AON travel insurance claim

scendro

Is anyone else having issues with getting a refund from AON?  i submitted a claim in early April and hav snot heard anything.  when i checked the status it just says “assigned” and not yet in progress.  when I contacted them by phone all I get is that they haven’t got to the claim yet and that it can take up to 6 months to process. 

Not AON but I did file a claim for a Trip Delay issue with another travel insurance provider.

My claim sat like yours for about 8 weeks. I then filed a complaint with my states Insurance Commissioner because in my State (Washington) the law clearly states that the provider has 30 days after they receive the claim to make a final decision. About a week later, I received my check.

FWIW: I'm sure the insurance companies are struggling post pandemic just like every other company in the world with finding people. An insurance broker that I use said to expect the claims process to take longer than we were used to in the past. (Not that I care one way or the other. That's a THEM problem, not a ME/Customer problem)

Edited by klfrodo

I don't recall who our provider was but we filed a detailed claim for a trip (not cruise related) around April 10th and received payment maybe around June 1st after having briefly contacted our agent who may have made a phone call to spur things along. In our case, we incurred expense because of a positive test (and required quarantine) attempting to fly home from Germany.

No way we take a 'big' trip without insurance right now.  Both our August Alaska Cruisetour and our October European cruise are insured. A 5 nighter out of Miami where my only unrecoverable expense is the pre-cruise hotel... nope.

I submitted a claim with our travel insurance this past February after testing positive and denied boarding. Besides periodic automated email stating due to volume of claims processing would be delayed I heard nothing. This past Saturday received check in the mail so about 4 months. 

Edited by coffeemom67
grammer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, buckeye rob said:

I filed a claim about 6 weeks ago with AON after suffering a stroke in June for our August Pride of America cruise.  Cannot get them to respond.  Have sent in all pertinent medical info.  Gerry.

6 weeks would be MY expectation. However, to be honest and not trying to cover for these people, reality is that you probably won't hear anything for about 12 to 16 weeks.

I had to file a claim with AON in January when BF's mom passed  away 5 days before we were leaving on a B2B. I had to file 2 claims for the 2 cruises. I was assigned case numbers and  would call about every 3 weeks and kept being told its being processed. On one claim they screwed up as they sent it to the wrong cruise line and had to assign a new number so that meant back to square 1. At one point I was told they needed to see if NCL would charge me a penalty, what a penaly for a death! I got the first check at the end of May and the second check about 3 weeks later. 

• 2 weeks later...

I filed a claim with AON on May 11. The first leg of my flight home from London Heathrow was delayed resulting in missing my connecting from San Francisco to Sacramento. The next available flight to  San Francisco was the next day which would have required an overnight hotel stay. My limo service added $300 for transport to my home from San Francisco instead of Sacramento. My claim has been sitting with AON for 4+ months as "assigned" with no disposition. I am a frequent cruiser and have always purchased travel insurance with the cruise lines and this is my first ever claim. My final payment for my next cruise is due next month (October). I will be looking elsewhere for travel insurance and elect not to purchase travel insurance package through Princess Cruises.

23 minutes ago, gmoulton said:

I filed a claim with AON on May 11. The first leg of my flight home from London Heathrow was delayed resulting in missing my connecting from San Francisco to Sacramento. The next available flight to  San Francisco was the next day which would have required an overnight hotel stay. My limo service added $300 for transport to my home from San Francisco instead of Sacramento. My claim has been sitting with AON for 4+ months as "assigned" with no disposition. I am a frequent cruiser and have always purchased travel insurance with the cruise lines and this is my first ever claim. My final payment for my next cruise is due next month (October). I will be looking elsewhere for travel insurance and elect not to purchase travel insurance package through Princess Cruises.

Have you considered contacting your state's Insurance Commissioner's Office?

Insurance is regulated by the states....

Good luck!

GC

• Thanks 2

I followed a claim in May for our Windstar (Star Breeze) Alaskan cruise that we had to cancel.  When I check the status, it says "assigned" and "not yet in progress".  Have made repeated phone calls and have sent emails which generate a "form" letter in reply.  I spoke to Windstar rep today and was told that they only contract with AON and beyond that, they can't help us.  It's really a shame as we have taken 9 cruises on Windstar. I am going to try one more attempt, sending an email to guest services at Windstar.   My husband and I have decided that our last trip (returned 2 weeks ago) which was fabulous in Tahiti will be our last with Windstar.  The crew and service on board is outstanding.  However, dealing with corporate is not a pleasant experience.  

14 hours ago, Whitecap Bugs said:

I followed a claim in May for our Windstar (Star Breeze) Alaskan cruise that we had to cancel.  When I check the status, it says "assigned" and "not yet in progress".  Have made repeated phone calls and have sent emails which generate a "form" letter in reply.  I spoke to Windstar rep today and was told that they only contract with AON and beyond that, they can't help us.  It's really a shame as we have taken 9 cruises on Windstar. I am going to try one more attempt, sending an email to guest services at Windstar.   My husband and I have decided that our last trip (returned 2 weeks ago) which was fabulous in Tahiti will be our last with Windstar.  The crew and service on board is outstanding.  However, dealing with corporate is not a pleasant experience.  

Understand your frustration, however, I'm going to come from another angle.

Windstar only "sells" the insurance as a one stop convenience. (Plus, the commission they receive)

Just like if your car was involved in an accident. Are you going to work with the car dealership for remedy? Or, do you work with the insurance company? The dealership can't help. They have no dog in the fight.

Now, had you used a Travel Insurance broker for your insurance needs, now you have an advocate who has contacts who can possibly help.

To add on to Geezers post about the insurance commissioner, I've had to do that myself here in Washington. They helped me out.

Here is a link for residents of California.

Getting Help (ca.gov)

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2022 at 8:20 AM, klfrodo said:

My claim sat like yours for about 8 weeks. I then filed a complaint with my states Insurance Commissioner because in my State (Washington) the law clearly states that the provider has 30 days after they receive the claim to make a final decision. About a week later, I received my check.

I am waiting on AON to work with a claim we submitted October 25, 2022. After waiting in the "assigned" status for 39 days, we received an email from AON asking for us to submit the claim to our primary and/or supplemental medical insurers. Then to submit the response letter from our insurers to them for review. They have found a way to stretch the 30 days to much longer. Letting us know about this "additional documentation" at the very beginning would have been nice; it isn't like they didn't know they would want something this generic during the initial submission.

I went on the Washington State Insurance Commissioner's site and found the following paragraph in the section where I could begin a complaint: 

"We are currently experiencing a backlog in complaint cases. We plan on reviewing your case within 45 business days of submitting your complaint.  This may take longer depending on circumstances. Thank you for your patience."

Not sure how @klfrodo got such a quick response. 

It seems to me that the entire insurance industry, including the state regulatory systems, are all working short and delaying the consumer's resolution timeline. Makes me think twice before adding travel insurance to any cruise. I know that the expense of not having insurance can be great but is there any guarantee that even after purchasing the insurance that any resolution will take place within our lifetime.

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I am waiting on AON to work with a claim we submitted October 25, 2022. After waiting in the "assigned" status for 39 days, we received an email from AON asking for us to submit the claim to our primary and/or supplemental medical insurers. Then to submit the response letter from our insurers to them for review. They have found a way to stretch the 30 days to much longer. Letting us know about this "additional documentation" at the very beginning would have been nice; it isn't like they didn't know they would want something this generic during the initial submission.

I went on the Washington State Insurance Commissioner's site and found the following paragraph in the section where I could begin a complaint: 

"We are currently experiencing a backlog in complaint cases. We plan on reviewing your case within 45 business days of submitting your complaint.  This may take longer depending on circumstances. Thank you for your patience."

It seems to me that the entire insurance industry, including the state regulatory systems, are all working short and delaying the consumer's resolution timeline. Makes me think twice before adding travel insurance to any cruise. I know that the expense of not having insurance can be great but is there any guarantee that even after purchasing the insurance that any resolution will take place within our lifetime.

Open a case with the Better Business Bureau.  I had to drag Expedia through them to get a refund for flights.  Twice.  The first time they agreed I was entitled to a refund and said they would issue one.  The second one a few months later, when they hadn't issued it, and I told the BBB they had operated in bad faith in the resolution.  They didn't want to explain why they lied to the BBB, so they issued the refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Typically, travel insurance is secondary meaning you have to file with your primary insurance before submitting a claim under the travel policy. Whatever AON’s other problems are, asking for this documentation is not a ploy to delay. It is just part of the process that might have been avoided if you had known your policy is secondary.

You can easily determine that by looking at the summary description on the websites selling travel insurance. The type of policy is a line item. If you buy from a TA, that person should be able to tell you. Ideally, you would buy from a broker who could help you find the right policy and guide you through the claims process when necessary. Otherwise, you just have to read the policy yourself, which is a good idea anyway.

For future reference, primary travel insurance is available. Some people prefer it for the convenience of filing one claim and not having to involve their insurance. Others seek it out because it preserves the lifetime limit on foreign travel imposed by Medicare supplement plans.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1.  Where do travelers go for help when their claims are repeatedly delayed?  

2.  On average, how long should it take to pay a claim when there are no issues, 3 months, 6 months?  Other?

3.  Do the cruise lines selling these insurance products have any responsibility, they collected my money.

thank you

Cruise Line:  Princess

Insurance:  AON Infinity 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jtn said:

1.  Where do travelers go for help when their claims are repeatedly delayed?  

2.  On average, how long should it take to pay a claim when there are no issues, 3 months, 6 months?  Other?

3.  Do the cruise lines selling these insurance products have any responsibility, they collected my money.

thank you

Cruise Line:  Princess

Insurance:  AON Infinity 

As mentioned above, insurance is regulated by the states.

So one source of help, if all else fails, is to contact your state's Insurance Commissioner's Office.

It might help, before doing that, to tell the insurer that if you don't get resolution (or a response or whatever the next step should be) then you will contact that office.  Perhaps suggest that you expect they acknowledge receipt of that email or -->> a certified letter, signature required/etc., within, say, 10 days or such.

GC

After a 6 month wait AON finally resolved my trip delay claim I filed in April. AON did compensate us in full. Our cruise was a TA to Copenhagen with a continuing Baltic itinerary returning to Copenhagen. Due to the Russia invasion of Ukraine several ports were canceled and/or changed. Our final port of Copenhagen was changed to Southampton. Needless to say, their were undoubtedly considerable claims filed with AON. Doesn't excuse the lengthy delay but was certainly a factor. 

• Like 3

I am still waiting for medical reimbursement from NCL cruise in July 2022. Submitted claim at the end of August. Included Medicare denial for both ship medical center and Bermuda Hospital. NCL is no help at all. Bought “Platinum” insurance coverage when booking the cruise with PCC. Such a joke. 

My Husband and I were going on a Carnival cruise to Bermuda on July 17,  2022 and we had to take a Covid test two days prior. My Husband was negative but I tested positive. So I called Carnival to let them know and they gave me the information to put in a claim for AON travel insurance. Carnival cancelled our  Cruise and said we would get a refund for $3000 plus. I filled out AON's questionnaire with proof that we took our tests at an Urgent Care and the Dr gave me the paperwork for the medical proof. Today January 24, 2023 after waiting over 6 months for the refund I received an email that I would be sent  a CHECK for $400. 

In October 2022 we were on a 7 day Royal Caribbean cruise, We were on the Ship two nights and the next day we were in the Port of Cozumel. When we were walking back to the ship my Husband had a Medical Emergency and the Medical Center on the Ship treated him and they charged almost $1000. for their services but they helped me pack our luggage while they took him in an Ambulance to the Hospital in Cozumel. We spent 4 1/2 days in the Hospital. The Hospital charged over $1400. Our AARP United Health Care Supplemental Insurance did not pay anything. We had the same AON Travel Insurance, What good is it if we don't get any refunds or any reimbursements?  Beware !!!

• Like 2

Not enough information to know what happened. Did the insurance company say why they were paying only $400? 

What policy did you have? One purchased from Carnival? AON administers the claims for several cruise lines, but they are not the underwriters.

It sounds as if your supplement does not cover foreign travel. Not all of them do. Did you then use the denial to submit a claim with your travel insurance?

• Like 1