Non Refundable not clear on X website

Michidoeme

Hope someone can help me as I can not find the info on non refundable on X website.  I have learned several things here already, just want to make sure I understand correctly :

1. If I book non refundable now, I think penalty will be $ 100 pp.  when changing to another cruise, rest of deposit can be transferred as down payment to new booking.

With CwC, which is no longer valid, you could get FCC for the value of the depost minus $ 100 pp to be booked within 12 months - Is this still case now or do you have to transfer booking to specific cruise immediately ?

2. If booking refundable now, I think Jim mentioned that this can be changed to non refundable, which is cheaper,  before final payment (or 90 days before).

However, will this then still be at the rate of the original booking or the rate and/or conditions valid when making the change to non refundable ?  (good when prices go down but otherwise not so..).

Thanks a lot for helping me out with your knowledge.

Your number 1 is correct, but in some cases, Celebrity will waive the $100 fee if you immediately rebook another cruise. We have a B2B on the Edge in 2024 for New Zealand and Australia. We originally booked this cruise for March 2024 with NRD and a couple of months later decided we liked an earlier itinerary better. Our TA got us moved to a January departure and Celebrity waived the $100 fess which for us on a B2B would have been $400 total.

For your number 2 question, yes you can do this, but you also risk the price for your category of cabin could be more expensive when you rebook costing even more. For example, our August Reflection cruise was booked last January when Celebrity had a great sale price and promo for our Sky Suite. We booked with a NRD and if we wanted to rebook today the SS category is $1400pp (NRD) more than when we booked. When we booked if we wanted a full refundable deposit, it was $600 more than the NRD price so if we did what you suggested it would have cost us another $800pp to rebook at the NRD price.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

So they do no longer give FCC anymore for non refundable deposit paid minus $ 100 ?

Other questions came up :

A) if rates should go down before or after final payment, can you still upgrade (with paying difference) if you have a non refundable rate ?

B) or there is a new or better promotion on same sailing, can you

still change to that rate, even if you have a non refundable rate ?

In the past, it was easy to rebook etc, but unfortunately it is no longer clear what can or can not be done with or without penalty or losing deposit.

Edited by Michidoeme

I believe the policy changed for bookings made after Mar 31, 2022. Where you used to get your deposit back minus a $100 pp charge, this has been changed to losing all of your deposit (a true non-refundable). So to answer your question, it has a lot to do with when your booking was made.

58 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Between the 2 yellow marks is the info on NRD.  Screen shot from a mock booking just now.  $100 pp fee remainder in FCC.AE5F7EEC-2266-4BB1-A16F-8CA50551740A.thumb.jpeg.415693a5868508a104479551dbd03040.jpeg

Thanks a lot Jelayne.  I want to make a courtesy booking and went thru all steps, but did not see this anywhere.

4 hours ago, Michidoeme said:

Hope someone can help me as I can not find the info on non refundable on X website.  I have learned several things here already, just want to make sure I understand correctly :

1. If I book non refundable now, I think penalty will be $ 100 pp.  when changing to another cruise, rest of deposit can be transferred as down payment to new booking.

With CwC, which is no longer valid, you could get FCC for the value of the depost minus $ 100 pp to be booked within 12 months - Is this still case now or do you have to transfer booking to specific cruise immediately ?

2. If booking refundable now, I think Jim mentioned that this can be changed to non refundable, which is cheaper,  before final payment (or 90 days before).

However, will this then still be at the rate of the original booking or the rate and/or conditions valid when making the change to non refundable ?  (good when prices go down but otherwise not so..).

Thanks a lot for helping me out with your knowledge.

Here's the official Policy

Non-Refundable Deposit Fare

Non-Refundable Deposit (NRD) fare was introduced by the Celebrity Cruises Ltd. to provide the guests with the lowest available fare at the time of booking.

• When a booking made under NRD fare is cancelled prior to the deposit penalty date, the guest will receive a “Future Cruise Credit (FCC)” certificate for an amount equal to deposit paid less a deduction of USD 100 per person (service fee). FCC is issued in the name of the guest as shown in the reservation, it is non-transferable and expires after 12 months from the cancellation date.

• A service fee of USD 100 per person will apply for a change in Ship / Sail Date of a booking made under the NRD fare and has to be paid once the changes are confirmed.

• Standard Terms & Conditions applies as soon as the bookings moves into deposit penalty.

When shifting your reservation to any cruise it will be repriced at the current fare and perks. This is also true when shifting to a Non-Refundable. I have always made the change when the non-refundable dropped below the price of the Refundable I had booked by more than $200.

You can also receive FCC for the remainder of the deposit instead of shifting to a new cruise.

Thanks Jim

for the TA I am looking at, the difference between NRF and RF rate is 454 $ per room.  Should then be a non brainer really ?

I am just hesitant as I would like go to a higher category later on like we did in the past when rates dropped or they had special deals and we paid a couple dollars extra to get Aqua.    After Covid I am not so sure anymore about the rules and if this would still work with NRF.

Edited by Michidoeme

18 minutes ago, Michidoeme said:

Thanks Jim

for the TA I am looking at, the difference between NRF and RF rate is 454 $ per room.  Should then be a non brainer really ?

I am just hesitant as I would like go to a higher category later on like we did in the past when rates dropped or they had special deals and we paid a couple dollars extra to get Aqua.    After Covid I am not so sure anymore about the rules and if this would still work with NRF.

I would go for it and if a good price on a better room comes up on the same sailing you can upgrade for the difference in far with no penalty as you aren't changing or cancelling the cruise you are on.  (I've recently done this going from a SS to a CS).