Royal Caribbean refusing to reimburse me for Covid isolation expenses

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The cruise line initiated the prorated refund of my cruise fare and that is what I have received so far.  I sent my hotel receipts and food receipts over three weeks ago and received an email saying it will take 30 days for reimbursement.  I have not heard anything else concerning that reimbursement.  I did receive a survey for the cruise fare refund experience.  I will wait at least the 30 days they said and go from there.  Hopefully, I don't receive a denied like you did.  I think whoever processed yours made a mistake.  I hope you get it resolved soon.

Yes I’m hoping it was a mistake by someone. 

1 minute ago, jaygatsby27 said:

Yes I’m hoping it was a mistake by someone. 

What happened to your airline tickets? Did you cancel and get travel credit? If so I’d think that amount should off set the car rental price. Unless you lost those monies.

10 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

What happened to your airline tickets? Did you cancel and get travel credit? If so I’d think that amount should off set the car rental price. Unless you lost those monies.

That's like the Op paying for something that the Cruise line promised in their correspondence.

19 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Disagree.  Travel Credit doesn't help pay for rental car.  If the airline gave them a true refund, then maybe.  But, IMO, what financial transaction between the airline and me is no business of Royal.

Also, ROYAL SAID THEY WOULD REIMBURSE FOR A CAR.  Now they say they won't.  That is wrong.  How anyone can defend that is beyond me. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

But these reimbursements are meant to make a person whole not meant to be a windfall. 

But if the airline give "travel credits", that maintains the customer as "whole" when it comes to the airline.  

Reimbursing for a rental car is NOT a "windfall".  It makes the customer "whole". 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But if the airline give "travel credits", that maintains the customer as "whole" when it comes to the airline.  

Reimbursing for a rental car is NOT a "windfall".  It makes the customer "whole". 

Well I respectfully disagree. If I paid for a flight to get home from a cruise then I get that money back in travel credit from the airline which I would use at another time saving me from spending more money and then the cruise line pays for my rental car and I drive home from the same cruise, then yes I see that as a windfall. 

Edited by Jerseygirl1416

18 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Email a short explanation to mbayley@rccl.com. 

You do understand that the public facing email addresses for execs are routed to an off-shore call center where call center personnel not associated with the Exec use pre-approved canned responses to reply. The execs have no desire to look at thousands of complaints a day. Kinda like emailing the president of the united states, he would never see anything from the public. 

• Haha 1

The letter seems fairly clear.

Some are adding issues not addressed in the letter, or mentioned by the OP as being asked about.  If that is the set of facts of this issue, they should pay what he has receipts and can prove were expenses.  That is what they stated they would do.

All the rest is just noise.

We have as much sea lawyering going on around here as I saw in the Marine Corps.  I guess that includes me!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You do understand that the public facing email addresses for execs are routed to an off-shore call center where call center personnel not associated with the Exec use pre-approved canned responses to reply. The execs have no desire to look at thousands of complaints a day. Kinda like emailing the president of the united states, he would never see anything from the public. 

While true, the organization I work for prioritizes customer satisfaction emails sent to our head honcho. If you send an email to a general contact address, yes, that email will get forwarded to me if it regards my area of expertise, but there’s no real followup from anyone to make sure i responded. If someone sends an email to our leadership, then at minimum, her underlings will send me the email and ask personally that I follow up with the customer. I’m under no illusions that she sees the email herself, but she has a staff that makes sure the email goes answered.

Royal is considerably larger than the organization I work for, but I’m sure it’s still a similar process, where emails sent to the executive leadership team have some sort of prioritization or routing system in place to make sure there is a satisfactory response.

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

That's not what I have experienced.  I've sent emails (and years ago, mailed letters) to the executive offices of several companies when I have had very poor customer service interactions.  In every case, I have received a phone call from a US-based representative who had the ability and authority to address my problems.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not a chronic complainer looking for freebies, and it takes quite a bit to push me over the edge to escalate my problems.  

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Why do you continue to repeat this when it isn’t true?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Well I respectfully disagree. If I paid for a flight to get home from a cruise then I get that money back in travel credit from the airline which I would use at another time saving me from spending more money and then the cruise line pays for my rental car and I drive home from the same cruise, then yes I see that as a windfall. 

Maybe it is a windfall, but that’s not what Royal promised. They said they would pay for the car rental and said nothing about it depending on if they received a refund or credit from the airline. What if they received a credit from the airline and something happened where they can’t travel anymore? Then what? They would be out of that money. Royal isn’t an insurance company that says if you receive a refund from this then we will only pay the difference.

18 hours ago, jaygatsby27 said:

His office actually responds?  Okay, i'll give that a shot as well.  

Yes someone in his office or it’s forwarded to someone who will usually respond. 

I am getting poor service from a matter regarding the estate of my MIL from a major bank . I fire off an email to the office of the president and i do get a response from a customer relations manager , so it trickles down to someone

that will actually direct somebody to do something.

It has helped as you know that old saying of how it flows downhill.

I know it doesnt get to the President , but i do get some action and response.

So , advising the OP to contact the office of the big guy is appropriate.

• Like 1

I have sent my request to 3 customer service agents, including "mbaylee".  Still no response from RCCL, except a form letter with 3 links. One of the links stated that Royal would reimburse us, if we contracted Covid with 10 DAYS of sailing. We were tested the day after we got off the ship, (a transatlantic), and had Covid. Obviously, since we did not even get off the ship. Hopefully, they will do the right thing. We have been "loyal to Royal" for many years. 

On 6/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, jaygatsby27 said:

His office actually responds?  Okay, i'll give that a shot as well.  

Yes. 4 weeks ago had 3 issues 2 which were complicated. After I emailed Sat nite his assistant and I responded back/forth Monday. She even offered do extra work for me, all completed from my first email in less then 48hrs. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

So did your wife isolate for 5 days before you rented the car?  That is the only thing that seems ambiguous in the letter.

The drive home in your own car mentions finishing isolation at home possibility.  The rental car does not.

One letter with no terms/conditions is no way to make things clear especially with so many referrals to the CDC.

Perhaps if they keep saying no refund, try for OBC?