Woodwind snorkeling 6/23/22

lambstew

Just wanted to highly recommend Woodwind for snorkeling tours.

We have done many excursions, and this one is by far the best organized and best run excursion we have ever taken.

It is a short walk once you get off the boat.

The things that set them apart:

Before you get in the water - they size you for masks and fins.  If you bring your own, they will defog your masks

They provide short and long sleeve snorkel shirts if you want to borrow one

They divide the boat into 5-8 people groups and they have a guide for each group.

The guide will show you different fish as  you go along

They drop you off uptide and let you drift back to the boat - however the boat is available to pick you up at any point if you need

The first spot was about 35 minutes of water time, and the second spot was slightly shorter

When  you get back on the boat - you hold onto a yellow rope and they come behind you and remove your fins, and hand them to you once you are back on the boat.

They have a wide variety of drinks available -  alcoholic and regular

They provided orange slices, a plate of food (noodles and chicken) and cheesecake

Just can't recommend them highly enough!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Our CC group we did Klein Bonaire twice with Wim on the Woodwind. Best snorkel tour on Bonaire hands down. You never know what your going to see. Snorkeling is easily some of the best in the Southern Caribbean. 

Wim was the guy who owned the  Woodwind for years. We had 2 different CC groups that snorkeled Klein Bonaire off the Woodwind with WIM from the Netherlands. Last I heard he was working for the cruise lines I assume he has since sold The Woodwind. 

I previously posted reviews about the tour and Bonaire altogether, started going to Bonaire in 2007 when it first opened to cruise ships been here a half a dozen times since. I love the island, all the progress being made is great BUT #1 I'm getting to old for serious snorkeling especially something like Klein Bonaire and #2 there's really not anything else I want to see or do on the island. #3 if you don't snorkel there's nothing else to do. 

Great island though. 🙂

Nothing affects Woodwind's excellent reputation, but recommend you check your facts. 

Dee and Ulf have been the owner / operators for well over 10 years, and remain so, indicated by a one month old FB post. 

They are the soul of the fantastic service, so to indicate that they have moved on is a disservice. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Nothing affects Woodwind's excellent reputation, but recommend you check your facts. 

Dee and Ulf have been the owner / operators for well over 10 years, and remain so, indicated by a one month old FB post. 

They are the soul of the fantastic service, so to indicate that they have moved on is a disservice. 

I didn't indicate anything Wim may have moved on. I heard last time he was not operating the Woodwind anymore it's been awhile back and started working for Carnival. I have no interest in disserving anybody. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, lambstew said:

We have done many excursions, and this one is by far the best organized and best run excursion we have ever taken.

Before you get in the water - they size you for masks and fins.  If you bring your own, they will defog your masks

They divide the boat into 5-8 people groups and they have a guide for each group.

They drop you off uptide and let you drift back to the boat - however the boat is available to pick you up at any point if you need

The first spot was about 35 minutes of water time, and the second spot was slightly shorter

When  you get back on the boat - you hold onto a yellow rope and they come behind you and remove your fins, and hand them to you once you are back on the boat.

They provided orange slices, a plate of food (noodles and chicken) and cheesecake

Great to hear.  We are going on them in September.

37 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I too can confirm that snorkelling with Woodwind is a quality experience- having done it twice.

That’s great to hear! We’ve booked with them for our Southern cruise on the Celebration next July.

Ah ha - there's where the pp's confusion was.

I tried Compass Bonaire just once.

While the snorkeling at the marine park was good, and a change from Woodwind's Klein Bonaire drift spots, the captain, boat and service were nowhere even close to the same league as Woodwind. 

On 8/1/2022 at 3:00 PM, divamimi312 said:

Great to hear.  We are going on them in September.

You will have a fabulous time.

I have snorkeled all over the world.  This was the best experience I have ever had.  

They are fantastic people.

I still pull up photos they took on our trip, when I need a mental vacation.

You can purchase the complete download of pics they preview for you. So glad I did this, they are beautiful. Especially the ones with the sea turtles and our group . 

We are sailing again this October but, unfortunately not stopping at Bonaire.  

Definately, an amazing experience .

(this is a protected reef area and is like snorkeling in an aquarium.)

Have a fantastic trip.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:33 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

Thanks for sharing. I have heard they are amazing. If I am reading this correctly, there is less than an hour of snorkeling?

NO.

We went out to Kleine Bonaire on Catamaran. That is when you get fitted for masks, snorkels etc. Did not use what I had brought. Their equipment was top notch.

First stop is where many schools of fish can be found.  About 30 minutes in water. back on board. then to another side for Coral forests and the area they are farming stag horn coral to be reintroduced to beds that are declining. Saw perhaps 30 types of corals.  That is another 30 minutes.

Then back onboard, we went to the other side of island for the sea turtles .  It is a much more shallow area and we hung out patiently . The sea turtles came to our area and we were able to watch and photograph them.  Another 20-30 minutes.

Then back onboard, and lunch had been prepared.

Great food and drinks.  I had my rum punch  after the second snorkel tour. I thought we were done.

But, no.  They had more for us.  Switched to non alcohol when I realized this.

We ate until we came to Turtle bay.  

You will be very happy with your experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Wow! Again,, second time with Woodwind and it was even better!!! The people and attention to detail are the best … onboard and behind the scenes!  I’ve quoted words that I repeat to others all the time!! 
Dec 7 2022 

Edited by meester_jamie
Duplicate,, sigh lol sorry

On 6/29/2022 at 11:37 AM, lambstew said:

On 8/19/2022 at 5:50 PM, phissy said:

You will have a fabulous time.

I have snorkeled all over the world.  This was the best experience I have ever had.  

They are fantastic people.

I still pull up photos they took on our trip, when I need a mental vacation.

You can purchase the complete download of pics they preview for you. So glad I did this, they are beautiful. Especially the ones with the sea turtles and our group . 

We are sailing again this October but, unfortunately not stopping at Bonaire.  

Definately, an amazing experience .

(this is a protected reef area and is like snorkeling in an aquarium.)

Have a fantastic trip.

Wow! Again,, second time with Woodwind and it was even better!!! The people and attention to detail are the best … onboard and behind the scenes!  I’ve quoted words that I repeat to others all the time!! 
Dec 7 2022 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love this excursion but am dealing with a knee issue. I can't remember having a problem with the stairs going back onto boat last time    can someone comment on ease of regarding from the water with a problem knee. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 8:56 PM, peggy1 said:

I love this excursion but am dealing with a knee issue. I can't remember having a problem with the stairs going back onto boat last time    can someone comment on ease of regarding from the water with a problem knee. Thanks

I don't recall specifically how the stairs were to get back on board, but the last time we sailed with Woodwind, I was not feeling particularly well, and they were extremely helpful, far beyond what you might expect of a tour operator, with getting me in and out of the water and actually towing me to some extent so I could still enjoy the snorkeling. I expect they would just as helpful with your issue, and you could likely use your good leg to "hop" up the stairs, holding on to the railing and getting some assistance.

• 1 month later...

If you've booked or snorkeled with Woodwind, did they send any kind of confirmation of your reservation? I got a hold of them on Facebook and reserved for our visit in January, but they said no need for anything emailed, just show up on the day. Just wanted to check that's what others have experienced. 

12 hours ago, Sarahg0915 said:

If you've booked or snorkeled with Woodwind, did they send any kind of confirmation of your reservation? I got a hold of them on Facebook and reserved for our visit in January, but they said no need for anything emailed, just show up on the day. Just wanted to check that's what others have experienced. 

Yes, that's all you need.  When you get the meeting place, Rolf will have your name.  You will have a great time.    When you get off of your ship and outside of the gated port area, face the water, and to your left is the direction to walk to the meeting place.  We are going to Bonaire for a week in May and have Woodwind reserved for one of those days can't wait.  

Edited by topspot