No Skagway

lizinindy

1 hour ago, ImperialLady said:

So if Discovery can't go to either skagway or ISP, where will it go??  

The Majestic went to Haines earlier this week.  From the schedule it does look like ISP can handle more than 2 ships at a time, there may just be size restrictions at some of the berths.

13 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The Majestic went to Haines earlier this week.  From the schedule it does look like ISP can handle more than 2 ships at a time, there may just be size restrictions at some of the berths.

Thanks.  I am kinda hoping we go to ISP...we have been to Skagway, so it would be nice to go to a new port. And ISP is getting good reviews.

6 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

Thanks.  I am kinda hoping we go to ISP...we have been to Skagway, so it would be nice to go to a new port. And ISP is getting good reviews.

FYI... There really is nothing to speak of in ISP. The port area is composed of 5 or 6 warehouses with shops, and a few restaurants for cruise passengers. One LOOOONG Zipline, thats about a mile long, where you reach a speed of 60mph, all for $135, and your done in about 45 seconds. The town, if you want to call it that, is about 1 1/2 mile walk, where you'll find run down homes, and One Old Local Bar, that doubles as a restaurant. That's about it. 

If you want stores then you will be disappointed in ISP. I wanted to be outside so loved it. I can shop at home. Although I also have redwoods at home (including 3 at my house) I don't have bears and few large eagles. Saw an eagle pick up a smallish animal (house cat size) guess it wanted dinner too

Lots of scat. Some with bones. So 2 kinds of large predators.  Maybe bears?? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

FYI... There really is nothing to speak of in ISP. The port area is composed of 5 or 6 warehouses with shops, and a few restaurants for cruise passengers. One LOOOONG Zipline, thats about a mile long, where you reach a speed of 60mph, all for $135, and your done in about 45 seconds. The town, if you want to call it that, is about 1 1/2 mile walk, where you'll find run down homes, and One Old Local Bar, that doubles as a restaurant. That's about it. 

In other words, it is a great deal to enjoy the ship, have a leisurely breakfast, nice lunch, and a great dinner.  Take in some entertainment and possibly spend some time in Churchill's. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

If you want stores then you will be disappointed in ISP. I wanted to be outside so loved it. I can shop at home. Although I also have redwoods at home (including 3 at my house) I don't have bears and few large eagles. Saw an eagle pick up a smallish animal (house cat size) guess it wanted dinner too

Lots of scat. Some with bones. So 2 kinds of large predators.  Maybe bears?? 

I look forward to experiencing various parts of Alaska. I live in the middle of the country and have never seen a redwood in person. I like to be outdoors too...I thought this article was interesting and informative. https://cruisemaven.com/best-things-to-do-icy-strait-point-alaska/

Edited by ImperialLady
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

Thanks for the info!