Royal Caribbean refusing to reimburse me for Covid isolation expenses

When my wife got Covid onboard the Vision of the Seas in April we were given a letter that stated we had two options once we got off the cruise ship:

If we lived within driving distance, we could 1. Drive our own car or 2, Rent a car and be reimbursed up to 150 dollars a day for the car rental.

If we didn't live within driving distance, we should isolate for a total of 5 days before flying home.

We chose to rent a car (i didnt have covid and was able to rent the car without close contact) and drove home rather than flying.

The problem is, after months of emails, Royal Caribbean is now refusing to reimburse me for the car rental because they stated it "took place during the quarantine period".  Has anyone else received issues with Royal Caribbean refusing to pay for the CDC mandated covid protocols and expenses?

14 hours ago, jaygatsby27 said:

Has anyone else received issues with Royal Caribbean refusing to pay for the CDC mandated covid protocols and expenses?

Email a short explanation to mbayley@rccl.com. 

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I always thing that once off the ship, you are on your own.  I don't even understand why the ship would be responsible for you or your expenses.  

I can understand that but its because its a condition of the CDC allowing the cruise ships to sail.  Otherwise, if people get covid, they get right back on an airplane and infect other passengers because it might be too expensive for them to do the right thing.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I can understand that but its because its a condition of the CDC allowing the cruise ships to sail.  Otherwise, if people get covid, they get right back on an airplane and infect other passengers because it might be too expensive for them to do the right thing.  

Carnival reimbursed nothing. Lucky you were on rcl. All cdc made them do was provide a list of hotel names where you can isolate. Carnival you isolate on your own dime, dont know about their other brands like princess. It was not a cdc condition they reimburse you or cover costs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I always thing that once off the ship, you are on your own.  I don't even understand why the ship would be responsible for you or your expenses.  

Because they said they would?  To me, that's the point.  If they gave a letter to passengers saying they'll reimburse rental car expenses, then they should reimburse rental car expenses.  

Is it too much to ask companies to do what they say they will do?

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Because they said they would?  To me, that's the point.  If they gave a letter to passengers saying they'll reimburse rental car expenses, then they should reimburse rental car expenses.  

Is it too much to ask companies to do what they say they will do?

Yes, it is not their responsibility if you get sick, and can't prove where you got sick

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Yes, it is not their responsibility if you get sick, and can't prove where you got sick

Yes, it is their responsibility since that’s what they said they would do. What if a business promised you something and they didn’t provide it? I’m sure your tune would change.

• Like 20

43 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

His office actually responds?  Okay, i'll give that a shot as well.  

Yes, they usually do. Don’t let this go until they make it right. They reimbursed me about a week or so later. I never had to call.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I get that.  And I would have no problem with them saying "your cruise is over, you're on your own".  BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY SAID.  Personally I believe if anyone (business or person) says "this is what we're going to do", that's what they should do.  Apparently you have no problem making promises you're not willing to keep. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

My refund came in about 3 weeks, still waiting on hotel/food reimbursement. 

Thanks.  I've been waiting about a month and again my only response was "we're not reimbursing you" so we will see what happens next.

4 hours ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I did exactly that.  Thanks for that pro tip, I think it will make the difference. 

No need to be rude, i understand your frustrated. Sometimes people forget the obvious or lose documents. Also you never stated you sent the letter with your emails.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

No need to be rude, i understand your frustrated. Sometimes people forget the obvious or lose documents. Also you never stated you sent the letter with your emails.

I was thanking you for your assistance.  How was that rude?  I think you may have misread my message. 

Edited by jaygatsby27
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival reimbursed nothing. Lucky you were on rcl. All cdc made them do was provide a list of hotel names where you can isolate. Carnival you isolate on your own dime, dont know about their other brands like princess. It was not a cdc condition they reimburse you or cover costs. 

Its funny.  During the initial return RCL was promising to fly any passengers home on a private jet that got covid and here we are at the other end of things where they do almost nothing. 

5 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

Its funny.  During the initial return RCL was promising to fly any passengers home on a private jet that got covid and here we are at the other end of things where they do almost nothing. 

Those charter flights they did up thru December, I think, had to cost a pretty penny.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I think people are doing this regardless.  Even when it is all comped.  They just don’t want to be stuck for 5 days regardless of who is paying for it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaygatsby27 said:

Thanks.  I've been waiting about a month and again my only response was "we're not reimbursing you" so we will see what happens next.

The cruise line initiated the prorated refund of my cruise fare and that is what I have received so far.  I sent my hotel receipts and food receipts over three weeks ago and received an email saying it will take 30 days for reimbursement.  I have not heard anything else concerning that reimbursement.  I did receive a survey for the cruise fare refund experience.  I will wait at least the 30 days they said and go from there.  Hopefully, I don't receive a denied like you did.  I think whoever processed yours made a mistake.  I hope you get it resolved soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

My refund came in about 3 weeks, still waiting on hotel/food reimbursement. 

Luckily we didn’t have to wait on hotel and food refunds since we didn’t have any. They also drove us home since we live about 5 miles from the port and didn’t want to get in an Uber. 

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I didn’t think he was being rude. He stated what he did and thanked you. I know sometimes comments come across differently online than what it’s meant to. Cheers. 🥂

• Like 1

CNBC has a poll right now which of these beaten down stocks would you rather buy royal Caribbean, netflix, .. I'll bet rcl doesnt win. They also are saying ccl could go to $0. They will announce the winner before the next hour. I was on FBN who was talking ccl and changed to CNBC. Cant get away from them bad mouthing cruise stocks today. They are hurting for money it seems.

Times have changed since rcl flew people with covid home, covid has changed. I dont expect these procedures to continue indefinitely. Definitely get your money back that was promised, while the getting is good.