct in thinking the vast majority of repeat passengers are more interested in the overall experience provided by Azamara and we could most likely all manage a week with the complementary inclusive drinks if we had to. 
More so with Fever Tree being stocked at the bar. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I’m pretty sure this has been asked and answered, but I can’t recall it, so please indulge me! I know that if you receive the premium beverage upgrade as part of a booking promotion, once onboard you can upgrade to Ultimate for $7 per day (I have done this). But suppose one purchases the premium upgrade as part of an Experience More package. Can one do the same $7 per day upgrade once on board? 

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I’m pretty sure this has been asked and answered, but I can’t recall it, so please indulge me! I know that if you receive the premium beverage upgrade as part of a booking promotion, once onboard you can upgrade to Ultimate for $7 per day (I have done this). But suppose one purchases the premium upgrade as part of an Experience More package. Can one do the same $7 per day upgrade once on board? 

We did that on our April cruise and they also gave us the loyalty discount off the $7 per day cost.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

If you have the Ultimate Beverage package, can you have drinks from it served in your stateroom? We’ve booked it for the first time for our October 22 cruise.

No you cannot based on experience last week