Positive covid test before cruise

MeganHatcher

Hi all

Myself and my partner were due to cruise with Celebrity 5 weeks ago. Unfortunately, we both tested positive two days before sailing.

I spoke with celebrity to inform them, and they referred us back to the holiday booking company. I have been informed that there is no refund or future cruise credit offered. Celebrity’s T&Cs mention that if proof of a negative test can’t be provided, an alternative cruise will be offered. 
Has anyone been in a similar situation and had a positive outcome?

28 minutes ago, MeganHatcher said:

I spoke with celebrity to inform them, and they referred us back to the holiday booking company.

Who did you book with?

Was this a package put together by a 3rd party? If so then it is their terms that will apply to you rather than Celebrity's.

10 minutes ago, MeganHatcher said:

I should have mentioned, that at the time of informing celebrity of the positive tests, we did provide proof.

Was that proof in the form of a lab test, or other similar report? ... for obvious reasons, photos of a self-test for example, would not be considered as 'proof'.

1 hour ago, MeganHatcher said:

Yes, it was booked before, we booked last September- thank you laslomas.

Who did you book with though?

When you mentioned 'holiday booking company' it suggests that it wasn't booked direct with Celebrity, or booked via a Travel Agent, but some thing else...

• Like 1

Someone has made an error - you are entitled to a full refund minus any penalties that might apply.  We cancelled after I tested positive on the cruise prior.  It took time and called to Celebrity which is what your travel agent needs to do.

I think it depends on when you booked your cruise.    If you booked prior to March 31, 2022 you are covered by the Cruise with Confidence which would allow you to cancel for any reason up until December 31, 2022.    If you tested positive under this policy you would receive either a FCC or a Refund.

If booked after March 31, 2022 the rules drop back to those prior to Covid and if cancel after final payment partial to full penalty are in effect.

I have to say these are from the U.S. site and may be different if from the UK.

Edited by Jim_Iain

It may be a complete red herring, but the reference in the reply from Celebrity to contact the 'holiday booking company' suggests the OP may have purchased a 'package holiday' which included a cruise on a Celebrity ship, the rules for these can be a bit different.

There is a company over here called ROL (Readers Offers Limited) they list all the various cruise company cancellation policies that are more flexible than usual, like the CWC policy from Celebrity, but include the following note:

"Please note: All Flexible Cancellation Policies exclude all exclusive Reader Offers Limited Package Holidays. Standard cancellation rules apply for 2022 departures."

If the OP can confirm who they booked with it may indeed just be a mistake that is easily fixed, but if it was one of the ROL packages that they booked then they need to deal with ROL regarding any cancellations, not Celebrity...

7 hours ago, MeganHatcher said:

It was a private lab test certified by a UK doctor.

You are getting people giving US rules.  The rules in the UK are very different.   Hopefully someone IN THE UK can give the correct answer.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-you-want-a-refund-because-of-coronavirus/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

because there is a complexity of scenarios maybe you can see if any if the above  helps. Did you book a package  with a TA or direct with Celebrity? Abta may also have some advice? You may have to claim via your travel insurance. 

Edited by sunlover33

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think it depends on when you booked your cruise.    If you booked prior to March 31, 2022 you are covered by the Cruise with Confidence which would allow you to cancel for any reason up until December 31, 2022.    If you tested positive under this policy you would receive either a FCC or a Refund.

If booked after March 31, 2022 the rules drop back to those prior to Covid and if cancel after final payment partial to full penalty are in effect.

I have to say these are from the U.S. site and may be different if from the UK.

Sorry Jim, but is your 2nd paragraph not in contradiction to what Jelayne posted today to another OP in this respect ?  Just getting confused and not sure anymore what applies.
 She wrote :

Here is a link to the info you are seeking .  Go through this to the Covid 19!assistance section

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

see towards the end, under Covid Assistance

Edited by Michidoeme
  • Like 1

@Jim_Iain. Below is what is currently on the website relating testing positive before boarding.  It is getting confusing with pre boarding policies and the changing of policies once on A69CBB02-D419-4466-A4EF-7DCCABE27863.thumb.png.acaee8ff48a89abe448d39d884e33651.png ship

• Like 1

I booked in April for a cruise departing next week.  I read the fine print tonight, and the T&C state that if I present evidence of a positive COVID test within 14 days of sailing, I will be either refunded or given a FCC for the full value of my ticket.  While I cannot cancel for any reason as those who booked before April, I will not be penalized (by Celebrity, anyway) if I or my wife tests positive in the days before the cruise.

14 minutes ago, moneeman said:

I booked in April for a cruise departing next week.  I read the fine print tonight, and the T&C state that if I present evidence of a positive COVID test within 14 days of sailing, I will be either refunded or given a FCC for the full value of my ticket.  While I cannot cancel for any reason as those who booked before April, I will not be penalized (by Celebrity, anyway) if I or my wife tests positive in the days before the cruise.

We had a cruise in May, but I got Covid about 11 days before, and didn't test negative in time to go.  That was covered under the Cruise with Confidence.  We then rebooked to mid July.  From reading above, we don't have cancel for any reason but if either of us tests positive and we can't go, we will get a refund or FCC.  At least that's my read on it.  Is that correct?

I don't think that US customers have much to worry about, for the OP in the UK it is a little different, but what protection they have will only become clear once we know if they were booked directly with Celebrity, or if they purchased a package holiday which included a cruise with Celebrity...

Edited by Mark_T

23 hours ago, MeganHatcher said:

It was a private lab test certified by a UK doctor.

16 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You are getting people giving US rules.  The rules in the UK are very different.   Hopefully someone IN THE UK can give the correct answer.

I am in the UK, and the information I quoted earlier in this thread was directly from the Celebrity UK website.  There seems to be two reasons that the OP is entitled to a full refund, explained in the links below. Both links are from UK website. Whether the rules are different on the US website, I do not know.

COVID-19 Cruise Health & Safety Protocols | Celebrity Cruises

Flexible Cancellations & Best Price Guarantee | Celebrity Cruises

Good luck MeganHatcher

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I am in the UK, and the information I quoted earlier in this thread was directly from the Celebrity UK website.  There seems to be two reasons that the OP is entitled to a full refund, explained in the links below.

Both require that the cruise was booked with Celebrity, and that is the bit that the response from Celebrity is putting in doubt, soon as that is cleared up it will be more certain if Celerity have got it wrong...