Advice please for Halifax

penlady

Hello.

I will be on the July 1st. sailing to Halifax and although I have cruised a lot over the years I as a rule do not get off the ship on port days because I am not the best at getting around if I walk a distance my back hurts (too much information I know). I would love to try and spend some time in Halifax and am wondering is there anything that I can do where the ship is docked that would not take much effort for getting around? are there any of those carts that give you a ride if you want and are there any stores/ restaurant's that are in easy reach of the ship? I really would appreciate any advice so that I can maybe enjoy some time in Halifax. Also, are there areas where you can just sit down and take all the views in?  Thank you in advance!!

If my memory is correct, just opposite the terminal is a Museum about immigration to Halifax, which is interesting. This is not the main Museum of the North Atlantic, which is in the town and worth a visit if you can possibly get there, but it is just off the ship.

There is the Halifax Seaport Farmers' Market adjacent to the cruise terminal. Plenty of shops and places to eat there within minimal walking distance. There's usually a hop-on-hop-off bus available right outside the terminal offering tours around Halifax which presumably require little or no walking if that might be of interest.

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, Pear Carr said:

Definitely get off and have a gentle stroll! Lots to see within manageable walking distance at your own pace or tours if you prefer. 

Thank you everyone for your encouragement I am definitely going to give it a try. One thought comes to mind when getting off the ship is there a long line or is it best to wait a while then leave the ship?

If you dock directly at Pier 21 - the Canadian Immigration Museum - it is definitely worth a visit - even if you dock at Pier 22.

Take a walk on the boardwalk - see Samuel Cunard - visit the farmer’s market - go and have a beer at the brewer across from Pier 21 -but PLEASE - get off the ship and see a bit of Halifax. It is too nice of a city to ignore.

As I recall there was a sort of farmers market/local crafts shopping set up right at the cruise terminal - just steps away from the ship.  I bought a cheesy replica of "the heart of the ocean" there, and gave it to one of my table mates who was gaga about "Titanic" - she dropped it over the side the last night on board.

I concur with the others about the immigration museum, which we thought was terrific.  But that might mean too much time on your feet.  Take your time getting off the ship to avoid lines.  There are places to sit and eat & drink near the cruise pier.  We think Halifax is a lovely town and are big fans of Canada!

• Like 2

Thank you everyone I will give it my best shot. I have found out in life sometimes the fear of doing something is worse than actually doing it. I wonder are there any other " solos '' on board that may be interested in joining me on my adventure? Please, let me know...

The below Halifax tourist map might give you some ideas for places nearby to the cruise pier, as well as a sense of distances required.  Mrs sfred and I have been to Halifax twice with Cunard, and had a very nice day each time.  There's a Canadian chain of coffee shops called Tim Hortons that has free wifi if you're needing internet access.

image.thumb.png.90944016cbaf2e3c49a14fecfbe7b17c.png

• Thanks 1

I love Halifax. Although we have arrived on Cunard only three times, we have visited by train countless times.

If you need supplies there is  large supermarket and a liquor store very close to the piers. The quickest access is through the VIA Rail station or the Westin Nova Scotian Hotel, or simply walk around those buildings which will take just a few minutes longer..

Several years ago Cunard provided a free shuttle uptown but that convenience is  gone. The city also provided a free shuttle service called FRED but that fell victim to cost-cutting - just like afternoon tea with the mayor once a week. 

There is a tourist mall right at the dock....no need to walk anywhere but "off the ship".  Lots of little stores (not sure about eating).  There is a "boardwalk"....I don't remember if there is seating.  My guess is "yes"....but my memory is foggy!

Once when I was there we did a private tour.  Maybe look into that...so your on your on schedule and stops.

Halifax is a lovely city, and there is so much to do. 

The waterfront boardwalk is delightful to stroll along, the Pier 21 museum (the immigration museum) comes highly recommended, and if you walk 'up' two blocks to Barrington St., there are a number of small independent shops and restaurants and cafes. 

The Superstore on the map above is the supermarket, and there is a liquor store right next to it, from what I recall (although it's been a number of years since I was in Halifax.) 

If you're a beer drinker, the Alexander Keith's brewery is just along Lower Water street from the dock. 

The boardwalk also has a number of benches and spots to sit and take in the views.

Edited by neeuqdrazil
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Halifax is a lovely city, and there is so much to do. 

The waterfront boardwalk is delightful to stroll along, the Pier 21 museum (the immigration museum) comes highly recommended, and if you walk 'up' two blocks to Barrington St., there are a number of small independent shops and restaurants and cafes.

The boardwalk also has a number of benches and spots to sit and take in the views.

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

If you decide to have lunch along the Walkway.

Our favorite we always go to each visit - Salty's Seafood Restaurant

Never Disappointed and beautiful of the Harbor....

I second what @neeuqdraziland @BklynBoy8have said.  If not too far a walk for the OP, the waterfront is a great stroll.  Here is a view of the area from QM2 Deck 11 on our 11 July 2015 sail away.  The cruise pier is at the left, just prior to the cargo cranes. 

image.thumb.png.b52dfc74c0b7f145435d44ccf9b4fd60.png

• Thanks 1

The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic with an excellent exhibit on the Titanic and the Halifax explosion is just a little way up the board walk if you can walk that far. (It is flat) There are restaurants and Beaver Tales and there may be something going on to celebrate Canada Day.  The Historic Properties are along the board walk as well. The hill to the Citadel etc is steep so don't try to do it without transport. I think there are also tour excursion booths along the boardwalk. And I just checked, because it is Canada Day, admission to the Pier 21 museum (on the flat board walk) will be free of charge and so will admission to the Citadel but that is up a steep hill. There will also be a NS Tattoo Parade at 10 am but I don't know the route. Enjoy your day.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 6:47 PM, sfred said:

The below Halifax tourist map might give you some ideas for places nearby to the cruise pier, as well as a sense of distances required.  Mrs sfred and I have been to Halifax twice with Cunard, and had a very nice day each time.  There's a Canadian chain of coffee shops called Tim Hortons that has free wifi if you're needing internet access.

image.thumb.png.90944016cbaf2e3c49a14fecfbe7b17c.png